Jon Joseph

Are You Ready For Some Football? I Certainly Am More Than Ready

Records will be broken in the deepest Pac-12 conference in years. Will Bo Nix eclipse one or more of Marcus Mariota's records? And will Troy Franklin break the Oregon season TD record with more than 12 TDs? 

Not long now before our winter of discontent turns into glorious college football. It will be so nice to have results on the field to ponder instead of dealing with a ream of rumors.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Records are made to be broken, and with some superstars -- even a record-breaking kicker! -- returning, a handful of the Pac-12's...

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

THIS is an example of why I am more than ready for some football.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-expansion-rumors-clemson-florida-state-oregon-washington

Neither Clemson nor FSU is an AAU member school. This matters to B1G Prez. And about that $60M + buy out? Details. 

Now, based on my recent track record, watch this happen.

image.thumb.gif.7ca60eb82824461c961ad4de8cee440c.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/31/2023 at 8:56 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Records will be broken in the deepest Pac-12 conference in years. Will Bo Nix eclipse one or more of Marcus Mariota's records? And will Troy Franklin break the Oregon season TD record with more than 12 TDs? 

Not long now before our winter of discontent turns into glorious college football. It will be so nice to have results on the field to ponder instead of dealing with a ream of rumors.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Records are made to be broken, and with some superstars -- even a record-breaking kicker! -- returning, a handful of the Pac-12's...

I think the author kind of looks down on the Oregon receiver room. "Unlike crowded receiver rooms at Washington and USC, Franklin stands out as the Ducks’ top target." Franklin is an excellent receiver, but I think this season will show that the receiver room is not a one man show.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 7/31/2023 at 10:02 AM, crazyjeff said:

I think the author kind of looks down on the Oregon receiver room.

Amen Duck-Buddy.  So many of these writers do not even know the Ducks very well, and provide what I call "blah-blah" articles to fill their assignment to their publisher.  As a publisher at FishDuck, I do not allow such articles, and insist upon our writers offering something new in terms of facts or a perspective that has not been covered, thus the reader is rewarded for taking time on a FD article.

And thankfully...none of our writers want to write nonsense articles.  They are all-volunteer, and want to contribute something to fellow fans.  I love them dearly!

Now about the receiver room--you are right on in that anyone who does not see the real state of the receivers at Oregon is just uninformed.  Gary Bryant Jr. had receiving numbers at USC in 2021 that was better than anyone at Oregon, and he was a raw freshman.  Last year he could see after two games that Riley was going to use "his" guys brought from Oklahoma, thus he quickly stepped away to transfer.

He is going to be money for the Ducks.  With him on one side, and Troy Franklin on the other with Will Stein's offense?  Bombs away, baby!

Now, throw in Tez Johnson who resembles a DAT-Light to me, Kris Hutson, and we have a core of wide-outs who are going to score often.

Troy Franklin TD_Craig Strobeck.jpg

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Agree about our receiver room being underestimated. I think this is a longterm trend, but then again I thought our LB room had changed back when we signed the two highest rated LB's. I will go with we will have multiple big threats at wide receiver, but Franklin is the best.

The one item I am interested in watching is Rising at Utah. I think the pundits are underestimating this kids leadership skills, toughness and ability to win.

Penix has been an accident waiting to happen who has been coached up at Washington. I could see him having a sophomore type season where he flounders more after catching the Pac off guard. He is a known quantity as is Deboers system now. I mean if MariØ can beat him, Deboer isn't that unbeatable.

As for Williams at sc, in the game against Utah Rising looked a lot tougher than Williams. They were both hurt, and Rising led the Utes to the victory. All the pundits could do was talk about how gritty Williams was, while Rising played hurt, and won.

I put our game against Utah in SLC as the toughest game. Rising is a force who many don't fully appreciate. 

I see it as a Nix, Rising competition as the best in the Pac, and maybe the Heisman.

I also know this is just a prediction, and could be totally wrong. I do love putting this kind if stuff out there, because too many just look at trends and put sc, the dawgs at the top without respecting toughness, and the darkhorse.

Edited by Haywarduck
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

These teams are tough, and their coaches are good.  Yet it is a perfect schedule to make the Playoff; win these super-challenging games vs. ranked opponents and we are in.  Difficult?  Sure, but this experienced savvy team can do it!

12-0 Baby!

Mr. FishDuck discussing the Ducks...

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Laughing, once again, at the GIF and not the thought. 

image.gif.ce4bf2cc0478222030fc3ff66fdbf2e3.gif

Can't Catch Him! 

I just finished watching a replay of the 2012 Rose Bowl (10+ years ago, really?) and watching DAT go 91 yards for a TD versus Wisconsin.

Man, were those Ducks fun to watch and I am so happy to see DL bring back the brand.

Let's Play Ball!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 12:07 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Can't Catch Him! 

I just finished watching a replay of the 2012 Rose Bowl (10+ years ago, really?) and watching DAT go 91 yards for a TD versus Wisconsin.

Man, were those Ducks fun to watch and I am so happy to see DL bring back the brand.

Let's Play Ball!

I watched some highlights of Oregon demolishing Colorado... Especially when DAT returned a punt, which he let bounce, back for a touchdown. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm really looking forward to seeing improvements on defense this year and seeing more intangibles from our grizzly veterans and new transfers.  This conference is wide open to a team that shows up with a veteran defense playing with great instinct under a solid scheme.  That has been Utah in the recent past and shifting to Oregon State last year.  Let's hope Oregon take a huge step forward this year!

• Thumbs Up 1

This version of the Ducks O should be a top five offense. The receiving room will suprise many around the country.

The offense will win 10 regular season games.

Mid to late season, as the D and its freaks, gel the D will win 2 critical games for OBD's. The Utah and OSU games will take a complete game in all 3 phases for the Ducks to win.

Charles, is my kind of crazy.12-0 regular season. Then a rematch against one of 4 opponents, either Utah, uw, usc, OSU. A win and off to face Georgia in the,semis.

GO Ducks.....

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1

Yep! Let's forget all the NIL, the conference re-alignment etc. and just get on with some football! Go Ducks!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Mercifully for Pac-12 brass, the calendar flipping to August means the season is almost here. And that's a good thing, as the league...

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

The 2023 season should be a fascinating one both on and off the field, filled with questions that will be answered and stories ready...

Football is back on the field. YES!

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks head coach met with media members following the first fall camp practice of the 2023 season.

This is just one of many preseason projections. The one that kind of counts, the AP Poll will be released on 8/15 at Noon Eastern time. 

But FWIW, this ranking has Oregon playing the preseason ranked #8, USC, #9, UW, #11, Utah, #15, Oregon State, and #19, Texas Tech. A tough row to hoe in any conference. 

image.gif.01688aa6f1d418dc2c5f2a343ebf6a23.gif

The Coaches Poll Preseason top 25 Poll. 5 Pac-12 teams and Texas Tech makes the cut.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The Georgia Bulldogs also start on top of the Coaches Poll for the first time since 2008

25 Questions for the Pac-12 in 2023.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

As many obvious answers that abound in the Pac-12, there are just as many questions, if not more. The biggest? Can the league...

2024 - The answer is Four?

image.thumb.gif.464273d0409a0eb08c2ca656f702f639.gif

The National version of 25 questions.

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

Had enough realignment talk? So have we. Matt Hayes tackles the biggest issues for the 2023 season, in and around the SEC.

25 questions for our newest B1G buddies.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Wondering how 2023 will play out on the field in the Big Ten? Saturday Tradition has you covered with 25 burning questions...

IT IS BIG!

image.thumb.gif.a8f32db15a6bedf423bf10db9f61e1be.gif

Austin Mock, The Athletic, predictive model for Pac-12 win totals and odds to win the conference. Every game is simulated thousands of times based on play-by-play data adjusted for the opponent.

Below are the odds to win the conference, the number of wins projected for each team likely to be ranked in the AP Poll preseason Top 25, and the best bets according to Mock's model

Odds to win the conference.

USC - +200

Oregon - +325

Washington - +325

Utah - +500

Oregon State - +1000

Win totals and percentages for winning the conference title.

USC - 9.2 - 25.77%

Oregon - 9.4 - 22.57%

Washington - 9.2 - 20.02%

Utah - 9.0 - 17.94%

Oregon State - 7.9 - 4.96% 

And UCLA - 8.6 - 7.89%

Mr. Mock's Model (is this a perfect name for a predictive model or what?) likes Oregon's chances far better than Mr. Media. 

Bets Bets -

Arizona - Over 5 wins - +100

Utah - Over 8.5 wins - +120

USC - UNDER 8.5 Wins  -110

LET'S PLAY BALL!