Charles Fischer

Would OSU & WSU be Better Off to Add Six Teams to the Pac-2?

Rather than go to the Mountain West...wouldn't they still be better off adding teams to the Pac?  The media contract would still have to be bigger than the MTW, and they have the NCAA Basketball revenue coming in along with a slate of teams for the late Saturday night window.

Although if they added Fresno State, Boise State, etc...there was a reason why the MTW contract was not very much.

Interesting thing to ponder, because if I was stuck in that scenario--I'd rather be in a depleted Pac-12, than in the Mountain West. Right?

Look at the bright side....they'll be favored to win the new conference next year!

Pac-2.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

I don't think the other power conferences will allow a conference composed of two lower tier power conference teams and a slew of G5 teams to exist as a power conference. 

We also saw that media companies didn't want to pay the pac-10 a competitive price, the PAC 2 certainly won't get anything more than the mountain west. 

I could see Fox and ESPN ready up a decent deal with the mountain west and withhold anything decent from whatever the PAC is to force Oregon state and Washington State into the mountain west. 

Fox and ESPN don't want to negotiate with another conference on the west coast anymore, that was their statement loud and clear during this last year. They won't give a new rebranded PAC a cent.... They'll most likely force them to join the mountain west and pay slightly more than they currently pay the mountain west but still much much cheaper than what a power conference demands.

• Thumbs Up 1

Big East tried this a decade ago.. They had lined up Boise and TCU to join up, then Navy. Problem was that Cincy, UCF, USF and UCONN, were the last remnants of the Big East. UCF had only been in a year. 

What makes the two least valuable, and weakest history wise programs, anything near good enough to be the staple of a P5 league? There just isn't enough equity built up in those two. Keeping the PAC name, branding, just isn't enough. It's got a great history, but no real future.

• Thumbs Up 1

WWW.SPORTSKEEDA.COM

Oregon State and Washington State are reportedly set to meet with the Mountain West...

If Cal and Furd would just stay put, the Pac could add SD St, Fresno St, UNLV, Boise St  and maybe even SMU and Tulane. If Apple still wants it's foot in the door for College sports, they should give the Pac a decent offer to be their guinea pig. If they could get a deal in the $15M range, that would at least stabilize the Pac and help them keep their football staffs together. Their would still be potential for 2-4 teams being able to crack the top 25 with some good western media markets. 

Again it's Cal and Furds sense of elitism that is gumming the entire thing up. I'm still rooting for the Pac to survive this situation and think OSU and WSU deserve better than this.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

On 8/26/2023 at 6:36 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Again it's Cal and Furds sense of elitism that is gumming the entire thing up. I'm still rooting for the Pac to survive this situation and think OSU and WSU deserve better than this.

Cal and Stanford would never be in the same conference as Boise State and Fresno State. 

I think you're right that what they will and won't accept as conference partners is a driving force in all of the pac-12 woes, among other things. 

They'd rather be in the B1G, not just for the money but because the academic fit being that all but Nebraska are AAU members. 

Well... In truth their first choice of conference is probably the Ivy League. And they may get their wish there... But they won't have much of a sports program. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Charles, good thoughts but anything cobbled together will be the 6th G6 conference. At least if OSU and WSU join the MW or the AAC, they will not have to deal with scheduling issues and will have a media deal, even though not that lucrative, in place.

What network(s) would line up to broadcast OSU, WSU, SDSU, San Jose St, Fresno, Boise St, CO. St, and  UNLV? Would this alignment draw more money than the MW and AAC?

Join the MW and compete for conference championships against 8 other conferences. Win the MW football title and if the current 2024 playoff format holds you are in the playoff field.

On 8/26/2023 at 9:36 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

If Cal and Furd would just stay put, the Pac could add SD St, Fresno St, UNLV, Boise St  and maybe even SMU and Tulane. If Apple still wants it's foot in the door for College sports, they should give the Pac a decent offer to be their guinea pig. If they could get a deal in the $15M range, that would at least stabilize the Pac and help them keep their football staffs together. Their would still be potential for 2-4 teams being able to crack the top 25 with some good western media markets. 

$15M? I think for this lineup that would be a stretch. Cal may agree to 'lower' itself but Stanford will not do so. Stanford has the endowment to, if not invited by the ACC, go independent and wait on the next round of B1G expansion.

I see no reason why the conference you propose, and it's a good thought no doubt, would bring in 3x the amount of money the MW and AAC are bringing in. If Fox valued the SFO market, Cal and Stanford would be headed for the B1G in 2024. Fox is well aware that the Bay Area is pro-sports-oriented. Fox also knows that to date, the Cal and Stanford administrations have shown little interest in promoting football.

Cal has an inducement if not invited by the ACC, to join the MW or the AAC. A Calimony payment from UCLA that will be closer to $10M per annum than $2M per annum. You can bet that the folks in Westwood are hoping that Cal is asked to join the ACC. 

If the Calimony payment is $10M. it would be a step down out of a Power conference but if Cal joins the MW it would bring in $15M a year and perhaps, could negotiate, like Boise, a bigger piece of the MW pie.

I am still stunned that the B1G has not come in and offered Cal/'Furd something ridiculous, like 10 million a year to join the B1G and finish the west pod....

Mr. FishDuck

For Cal/'Furd to be rejected by the ACC later? It would be the final nail in their relevance coffin.  Their sports are valued the same as the MTW? AAC?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Oh I agree the $15M per would be a stretch for the schools I suggested. It would more be for Apple to invest in a foot hold in the college sports market. They could afford a little up front loss for the benefits to kick in down the road.

• Applause 1

On 8/26/2023 at 12:24 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I am still stunned that the B1G has not come in and offered Cal/'Furd something ridiculous, like 10 million a year to join the B1G and finish the west pod....

I agree but this not happening tells you what Fox and friends think about the SFO market.

I think that Fox is keeping its powder dry in the hope of the B1G adding Notre Dame, UNC, UVA, Georgia Tech, or Stanford. Maybe all 5 with Duke or Cal thrown in. 

image.gif.0be2a6ad588979d96005dd43ebd57a73.gif