Notalot

Toss Ups?

I view the upcoming season's success, and the assessment of the Ducks coaching staff, dependent on the results of the toss-up games. 

The games against USC, UW, Utah, Oregon State and Texas Tech are big games that are all winnable, or the Ducks might whiff on all of them.

The Ducks have the talent to win, but can the coaches and players overcome adversity by rising to the occasion(s) and put it all together?

I'm hoping for 12-0, and optomistically hanging on for 10-2. Will the Ducks win the tough ones? Can the coaches show growth in big game management?

I'll be somewhat disappointed with 9-3 or very disappointed lower.

Edited by Notalot
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Interesting that Pac-12 guru ranks Oregon 17 in his AP Poll vote and expects the Ducks to finish 9-3. 

Because of the Blue Blood history, I get the preseason love for USC. But the back end of the SC schedule is loaded and I don't think that SC defeats Utah, UW, UCLA, and Oregon this season.

Utah? Made the champ game in 2022 only because of its schedule. The SC D stunk. But Utah was fortunate to defeat SC in SLC and also fortunate that it was coming off of a game vs CU, probably the worst P5 team in 2022, while SC was coming off of a game against Notre Dame and Williams played on one leg in the 2nd half of the champ game.

UW? With better coaching decisions both Oregon and Oregon State would have defeated UW last season. 

Because of the depth of the conference, I think Oregon finishes 10-2. Wins the champ game and wins the Fiest Bowl game. 

Your toss-up take is spot on.

• Cool 1
  • Great post! 1

On 8/21/2023 at 12:36 PM, Jon Joseph said:

But the back end of the SC schedule is loaded and I don't think that SC defeats Utah, UW, UCLA, and Oregon this season.

giphy.gif

• Let’s hope! 2

Mr. FishDuck

Another reason that it's a shame this is the Pac-12's last season.

When was the last time we had so many top 25 teams? Oregon, Utah, Oregon state, Washington, USC, UCLA. And then Washington state with the perennial potential to spoil any Pac-12 team season.

Then again, the carnage these teams will wreak against each other this year will likely end up with the same result it's had every other year. Anyone right of the West Coast will say the Pac-12 is weak. It's so-called best teams can't even handle Beavers, or Cougars, or Bruins.

As others have said, maybe Oregon joining the B1G is the only way they'll get the national respect they deserve.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

The Ducks need this season to be great for a lot of reasons. 

If they go 9-3 or 10-2 IMO that is not good enough. They need to go 11-1 or better and make the playoffs......and enter the BIG as a team that everybody fears.  I am not expecting them to win the nc.....that would be welcome but premature. 

Pass thru the portal of a team that has better than average talent and wins a few surprise games and loses some surprise games. To....

A team that wins against the teams its supposed to beat handily and wins 66% or more against the top teams that represent a challenge.  Show toughness with no letup. No losses to Az St type teams. 

As many have stated, next year it's an inexperienced QB with perhaps lesser expectations.  

IMO this is about Lanning. This is his chance to do something special at Oregon in the long term. If he fumbles this year it might be tough to take the next step. 

This is the moment......is this team perfect.....no......you only get those types of teams when you have the machine running full speed. Teams like Pete C and Saban built are only after the recruiting kicks into 7th gear. When a coach is deciding who he wants, not who he can get. This is about motivation, game planning, coaching, etc with a roster that is better than most but still needs a few parts. Everybody else that is good is in the same place except for the top 3 or 4. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Sir Notalot, below is Saturday Out West's projection of the USC game-by-game record in 2023.

I like the prediction of Tommy Trojan leaving Eugene with the L and the tip of the hat to the Autzen SEC-like atmosphere.

Loss at Notre Dame? I don't see it. I believe QB Sam Hartman was the all-time system QB playing in the unique slow-mesh option O at Wake Forest. Pitt's Pat Narduzzi got after him in 2022 and brought the house on D. The result was 6 picks.

And Notre Dame has no WR that can stretch the field. After last season's win over Notre Dame, Riley, and Caleb Williams will come into South Bend with a lot of confidence. In this game that will be watched nationwide, I expect Riley to showcase Williams. IMO, there is no way that ND can win a track meet vs USC.

Sorry, but a see a loss against Utah or UW far more likely than a loss at Arizona. Unless the AZ D has improved significantly, I do not see the AZ D holding down Williams.

The biggest predicted win on SC's schedule? How about being idle in Week 13, the week before the conference champ game? Typical of the conference that Puddles is flying away from to give another escapee a huge scheduling benefit.  

I think that Oregon will match up with SC in the champ game in Las Vegas. Oregon will be coming off what perhaps will be the last Civil War game against an extremely motivated opponent. This will be a most physical football game. USC will be watching, healing, and game-planning against Oregon and every other team in championship contention. 

Why not give an NFL playoff wild card contender the week off before the 1st round of the playoffs while all other contenders play? No one in Pac-12 HQ, Merton Hanks, and others get this? I hope Rob Mullens didn't roll over for this as well as UCLA and SC leaving with the benefit of the Cali scheduling agreement but I very much doubt it. 

SC receives the benefit, because of conference cluelessness, of playing San Jose State in Week 0, a game that will be played next Saturday. Former AD Bohn may have been many things but this is super smart, playoff-designed, scheduling.

That's something to chew on, Jon. The analyses, facts and projections are intruiging. Let the games begin.

Geesh no ones giving the Beavs a chance. This could be Johnny's year. Their schedule is perfect for running the table until they meet UW and Oregon.

They're at home for UT, UW, UCLA and no USC. Hardest road game is WST besides the CW.

They could be 10-0 before hosting UW. It's very possible that the winner of the CW could play for the conference title.

It's also likely that there's a 4 way tie at the end of the season with head to heads deciding the P12 title game.

Heckuva way to close out the P12 conference.

• Thumbs Up 1