Charles Fischer

Not Sold on OC Will Stein Yet?

If Stein can coach like he can recruit....it's another great hire by Dan Lanning(And based upon what he did last year at UTSA with a terrible offensive line--I know he can coach.)

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I am more confident Stein will be successful at Oregon than I am Dilly will be successful at ASU. 

Stein has proven he is an excellent OC, as has Dilly. Dilly hasn't proven he can be a head coach.

The assistants and the student athlete talent at Oregon is off the hook too! 

To answer your question Nix will help Stein be a better OC than Dilly was. We have better downfield threats, more seasoned runners along with better depth. The only question is the O-line, but Lanning filled holes, and Terry is going to surprise people with how talented he is.

Stein has shown he can coach up talent, and we have talent. As much as I liked Dilly, I put the beav loss on him.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1

On 8/1/2023 at 10:01 AM, cartm25 said:

Leaving your "rose"-colored and "doom"-colored glasses in the drawer, do you think Will Stein's offense will be better than KD's? Do you think Will Stein is a better X/Os and play-calling OC than KD? If so, why?

Oregon was the 10th highest scoring in the nation last year at nearly 39 points a game.  (38.8) My goal for Stein is 40 points per game, of which would be a modest improvement--of which I would be over-the-moon-over and more than happy with that.

Can that happen?

Yes, because I actually think Stein has more weapons this year than Dilly had.  (Hear me out!)  For Stein...he loves many of the same pulling-power plays as Dilly.  He likes the same strategy of "fooling-them" once in a while, but the difference is that Stein likes to throw long more often.  I believe he has more deep threats than Dilly had, as Franklin was just learning he could catch a bomb and now knows he can.  I believe Gary Bryant Jr. and Traeshon Holden are also deep threats.

This is really going to open up the running game, and the mid-level drag routes across the middle more.  Our tight ends could clean-up, and thus this could be a more balanced offense since Helfrich and highly prolific.

If you have doubts about Stein....read my article below.

FISHDUCK.COM

The title looks like classic hype to promote a blah-blah article, or serves as typical web click-bait. Yet those of you who have watched my videos and read my…

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Before people ask...."the offensive line is different," I was respond with how four of the starters I see on the O-Line are quite experienced in the Dilly/Stein offense, and I categorize it that way because Stein and Lanning have said that there is a ton of cross-over in both offenses. 

QB recruits recently have said the same thing about the similarities, so I expect we will see the same plays as last and some new wrinkles thrown in that are Stein's twist to it.

Troy Franklin_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter (2).jpg

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

While not a major doubt, I’m still a bit on the fence regarding the ‘all systems go’ effectiveness of our reconfigured OL until someone takes charge of being the play calling center. While we may not have a clear choice like Grasu or Forsyth, Powers-Johnson and Harper are both inching into that role. It is key to the effectiveness of Stein’s calls and Nix’s execution.

On 8/1/2023 at 2:21 PM, Washington Waddler said:

While not a major doubt, I’m still a bit on the fence regarding the ‘all systems go’ effectiveness of our reconfigured OL until someone takes charge of being the play calling center. While we may not have a clear choice like Grasu or Forsyth, Powers-Johnson and Harper are both inching into that role. It is key to the effectiveness of Stein’s calls and Nix’s execution.

What was amazing is what Stein accomplished at UTSA scoring capabilities in 2022 behind an injury racked, depleted front offensive line.  It's impressive.

Yes, I have confidence in what Stein is able to do and accomplish at Oregon.  This article takes a deep dive in what the numbers say.  Again, mind you, amazing what he accomplished behind a depleted front line.

247SPORTS.COM

A deep dive into what the numbers say about Will Stein's UTSA offenses

• Thanks 1

It also all hinges on the health of one guy. If Nix goes down, all bets are off.

I do look forward to what Stein can do with our backups, just not too soon! Actually get those guys out there soon and often, but just not with the game on the line.

• Thumbs Up 4

Stein is fine. Ranked #18 OC coming into the 2023 season.

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

Offense wins championships in the modern era ... and these play-callers are the best in the business.

On 8/9/2023 at 8:51 AM, Jon Joseph said:

He will jump into the top five by season-end, IMHO.

Will Stein_UO Athletics.jpg

• Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/9/2023 at 8:51 AM, Jon Joseph said:

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

Offense wins championships in the modern era ... and these play-callers are the best in the business.

The last 2 years defensive team won the title. The Georgia offense was pretty good though. 

On 8/9/2023 at 11:57 AM, Log Haulin said:

The last 2 years defensive team won the title. The Georgia offense was pretty good though. 

Pretty good? Ask Ryan Day and Ohio State and Sonny Dykes and TCU.

The D no showed vs the Buckeyes. Only the UGA O and an injury to Marvin Harrison, Jr. bailed Georgia out of what could and probably should have been a semi-final loss. 

It was a team effort that led to the beatdown of Horned Frogs. 

I think the UO offensive scheme is more of a collaborative concoction than the plan of the OC. That's at least what Lanning said about last years offense, with Lanning himself adding some wrinkles by knowing things that stress a defense. With that said, I'm sure Stein will be more than up to the challenge but being a great Kelly like mastermind may not even be required.

I also think because of the collaborative nature of the offensive design that Dilly may have been way over rated as a mastermind and was promoted way to early in his career. I think ASU will continue to struggle and not take the next step leap people are expecting. 40+ points a game seems reasonable for this team and if the new and improved D can keep teams in the low 20's, a playoff spot may not be a far fetched dream.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/9/2023 at 9:07 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Pretty good? Ask Ryan Day and Ohio State and Sonny Dykes and TCU.

The D no showed vs the Buckeyes. Only the UGA O and an injury to Marvin Harrison, Jr. bailed Georgia out of what could and probably should have been a semi-final loss. 

It was a team effort that led to the beatdown of Horned Frogs. 

My point was that UGA strength is it's D. "Pretty good" was in jest. If UGA pulls a 3peat, it will be credited mostly to defense again. To do it, the O will have to be well above average. But D will get lions share of the credit 

• Thumbs Up 1