Pennsylvania Duck

Oregon State, Washington State File Complaint Against Pac-12 and George Kliavkoff

Oregon State and Washington State filed a legal complaint against the Pac-12 and commissioner George Kliavkoff on Friday seeking an emergency temporary restraining order to protect what the schools see as an "imminent and existential threat" to the future of the conference.

With the intent of "exploring opportunities to sustain the Pac-12," the schools are asking for a board meeting of all 12 members Wednesday to be canceled and for legal clarity to be given on who has voting rights to control the future of the league.

For details on the filing, please see article...

WWW.ESPN.COM

Oregon State and Washington State have filed a legal complaint against the Pac-12 and commissioner George Kliavkoff, with the...

I agree with OSU and WSU. If USC and UCLA immediately lost their voting rights then the other 8 teams should too. 

• Thumbs Up 4

The 10 teams may not have voting rights, but shouldn't they still get Pac 12 incentives, pac 12 network revenues, basketball tourney receipts, etc. up until the time they actually give up their membership?  They shouldn't be allowed to make determinations of Pac 12 future, or get future earnings, but I would think they should get their income share until they leave.

On 9/8/2023 at 3:27 PM, 47sgs said:

The 10 teams may not have voting rights, but shouldn't they still get Pac 12 incentives, pac 12 network revenues, basketball tourney receipts, etc. up until the time they actually give up their membership?  They shouldn't be allowed to make determinations of Pac 12 future, or get future earnings, but I would think they should get their income share until they leave.

I don't disagree, but it's my understanding that there are significant liabilities (namely overpayment by Comcast and maybe continuing lease obligation in SF office?).  I wonder what is the net result of the accounting of assets and liabilities. 

Should be easy to determine, but from what I have read (no inside knowledge whatsoever), it doesn't seem like the Pac-12 offices have their s*** together to provide that calculation. If true, another example of how poorly the higher ups operated the conference.

• Like 2

The game is afoot.

If they get all the voting rights they can vote to fire Kliavkoff and any other dead weight and vote to give themselves every last dime and asset  remaining or owed to the conference. Haha.

"One option has always been to use the financial assets, infrastructure and strong brand of the Pac-12 as a lure to invite the 12 Mountain West schools into the league for some type of amicable merger."

This, to me, seems the best option for OSU and WSU.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

They can keep the name, history, branding. They have two years to get to eight I believe. They aren't going to keep autonomy though. I hope they win the lawsuit, but the ACC has similar rules and there were talks of the conference being disbanded if at least 8 schools departed.

The ten departing schools want even more money 😂. Cal in particular is going to need it with their new limited income going into the ACC. But isn't the PAC in debt due to it's terrible television network, lavish offices, and paying two terrible commissioners more than a Whopper? If there are any remaining assets, but only two conference members. Is it even a conference at that point? I know they have that two year window, but doesn't that really just freeze the assets in place until the conference proves it is a conference? Just another clusterduck from the PAC I suppose.

If the so-called Conference Commissioner had half a set of balls he'd face the locker room from both teams, one at a time, and explain just what the he__ he was doing.  Face-to-face, man-to-man with they young men, staff and assistants whose lives will/have been affected by his monumental decisions.  Of course, that's the kind of response you'd only get from a man of integrity.  Klavikoff doesn't strike me as someone with integrity.  Not by the way he's handled this whole affair.

If they were smart instead of greedy (LOL) all the schools would have stayed in the PAC in all sports but football.  

They could have preserved the rich history of the conference while keeping the non-football student-athletes from a travel nightmare and preserving their sports by keeping games, meets, and marches somewhat local.

I tend to agree with the OSU/WSU stance, 10 of them willingly left.  I think it is probably too late for common sense to prevail, and the Beavs and Cougs are playing their ace in the hole.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2023 at 9:55 PM, PittDuck said:

If they were smart instead of greedy (LOL) all the schools would have stayed in the PAC in all sports but football.  

They could have preserved the rich history of the conference while keeping the non-football student-athletes from a travel nightmare and preserving their sports by keeping games, meets, and marches somewhat local.

I tend to agree with the OSU/WSU stance, 10 of them willingly left.  I think it is probably too late for common sense to prevail, and the Beavs and Cougs are playing their ace in the hole.

Not sure if that was even an option. 

I want to say USC and UCLA wanted to see if that was possible but it was shut down because well the rest of the conference was angry at them for betraying the conference and then wanting the best of both worlds. 

I also doubt OSU and WSU would tolerate that as an option as they have been left out of the conference realignment and are stuck trying to find their own way. 

On 9/8/2023 at 6:02 PM, Jon Sousa said:

"One option has always been to use the financial assets, infrastructure and strong brand of the Pac-12 as a lure to invite the 12 Mountain West schools into the league for some type of amicable merger."

This, to me, seems the best option for OSU and WSU.

This is actually what the rumor mill is saying. Vote to keep all money and assets, and vote the entire Mountain West in.

I don't think it will keep them as a P5 conference, but they will get assets and will get a little more prestige from the name and the legacy even if it is just a shell of it's former self. Not sure how the network fits into it. There probably aren't enough eyeballs to keep it going 

Still, there is income coming into the Pac12 this year while all 12 teams are still members.  Not all the assets are deferred past the time these teams leave.  While I see the reasons these 10 schools shouldn't be allowed to vote regarding the future of the Pac 12, and use of deferred assets and income, it still seems wrong to withhold present income while all 12 teams are still members.

On 9/9/2023 at 6:56 AM, Solar said:

This is actually what the rumor mill is saying. Vote to keep all money and assets, and vote the entire Mountain West in.

I don't think it will keep them as a P5 conference, but they will get assets and will get a little more prestige from the name and the legacy even if it is just a shell of it's former self. Not sure how the network fits into it. There probably aren't enough eyeballs to keep it going 

Exactly.

Pat Chun doesn’t mince words as WSU and OSU battle the traitorous 10

'All we’re asking for is the bylaws be enforced,' says Washington State AD

Washington State and Oregon State can only get the information needed, in order to move forward, by getting a full look at the Pac-12 books, AD Pat Chun told Cougfan.com on Friday.

The temporary restraining order WSU and OSU sought Friday to preclude a scheduled Pac-12 board meeting was necessary, Chun said, to gain the clarity the last two remaining Pac-12 schools need. “All we’re asking for is the bylaws be enforced,” said Chun.

Without clarity on the Pac-12's full financial picture, WSU and OSU simply cannot make the critical decisions necessary that will ultimately decide WSU and OSU's landing spot in 2024.

If the Pac-12 assets outweigh the liabilities that creates options -- including rebuilding the Pac, said Chun. If the liabilities outweigh the assets, that likely consigns the Pac-12 conference to the ash heap of history. So what are we talking about as far as assets go?

Check out the full video in article...

247SPORTS.COM

'All we’re asking for is the bylaws be enforced,' says Washington State AD

• Thumbs Up 1

Washington State, Oregon State granted temporary restraining order against Pac-12

A Washington State Superior Court judge granted Washington State and Oregon State a temporary restraining order and prohibited the Pac-12 Conference from holding a meeting Wednesday with all league members to chart the future course of the league.

The two schools on Friday filed a breach of bylaws complaint in Whitman Country, Washington, against their current league and commissioner George Kliavkoff, attempting to keep the 10 departing member schools from meeting this week and from possessing votes that would decide the future direction of the league.

Judge Gary Libey ordered all parties to “transact business in the normal course” but “put the brakes” on future Pac-12 board meetings. Libey amended the order to allow the Pac-12’s board to adopt a proposal that elicits a unanimous vote, such as an immediate retention plan.

The ruling is important as the two Pacific Northwest schools continue to assess what control over the crumbled league’s assets they retain and how that may play in what decisions they make regarding future conference affiliation.

WWW.ON3.COM

A Washington State Superior Court judge granted Wazzu and Oregon State a temporary restraining order against the Pac-12.

Well, the judge's decision was made 17 miles from Martin Stadium, but I'm sure the judge had no concerns about his own welfare.  Harumph.

I do think there is some interpretation that the judge chose not to consider.  The language apparently says if notice is given prior to August 1, 2024, then those schools can no longer participate on the Board.   But, as I recall all the schools involved "gave notice" that their last day would be August 1, 2024.

If you told your landlord you're moving out August 1, 2024, and gave notice in July 2023, would the landlord expect to continue to be paid for 13 more months?  Or, would the landlord say, "oh, you gave notice, we don't owe each other anything more for the next 13 months because you gave notice."   Nope, he would say your notice is effective August 1, 2024.

You'll never guess where George Kliavkoff was during Oregon State-Washington State Pac-12 legal hearing

The judge at the hearing divulged a piece of information which — while not damning — is certainly not a good look for the Pac-12. The conference is winning a lot of football games, but it is losing a lot of battles with optics.

Here’s the big revelation about George Kliavkoff, followed by more details plus reactions from fans and commentators...

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Washington State and Oregon State want control of #Pac12 assets. George Kliavkoff was in an unexpected place. The judge...

The PAC created precedence when they told USC and UCLA they don't get any say in how the PAC moves forward once they said they were leaving.  If USC and UCLA don't get a say, then the rest of the teams that are leaving don't get a say.  However, the collective we don't know all the financials of the PAC.  Yes, there is March Madness money, but there are also lots of money owed or the cost of doing business with the PAC.

If I'm the 10 teams leaving, I let OSU and WSU deal with all that mess.  I'm also not sure they actually got anything official with paying back Comcast about splitting it 12 ways.  If they never voted on how that went, then OSU and WSU are holding that bag, since they are the only teams in the PAC.

It isn't chump change for us individuals, but fighting over 2-4 million for schools and the optics, is silly.