cartm25

National Perception of Oregon / Colorado After the Game?

I want to try and look at this from a young high school football player's perspective.

What would my (as a current high school football player) perception of Oregon and Colorado be depending on various outcomes of the game?

IF . . .:

- Colorado wins big = "They're going to win the P-12 Championship and the Natty. I have to join that team, the sky is the limit."

- Colorado wins close = "Look at the miracle season continue. They're only going to get better. Let me be a part of that."

- Colorado loses close = "Dang!! Too bad, but they weren't supposed to even be in this game. They're building something, and I want in."

- Oregon wins big = "It was bound to happen. I'm intrigued by Colorado and will definitely make a visit. But OREGON!! Wow they looked good. I'm going to go watch some DAT highlights."

Kind of a fun exercise but, like it or not, Colorado is now doing what Oregon did starting in the mid-2000s. They're becoming the new COOL / IT school.

Part of my point in the thought exercise is that I don't think the Colorado hype-train and appeal slows down one bit in three of the four outcomes (including a close loss by Colorado).

What are your thoughts?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I see the difference:

When Deon leaves, he drives the hype train out of the building.

When Chip left, he left the offense behind, which is what the draw was.  Kids still have DAT on their mind.

Not seeing kids have Prime on the mind if Prime is gone.

Plus, talk about a tough act to follow.

Plus, 1, 2 and 3 ain't gonna happen.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

My thoughts?

1. Oregon will win big. Duck secondary will have a big game...

2. In recruiting--Oregon will get theirs.

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Any kid choosing Colorado is actually choosing Coach Sanders.

When he jumps ship (I give it 2 years tops) Colorado will be right back in the same boat they have been in for 20+ years.

Enjoy it now Buff's... it will be short lived.

Oregon on the other side has established itself. I feel Oregon will be relevant for many years to come.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/21/2023 at 2:26 PM, cartm25 said:

Kind of a fun exercise but, like it or not, Colorado is now doing what Oregon did starting in the mid-2000s. They're becoming the new COOL / IT school

This argument is being introduced a lot. Ok, maybe not an argument but more just a statement.

Ducks, starting in the 90's, began to build Oregon from the bottom. Starting with Brooks hiring Mike Bellotti. This led to MB becoming head coach and the Ducks started to rise. 

Brooks was Oregons coach for 17 years and Bellotti 12. Bellotti and Harrington should have played Miami in the NC. Notre Dame... pfft.

During this time Oregon stopped bad mouthing Phil Knight, they kissed and made up and knight started pumping revenue into Oregon athletics. This was a huge factor in Oregons success.

Bellotti hired Chip then passed the head coaching job to Kelly. The rest is history. But the foundation was layed over the course of RB and MBs tenure with a huge dose of Nike and PK. Pretty condensed version I know.

Kelly changed the way college football was played. And espn loved him for it. Kelly changed the trajectory of this sport that will ripple through for years to come.

Colorado hired a huge personality. They hired a man that is a top 5 athlete of all time. Sanders and Bo Jackson are arguably the two best athletes to ever play sport.

Like Oregon is today, Colorado used to be a quasi blue blood school. They aren't becoming "something else". At best they are trying to regain something they once were.

Sanders hasn't tranformed college football and changed the way the game is played like Oregon did. Will he? Perhaps, but I doubt it.

What Deion has done is win three games. He has used his GOAT status and huge personality to bring recognition to Colorado. And it has been very entertaining. They are a fun team to watch and have captivated the common fan.

Sanders was incredibly successful at JSU. But just as Mike West said, he failed to change the game at the HBCU level. Mike said he tried his damndest, but was not successful. Gotta give Sanders credit for trying.

So I don't understand the comparison to Oregon. Greater things might be to come for Sanders, he ain't done yet. But they have yet to come.

Colorado is not Oregon, nobody is. Oregon is Oregon and much like Sanders the man, cannot be replicated.

With that said... a week from Saturday... Go Buffs!

Every week... Go Ducks!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/21/2023 at 7:36 PM, Log Haulin said:

This argument is being introduced a lot. Ok, maybe not an argument but more just a statement.

Ducks, starting in the 90's, began to build Oregon from the bottom. Starting with Brooks hiring Mike Bellotti. This led to MB becoming head coach and the Ducks started to rise. 

Brooks was Oregons coach for 17 years and Bellotti 12. Bellotti and Harrington should have played Miami in the NC. Notre Dame... pfft.

During this time Oregon stopped bad mouthing Phil Knight, they kissed and made up and knight started pumping revenue into Oregon athletics. This was a huge factor in Oregons success.

Bellotti hired Chip then passed the head coaching job to Kelly. The rest is history. But the foundation was layed over the course of RB and MBs tenure with a huge dose of Nike and PK. Pretty condensed version I know.

Kelly changed the way college football was played. And espn loved him for it. Kelly changed the trajectory of this sport that will ripple through for years to come.

Colorado hired a huge personality. They hired a man that is a top 5 athlete of all time. Sanders and Bo Jackson are arguably the two best athletes to ever play sport.

Like Oregon is today, Colorado used to be a quasi blue blood school. They aren't becoming "something else". At best they are trying to regain something they once were.

Sanders hasn't tranformed college football and changed the way the game is played like Oregon did. Will he? Perhaps, but I doubt it.

What Deion has done is win three games. He has used his GOAT status and huge personality to bring recognition to Colorado. And it has been very entertaining. They are a fun team to watch and have captivated the common fan.

Sanders was incredibly successful at JSU. But just as Mike West said, he failed to change the game at the HBCU level. Mike said he tried his damndest, but was not successful. Gotta give Sanders credit for trying.

So I don't understand the comparison to Oregon. Greater things might be to come for Sanders, he ain't done yet. But they have yet to come.

Colorado is not Oregon, nobody is. Oregon is Oregon and much like Sanders the man, cannot be replicated.

With that said... a week from Saturday... Go Buffs!

Every week... Go Ducks!

He did manage to get College Gameday on an HBCU campus. And he lifted the nation's recognition of HBCU football teams.

On 9/21/2023 at 4:45 PM, Jon Joseph said:

He did manage to get College Gameday on an HBCU campus. And he lifted the nation's recognition of HBCU football teams.

Thats not Colorado

It's going to take a lot of work tracking how 6M+ (HUXXAH!) viewers feel about the contest at the game's end.  

BD, Before Deion, this game would have been lucky to draw 600K viewers kicking off at 10:30 Eastern on Larry's Lost Network.

I just hope the lead-in game on ABC, FSU at Clemson, does not run far beyond the allotted 3-hour (what a joke) broadcast time. I hate it when the game is picked up in the middle of the 1st Q.

On 9/21/2023 at 7:46 PM, Log Haulin said:

Thats not Colorado

Correct. My geography knowledge is not encyclopedic, but it is decent.

My comment was a take on my friend Mike West being quoted as saying Deion did not change the HBCU game at Jaz State. I demur. I think he very much lifted the country's awareness of HBCU ball. And hats off to him for doing so.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/21/2023 at 5:00 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Correct. My geography knowledge is not encyclopedic, but it is decent.

My comment was a take on my friend Mike West being quoted as saying Deion did not change the HBCU game at Jaz State. I demur. I think he very much lifted the country's awareness of HBCU ball. And hats off to him for doing so.

Got it  I said a lot, I am a little defective that way. I was just going off what mike said. But yea. Deion saw some big success at JSU.

I don't like the vibe here, so I am locking this thread.

If in doubt....READ THE DAMN RED PINNED POST AT THE TOP.

Mr. FishDuck