Ktmguy2018

Accurate Ranking For Oregon?

BUCKEYESWIRE.USATODAY.COM

It was a hard task, but we took a stab at it. #B1G

They have Oregon ranked as the 5th best team in the B1G...I think we should be at 3 personally.

I honestly don't know that much about Penn State, but I feel pretty confident we could swap places with Michigan and be fine...

• Thumbs Up 1

5 seems about right.  However, they are all over the place in their decision making process.  Do championships matter or not?  I'm not counting anything before 1936 and the AP was formed.

tOSU 5

USC 5

Minnesota 4

Nebraska 4

Michigan 2

Penn St. 2

Maryland 1

Michigan St. 1

To me only the past 15 years should matter when creating lists like these. I do not have a problem with the Ducks being below any of the CURRENT B1G teams listed above them simply because we have not seen enough head to head matchups to truly know. But, there is no way USC should be at #3. My list would have the Ducks at #4, UW at #5, USC at #6 

If the Ducks D becomes legit sooner than later then #2 seems reasonable. Until the D proves itself #5 seems fair.

• Thumbs Up 1

Based on historic records, Oregon takes a way back seat to Ohio State. A team that has lost back-to-back games to Michigan. Ohio State is 3-4 in its playoff appearances with 1 (SIGH) title. Michigan is 0-2 but back-to-back playoff appearances matter. Oregon has a deeper Blue Chip Roster than Michigan and Penn State but is way behind Ohio State in roster ranking. 

And Oregon is nowhere close to the number of players Ohio State has sent on to the NFL in the last decade. Ohio State played 'slightly better' in 2022 against common opponent Georgia than Oregon. 

Penn State? Rising went down in the Rose Bowl but even before he went down PSU toyed with Utah. PSU has had the misfortune in an east/west division to set up to have to play Ohio State and Michigan every season.

PSU IMO was hosed over the year it defeated Ohio State and won the B1G championship; Ohio State with 1 loss went to the playoff instead of 2 loss Penn State. Ohio State that season was waxed by Clemson. PSU lost a thrilling Rose Bowl game to Sam Darnold and USC. PSU was as playoff-hosed that season as was Oregon in 2001 when it was BCS hosed.

Penn State with a stadium that seats 100,000 plus zealot fans is a very tough venue in which to play.  Especially in White Out games. (How about a new tradition? When Penn State visits Autzen, how about a Yellow Out game?) 

I have no beef whatsoever with Oregon at this time being behind these 3 schools. Based on the on-field results, Oregon should not be behind Wisconsin. Ditto, USC. 

Heading into 2024 depending somewhat on the 2023 results in the Pac-12, I think a #4 ranking for Oregon is fine. And I also think that Oregon is going to give Michigan, Penn State, and USC all that they can handle. I'm not as sanguine in regards to Ohio State but I do not believe that Oregon will be a walkover for the Buckeyes.

Is this fun to ponder or what!