Pennsylvania Duck

Updated AP Top 25, Coaches Poll Rankings After Week 6

It's always a big week in the college football season when a top 10 team goes down. In Week 6, college football fans were treated to a pair of upsets...

WWW.SPORTINGNEWS.COM

Here's how the Coaches Poll and AP Top 25 are shaking up following Week 6 of the college football season.

The top-10 game between No. 8 Oregon and No. 7 Washington will get marquee treatment

The stage is set for what could be a thrilling college football game on Lake Washington in Seattle Saturday afternoon.

A top-10 matchup between No. 8 Oregon and No. 7 Washington at Husky Stadium became official Sunday morning when the Associated Press top-25 poll was released.

WWW.REGISTERGUARD.COM

A top-10 matchup between No. 8 Oregon and No. 7 Washington this Saturday at Husky Stadium in Seattle became official Sunday...

Someone please explain to me like I am child…

…why WSU is ranked 19th, while the team that just beat them, UCLA, with the identical record, is ranked 22nd?

Coaches’ poll is absolute garbage.

AP poll has WSU 1 higher than  UCLA.

• Yikes! 1

On 10/8/2023 at 3:19 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

…why WSU is ranked 19th, while the team that just beat them, UCLA, with the identical record, is ranked 22nd?

Because the entire poll-thing is a rather esoteric, inside knowledge, coaching fraternity, you vote for us and we'll vote for you, tv deal mishmash of loose ends needing more flips of the coin to get things right?  

I don't know if anyone has ever explained it clearly or even knows clearly how the polls work, despite claimants to the contrary.  At least the CFB is no linger VOTING the National Champs like they once did - for decades.

• Thanks 1

@Dr Hilarius Winning matters, but when you lose a 1 score game on the road, giving up 4 TOs I'd say the two teams are pretty equal.  Then you have to go how the teams looked playing other teams.  The eye test says beating OSU and Wisconsin means more than beating San Diego St. and Coastal Carolina.

• Applause 1

On 10/8/2023 at 6:19 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

Coaches’ poll is absolute garbage.

AP poll has WSU 1 higher than  UCLA.

It's the SID Poll and along with the coaches the SIDs don't watch the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2023 at 8:27 AM, Tandaian said:

The eye test says beating OSU and Wisconsin means more than beating San Diego St. and Coastal Carolina.

This explains a lot—the “eye test” in your comment refers to how the perceived SOS looks btwn the teams, which is all these voters do.

I watched that game, and my “eye test” says that UCLA dominated start to finish and made WSU’s star QB look mundane.

One issue we have in the league now is that we have a circular firing squad. Utah beat UCLA, who beat WSU, who beat OSU, who beat Utah. 

On 10/9/2023 at 2:44 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

One issue we have in the league now is that we have a circular firing squad. Utah beat UCLA, who beat WSU, who beat OSU, who beat Utah. 

Perfect example of that and the unique matchups.  This Saturday is the first "elimination" game, as both UCLA and Oregon State have a loss and a second loss pretty much puts the loser out of the conference race. Interesting game at 5:00 PM on Saturday...

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/9/2023 at 2:52 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This Saturday is the first "elimination" game, as both UCLA and Oregon State have a loss and a second loss pretty much puts the loser out of the conference race.

I also think two losses will be enough to knock anyone out of the PAC-12 title game.  There are seven contenders in Oregon, USC, Washington, Utah, OSU, UCLA, and WSU.  The race for the title game won't begin to take shape until one of these teams beats another contender on the road.  To this early point in the season, the home teams have taken care of business.  Oregon gets their shot Saturday.

List or road games:

Oregon:  @Wash, @Utah

USC:  @Oregon

Wash:  @USC, @OSU

Utah:  @USC, @Wash (lost @OSU)

OSU:  @Oregon (lost @WSU)

UCLA:  @OSU, @USC (lost @Utah)

WSU:  @Oregon, @Wash (lost @UCLA)

None of the other games will be gimmies this year but looking at the road tests above, USC may have the easiest path by just taking care of business at home.

Edited by mikethehiker