Mic

Shedeur vs Shough - Contrariety or Similarity?

The biggest reason why I can't get a grip on what's going to happen Saturday in Autzen is the Buffalo's QB, Shedeur Sanders.  Given what went down in Lubbock with Tyler Shough able to seriously challenge the Ducks with his running and pin-point passing, the prospect of similar things happening with Sanders gives Colorado the penultimate "puncher's chance".

Is Sanders really this good?  Is he better than Shough and if so, much more dangerous?  Will the Ducks Defense be able to stop him from doing to us what Shough very nearly did?  If so, how?  Travis Hunter's loss will be huge for Sanders, no doubt.  But is that loss so large as to neutralize the rest of the offense?

Interesting side note: like his father, Shedeur is quickly becoming known around America by his 1st name only.  'Shedeur' is all one need say for everyone to know whom your speaking about.  That's publicity!

Yes, Texas Tech was a close game. I think Texas Tech is a better team than any team Colorado has played. It wasn't just Shough that kept that game close, Texas Tech has a better offensive and defensive line than any team Colorado has played. Plus the Ducks kept Texas Tech in the game with dumb penalties! I believe the Ducks are all bought in on this game and cover.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Good answer but what about the comparison between the two QB's and how they pose a threat to the Ducks?

On 9/21/2023 at 1:13 PM, Mic said:

Good answer but what about the comparison between the two QB's and how they pose a threat to the Ducks?

Haven't we also seen Bo put the Ducks on his back too?

I think a team always has a chance with a good QB in any game that stays close at the end. The problem is keeping it a close game. I only see turnovers by the Ducks as the reason this stays a close game.

Ducks take care of the ball and reality will set in for how much more Colorado needs to elevate their football program to compete at the highest levels. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Shedeur is miles better than Shough, IMHO.  Shough is bigger and maybe runs a little better, but he doesn't pass nearly as well as Shedeur.  Shough also has a tendency to fumble or throw picks in crunch time, whereas Shedeur tends to shine.   One will be a first-round NFL pick while the other maybe 4th round or worse.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/21/2023 at 11:20 AM, DuckFan93 said:

Shedeur is miles better than Shough, IMHO.

I think Sanders is different than Shough in that he is elusive and uses his legs to buy time.  He throws extremely well while moving, and is very dangerous in situations where he throws off platform.  This poses a real threat because even if you get pressure on him (and we will), he can really hurt you by eluding the pressure and finding his quick receivers.  His receivers are well coached and know what to do when he starts scrambling.

I think some of Shough's runs were designed, and some he ducked, tucked and ran.  In either case his goal was to gain yards, and he is a good runner.  Sanders is more likely to step. slide and shimmy around to allow receivers to get open, and then throw it.  That's what I saw in limited viewing anyhow.

I think Sanders can be far more dangerous.

Edited by Cacker Guy
  • Applause 2

On 9/21/2023 at 10:23 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Haven't we also seen Bo put the Ducks on his back too?

Absolutely, but here I was referring to the comparison between Shough, whom Oregon struggled (at least initially) to contain and Shedeur Sanders.  We'll move on.  Thanks.

Edited by Mic

On 9/21/2023 at 10:40 AM, Drake said:

Ducks take care of the ball and reality will set in for how much more Colorado needs to elevate their football program to compete at the highest levels. 

Penalties could be huge and I hope the Ducks can avoid them.  Colorado seems to have been playing above their level while Oregon looks to be still getting up to their potential.  If Oregon does, it could be a very big win for Oregon.  I think we agree on this...

Shedeur is better the Shough. Shedeur doesn't have designed runs like Shough does.  Ducks will have to contain Shedeur and his scrambling ability.

It is easy to know when people are talking about Shedeur Sanders because that is the only Shedeur people have heard of.  Same with Deion.  There was really only one player named Deion when he played in the NFL.

• Applause 1

On 9/21/2023 at 12:03 PM, Tandaian said:

Shedeur is better the Shough. Shedeur doesn't have designed runs like Shough does.  Ducks will have to contain Shedeur and his scrambling ability.

You've brought up an interesting point (my hope when starting this topic) and that is Shough's runs were, by-and-large, designed.  The fact that Shedder's aren't (and I take your word for that because I haven't watched him play an entire game) does offer a tangible difference and a potential problem for the Ducks, perhaps.  Designed QB run plays can be schemed and planned for.  A good, ad hoc scrambler is an entirely different problem. Esp. if they're good at it.   Interesting...thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Not worried at all about CO. CSU had 17-182 in penalties, QB threw 3 INT's yet they took CO into 3 OT's in Boulder. Ducks just have too much talent and are at home. The only Prime Time in the game is the starting time.

On the QB comparison, Shough is his own worst enemy. Shedur seems more composed and doesn't seem to make a bad decision very often. 

Edited by GODUCKS15
  • Like 1

This game for me is all about our front seven. If we can set the edge, which I think is a weakness of the Ducks so far, then I think we win this game handily.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/21/2023 at 1:05 PM, Just Ducky said:

This game for me is all about our front seven. If we can set the edge, which I think is a weakness of the Ducks so far, then I think we win this game handily.

One of my keys too.  Pressure the QB, contain him on the corners, force him into bad throws.  How do you think he compares to or is similar to Tyler Shough?

For me, a comparison of the two has to start with composure and turn overs. Through three games Shough has five and Sanders has one. What causes turn overs is always debatable, but in Shough’s case there’s a sense that he tries to hard to make something happen. Sanders seems the opposite. His gifted arm and scrambling ability work to his advantage in staying composed, and taking what defenses give him. 

I’d disagree that you can successfully key on designed QB runs. Usually, these plays are built to the advantage of the quarterback which means if he reads a focus on designed run, then he has the authority to pull back into a quick out or crossing route. 

Edited by Washington Waddler
spelling
  • Applause 1

I'll rephrase, Shedeur doesn't run the ball.  ESPN has Shedeur with 25 rushes.  He has been sacked 15 times, which counts as a rush.  Shedeur only has 10 rushes.  For comparison, Shough has 44 carries with 9 sacks.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

All, just a few observations. Have not watched Shough (was up in NE Canada during TT game), so I cannot compare the two QBs. When I have seen Shedeur, he did not seem to have designed runs; he moved usually right or left behind the line waiting for a receiver to break out downfield. Shedeur's passing was interesting in that I did not see a lot of arc; I saw a fast and somewhat flat pass (similar to one of our previous QBs); still, the receivers caught the ball - theTEs and WRs are accustomed to his applied velocity.

If our DL and Edge are unable to corral Shedeur when he prepares to throw (short Prep and fast) hope that our defenders get their hands up to deflect or knock the ball down. That is doable, and I was surprised I did not see CSU do that consistently. 

Shedeur has been sacked Approx 15 times, but he is vulnerable to pressure. If and when a defender engages Shedeur physically, they should engage or hold his passing arm because he will try to get rid of the ball. I recall only one DT that chased and tackled him, and I believe Shedeur got rid of the ball just before he was in the grasp. Of course, the DT took him to the ground for a penalty.

VR,

KCDuck1

• Thanks 1