David Marsh

An Introduction to the Rest of the B1G's Mascots

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Duck is about to make some new friends as Oregon leaves the Pac-12 to join the Big Ten next season.

So the Duck is going to continue to be king of the conference for best mascot. 

I didn't realize that so many B1G schools just don't have mascots... Or are kinda creepy looking human mascots. Yes, I went there... Herbie the Husker and Purdue Pete do have a bit of a creepy human mascots thing going on. 

• Thumbs Up 4

It will be fun to see The Duck interact with the other Big10 mascots. 🙂

Wow, Michigan strikes me as pretty uppity when they state the reason they don't have a mascot is because it's "undignified."  Maybe they should consult someone who is attends a more academically rigorous school:  Stanford's Tree.

• Thumbs Up 1

No one ever accused the BIG of lacking sanctimony.

Our northern friends with the academic prowess will fit right in.

• Haha 1

A live Wolverine probably not the best look.

I dunno, Brutus is pretty creepy looking too.  Imagine that thing staring at you from the opposite end of a dark hallway.  *uncomfortable shiver*

Take Brutus and make him slightly less yellow. Squash his big round head at both ends so he looks a bit like a pointy football. Lose the silly cap and, voilà, you have Stewie from Family Guy!

So yeah, that's a bit creepy. But not more than Purdue Pete, voted the creepiest mascot in all college football. He's supposed to be a big friendly boilermaker, but Purdue had to change his appearance as he was scaring small children. 

WWW.JCONLINE.COM

Quality Logo Products Bog conducted a survey this month that found Purdue Pete as the...

And as pointed out on the Michigan State website, msu.edu, the lack of a Michigan mascot may be more than it just being "undignified" to have one. Like impossible, as in essentially extinct in the 'Wolverine' State.

"There are currently no wolverines in the Wolverine State (other than a few in Ann Arbor).  The last known specimen is in the stuffed animal collection of Gary Kaberle of Traverse City; it was killed in the 1860's. As far as is known, there is no evidence that wolverines were ever commercially trapped in Michigan."

So yes, Puddles is going to have a lot of fun as the new cool kid in the B1G.

Edited by EastBayDuckDad
Misspell

Everybody in the B1G will want their picture taken with The Duck!

The Duck and Fans at Ohio State_Fox Sports Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck