GatOrlando

Is USC THIS Arrogant?

Skip to fifteen minutes. It looks like USC fans really look down on everybody in their current/former league. They really don't want Oregon in their new/future league. I would think they'd like having some programs in their region, keep some of their rivals. But from what I've seen, they would have tried to shut Oregon out of the B1G had they had a current vote. Is the bad blood that severe? This is like Texas A&M not wanting Texas in the SEC.  

Geez man, the guy in the video seems to think that the only programs worthy of their presence is Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State. Wisconsin, Iowa,  Michigan State, Minnesota, Purdue, Indiana, and Northwestern, already hated their conference adding Penn State, Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers because they aren't original members. I can only imagine how they'll feel when this level of arrogance enters their league.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They always have been.  Every year walking around like prima donnas always looking down their noses on other programs.  Their fans are a special kind of delirious, rabidly jealous of Oregon's success the last 20 years while U$uC floundered year after year.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Guy’s like the typical Bama fan. I’ll bet he has no physical ties to SC. Whining about Phil Knight putting Oregon on the map. The days of OJ and Marcus Allen dominating under-manned teams across the conference are long gone and he can’t handle reality! He just needs to drink heavily to sooth his anger.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is not a defense of USC; i don't care for them either. But I think some of you may be a bit guilty of a recency bias. I go back to the era when USC pretty much ruled the PAC conference and it was a big deal when anyone else broke through. Back when the conference was the PAC-8 and snow-white Jon McKay coached the Trojans, the conference was derisively labeled by sports writers in other regions as "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", and when I lived in Ohio in the early 70s the mantra was if "SC wasn't in the Rose Bowl, bet the farm on the Big-10 champ". And both coaches John Robinson and Pete Carroll had mini-dynasties as well. So the arrogance has a long and somewhat understandable history.

Now a question for you guys. When OJ Simpson and the #1 rated Trojans came undefeated into Oregon and lost a night game in the mud 3-O, was that game in Corvallis or Eugene? I think the year was i967 or 8, and all I remember about it was reading the result in the latest Sunday edition of the San Jose Mercury and being shocked at the outcome. Glorious game for either the Beaves or Ducks whomever got it done. I do remember comments coming out of Southern California that the field was not fit for play and the match should have been postponed. Now that's some serious sour grapes that cheapens a glorious outcome for the victors, be they Beavers or Ducks.

That was 1967, at Parker Stadium in Corvallis.  It was a mountain of mud and the USC coach donated the first dollar for an artificial turf field.

Personal note: I grew up in Corvallis, my father was a professor at Oregon State and I loved to hate Oregon at that time.  But ended up going to Oregon....

I was a new tenderfoot in Boy Scout Troop 170 in north Corvallis, and I was at that game ushering people at 11 years old.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/16/2023 at 10:36 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

But I think some of you may be a bit guilty of a recency bias. I go back to the era when USC pretty much ruled the PAC conference and it was a big deal when anyone else broke through. Back when the conference was the PAC-8 and snow-white Jon McKay coached the Trojans, the conference was derisively labeled by sports writers in other regions as "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", and when I lived in Ohio in the early 70s the mantra was if "SC wasn't in the Rose Bowl, bet the farm on the Big-10 champ". And both coaches John Robinson and Pete Carroll had mini-dynasties as well. So the arrogance has a long and somewhat understandable history.

First to answer the OP’s question - yes! I lived in Southern Cal and you won’t find a more arrogant, entitled bunch than USC fans. [However, like LA fans in general, they miraculously disappear when they aren’t doing well.]

Nevada Dawg - Oregon and West Coast football fans are well aware of USC’s history. However, that was largely back before the 85 scholarship limit.  Back then, the top programs could just stockpile all of the top recruits, preventing other programs from getting talent to compete. USC was also one of the few programs on TV, given the limited slots available before cable, so that was another huge selling point to recruits. Luckily, things have changed, except USC fans’ perception of where they fit in in today’s college football landscape.

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Charles, after this stunning admission by you I must ask:

have you been properly vetted for posting here?

I’m glad you saw the light.

• Haha 2

Sheesh.

Edited by Annie
  • Applause 1

SCOREBOARD - Last 7 games - OREGON 5 - USC 2.

Playoff appearances - Ducks 1 - Trojans ZIP.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/17/2023 at 11:29 AM, OregonDucks said:

First to answer the OP’s question - yes! I lived in Southern Cal and you won’t find a more arrogant, entitled bunch than USC fans. [However, like LA fans in general, they miraculously disappear when they aren’t doing well.]

Nevada Dawg - Oregon and West Coast football fans are well aware of USC’s history. However, that was largely back before the 85 scholarship limit.  Back then, the top programs could just stockpile all of the top recruits, preventing other programs from getting talent to compete. USC was also one of the few programs on TV, given the limited slots available before cable, so that was another huge selling point to recruits. Luckily, things have changed, except USC fans’ perception of where they fit in in today’s college football landscape.

I get the market value of L.A.  I get the history of USC football, and it being the "bedrock" of the PAC. But to say the PAC was dead after last year is false. The league failed because some of the leaders in the room thought they were as valuable as the B1G, because of  it's history working with the B1G. Even with USC, the PAC was not as valuable as the B1G or SEC. Texas came to the SEC, not the other way around. USC went to the B1G, not the other way.

Those are two of the biggest programs out there. Great academic institutions as well. But they weren't pulling the Big 12 or PAC 12 even with the B1G or SEC. So that goes to show you those "bedrocks" weren't gonna make the difference those fanbases believe. I believe Notre Dame is trying to stay independent to retain their unicorn status. Once they join, a dollar amount gets pinned on them. They become just another huge program in a league. Something is always more valuable when you can't have it. Sooner or later, the Irish are gonna have a sticker price. That's a level of arrogance that trounces even USC or Texas.

This memory goes way back and excuse me if I don't get this exactly correct. In the days of the Pacific Coast Conference, the Rose Bowl was a mismatch as I recall, largely because of the vast discrepancy in scholarships allowed in the Big-10 versus the PCC schools. The story I heard and logged away in my 10-11-year-old mind was that there were virtually no limits. other than financial ones, on the number of scholarships in the Big-10. Ohio State played a game against the Ducks in a Rose Bowl (maybe 1957) where they had twice the number of scholarship players he Ducks had. 

Much of the disparity between conferences was that the PCC member schools had agreed on a relatively small maximum number of scholarships allowed, at the insistence of academic administrations who weren't buying the educational value of money spent on college football. Hence the Rose Bowl became a yearly contest between the "football factories" vs. the "athletically disadvantaged".

This is what I remember and I probably have some details wrong (hey, I was a kid who believed what I was told). But if there is any truth to the tale, Oregon did pretty well in the mismatch I mentioned, losing to the Ohio State bullies by a score of only 10-7, and I remember sitting there rooting for the Ducks to prevail until the final second. 

So Jon Joseph, how far off am I in my memories above?

I was at the game.  Bill Enyart was amazing in the mud.  It was rumored that Dee A had cattle on the field for a number of days before.  The cheerleaders were throwing small cartons of orange juice into the student section.  A mud bowl of the first order and OJ was v good but not good enough.......Beavers prevailed by 3