Charles Fischer

You Know Who is REALLY in Agony Right Now?

Picture the poor Beaver fan who knows that if the Pac-12 dissolves--his team is headed to the Mountain West.  But the one team who can keep the conference together...who can save their flat-tails is the team they hate more than they love Oregon State.

Yep, it's Oregon.

That has to create quite a pit in their stomach as they go to sleep...

Do they deserve it?

OSU Fan_Kevin Cline.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

The little sister... ! Er, brothers of the poor, have no more control over the future of the PAC12, uh, 10, 9... whatever than Wazzu, Cal or a couple other faceless residents of this once Conference of Champions.

Hopefully there is some stroke of genius in the wings to light the path ahead.

Are you afraid of the dark?

Oddly enough, I'm, not...yet!

I mean to be honest... The rivalry has value. And though contests with Ohio State may be fun, they would take about a hundred years before they had the same meaning as those we play against the Beavers.

Rivalries give sports meaning. 

And oh how we LOVE to HATE our rivals and that hate can only manifest itself by being distilled for decades. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't have any real hate for the Beavs, yes I know they hate us with the power of a thousand suns, but I have enough friends who are Beavers that I really feel horrible for them, they don't deserve this, same with Wazzu.  It's especially frustrating when you think about how programs like Rutgers, Indiana or Purdue get to skate by with no real care in the world.  

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

My family is literally split 50/50 between beavs and ducks, including degrees.

I've had cousins who were basketball players at Oregon,  and my stepfather played d-line for the beavs just prior to Pearl Harbor.

I'd hate to see that tradition end.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 7/28/2023 at 10:05 PM, spartan2785 said:

I don't have any real hate for the Beavs, yes I know they hate us with the power of a thousand suns, but I have enough friends who are Beavers that I really feel horrible for them, they don't deserve this, same with Wazzu.  It's especially frustrating when you think about how programs like Rutgers, Indiana or Purdue get to skate by with no real care in the world.  

I tell my Beaver colleagues all the time that I want the Beavers to win 11 of 12 games a year. They are probably my 2nd team in truth. One of my Beaver colleague friends is a great guy and a lot of fun to talk football with and that rivalry game has really been a huge part of the state's culture. In a lot of ways its why I would really love to see the Ducks and Huskies (vomit) stick it out with the Pac if it was possible but that isn't football these days. Rivalries are dying.

I mean that is probably a large part of why Colorado had their eye on the door basically since they joined the conference. They didn't have any rivalries in the conference and that does put a dampener on fan interest. It didn't help that they also the doormat of the Pac for all but really a season and a half (the Covid season). But the Pac tried to "build" a rivalry between Colorado and Utah and that failed. Utah instead built some starts to some rivalries in the Pac while Colorado was repeatedly stomped on. For rivalries to develop there needs to be a back-and-forth. The funny thing is that returning to the Big-12 won't have their two biggest rivals (Nebraska and Oklahoma) aren't even in the conference anymore.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I’m with the “have no real hate” crowd. Love to thump them and am anguished when the beat us (fortunately rare) but they are more like an obnoxious little brother, loved as long as they know their place. 

Definitely worried about them if the PAC disintegrates. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Indifference would be my position on the Beavs. I hate losing to them but I only watch them once or twice a year.

Rooted for them last year v. USC. but I could care less about them. If they were more competitive I might be more passionate in rooting for their demise. 

As it stands now... Meh

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/29/2023 at 8:50 AM, Log Haulin said:

If they were more competitive I might be more passionate in rooting for their demise. 

Only the worst fans root for the demise of their rivals through something as horrendous as conference realignment. That's no way to "defeat" a rival. 

USC fans have been doing it for a year how they have destroyed Oregon by leaving the conference. 

Sports is played on a field... That's where the competition is. 

I know you're indifferent to the beavers ... But I know I also want the Huskies to survive so that we can continue to kick their rears on the field. Last year was a hiccup but this year they'll feel the pain return. 

I hate all this realignment stuff but since we're going there, let's go there. Let's say the Pac fully craters and UO and fuskies go BIG and UU, UA and ASU go B12. That would leave OSU, WSU, Cal and Stanford. What if they brought in SD St, Fresno St, Boise St, UNLV, Nevada and maybe CSU? That would be a ten team conference that would still have three to four top 25 football teams. It wouldn't be as solid as the old Pac but it would be better than the old Mountain West.

They could still get a playoff spot for a conference champion and with the heavy hitters out of the way, the road to the playoffs would be easier for these schools. The TV contract and payout would likely be much smaller but there could be an upside for the remaining schools.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can remember a time when a much younger version of myself wished that Oregon and Oregon State would merge their respective athletic and educational disciplines, forming a much broader scope of opporunity within one institutional administration.

In my youthful naivety, I believed that it would be possible to meld the teams, salvaging the best of each, and that the resultant talent pool would be superior to what either could bring to the table, alone, and thus be significantly more competitive.

Foolish dream scenario, and one that would have deprived a large number of talented student athletes an opportunity to chase their own dreams.

I honestly hope both can wade through the current sludge and emerge with a clear, workable future.

That said... GO DUCKS!!!

On 7/29/2023 at 9:07 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I hate all this realignment stuff but since we're going there, let's go there. Let's say the Pac fully craters and UO and fuskies go BIG and UU, UA and ASU go B12. That would leave OSU, WSU, Cal and Stanford. What if they brought in SD St, Fresno St, Boise St, UNLV, Nevada and maybe CSU? That would be a ten team conference that would still have three to four top 25 football teams. It wouldn't be as solid as the old Pac but it would be better than the old Mountain West.

They could still get a playoff spot for a conference champion and with the heavy hitters out of the way, the road to the playoffs would be easier for these schools. The TV contract and payout would likely be much smaller but there could be an upside for the remaining schools.

And the PAC would survive in a vastly diminished state. And let's just assume they only get like 16mil per school for their media deal... That would still be four times more than what the MW pays out right now (4 mil). 

One of the beauties of the Eugene/Corvallis rivalry is its geographic roots in the ancient cause of those rivalries: the sun-up to sun-down distance between them in the days of foot and horse travel. Those old world town rivalries, now played out on sports fields, once were fought with swords and spears.

As much as I loathed any C***l War loss I attended at either Parker/Clam Dip Stadium or Autzen, it was the following year of watching those rusted out F150s coming in on W6th and down  Franklin belching smoke and Beaver slogans that really got to me. I’d really miss that.

Edited by Washington Waddler
spelling
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's OSU's own fault that they will end up with nothing but poor options.  Even when they have a good season, they don't do anything to build off of it. They have never done much to build a brand.  Even when they do land a good player, he ends up being unknown to most of the nation. Damien Martinez was Pac 12 offensive freshman of the year, but they have done nothing to promote him. Maybe they can't because of a lack of money, but sometimes you have to spend money to make money.  I don't feel too sorry for them. 

I feel a twinge of sadness for the beavs until I am reminded of a school rivalry enhanced by close proximity, Eugene/Corvallis, that rivals Animal House.  The Daily Emerald would print an alternative Beaver paper for April fools and replace the Beavs papers on OSU campus;  the paper would include various stories about people like their football coach Joe Avocado (Avezzano)!  Those were the days!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

364 days a year I root for the Beavs minus any games against the Ducks in any sport. But.......I hate losing to them in football worse than any other team incl the stinky Fuskies.

Don’t get me wrong, I despise the Rat ba$+2rd$ as much as the next good guy, but whether you as a Duck fan like to admit it or not, when the nutria win, it’s good for us Ducks fans as well. That is unless they’re playing the Ducks. Let’s face it. Until the last 15 years bubba and Jim Bob from the holler couldn’t distinguish between an OSWHU team and the good guys, so it’s good imho that they have relevance as it gets the ‘OREGON” name out there! Go Ducks!

Edited by Dukduponquak