cartm25

Good News / Bad News: Oregon vs Washington

Good News: That was a very winnable game against a Top 10 team in the nation.

Bad News: That was a very winnable game against a Top 10 team in the nation.

• Applause 1

Good News: We could get a rematch in Vegas

Bad News: we could get a rematch in Vegas.

• Applause 1

On 10/15/2023 at 11:48 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

I see no bad news in getting a rematch against UW at a neutral site.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 10/15/2023 at 9:32 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Not sure a neutral site means anything since they beat us at home as well. 

Don't get me wrong I want a rematch as much as the next Duck fan. But so far the track record for DL against the Fuskies is not good. I bet he takes the points next time if given the opportunity.

Yeah it's all hypothetical and speculation. But you gotta know when to hold em and when to fold em. 

DeBoer is a very good in game coach. If the Ducks can get a rematch they better come up with a more aggressive game plan. 

On 10/15/2023 at 9:41 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

I bet he takes the points next time if given the opportunity.

I don't think so. He has demonstrated that he is hard-headed on this topic.

We will lose one or two close games a year until he learns, IMHO.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Personally, I don't fault Lanning for being aggressive and going for it on fourth down routinely. I'm glad he does that, and, in most cases, against most teams, it pays off. 

My problem with those situations is the staff's play calls. Last year, Bo's legs were a "secret weapon" early in the year on such plays; then, after his injury, they weren't. But, I was also heartened last year to see Kenny Dillingham occasionally incorporate the quick slant-in pass as a weapon in crucial short-yardage situations.

(For years, I've lamented the fact that the Ducks have NOT included that play in their playbook while watching Mike Leach's Cougars routinely punish us with it.) Where has the 5-7 yard slant-in pass play gone this year? I think it's much less likely a receiver gets knocked out of the play on those quick-hitting routes than was the case in two of the three crucial fourth-down plays the team ran yesterday. 

As far as I'm concerned, DL's approach and the mentality it represents is great. Just develop and run better plays. 

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 10/15/2023 at 10:12 AM, WiseKwacker said:

Personally, I don't fault Lanning for being aggressive and going for it on fourth down routinely. I'm glad he does that, and, in most cases, against most teams, it pays off. 

My problem with those situations is the staff's play calls. Last year, Bo's legs were a "secret weapon" early in the year on such plays; then, after his injury, they weren't. But, I was also heartened last year to see Kenny Dillingham occasionally incorporate the quick slant-in pass as a weapon in crucial short-yardage situations. (For years, I've lamented the fact that the Ducks have NOT included that play in their playbook while watching Mike Leach's Cougars routinely punish us with it.) Where has the 5-7 yard slant-in pass play gone this year? I think it's much less likely a receiver gets knocked out of the play on those quick-hitting routes than was the case in two of the three crucial fourth-down plays the team ran yesterday. 

As far as I'm concerned, DL's approach and the mentality it represents is great. Just develop and run better plays. 

Spot on!!

On 10/15/2023 at 9:41 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

Not sure a neutral site means anything since they beat us at home as well. 

The 2022 loss was mostly the result of the injury to Bo, and the incurred loss of momentum. Certainly, there were questionable coaching calls, but the injury changed the game.

If you were not at the game yesterday, you can’t imagine how loud it was. I’ve attended many, many Husky Stadium games, and I’ve never - repeat NEVER - heard it as loud as it was Saturday.  It was Autzen loud.

As Autzen fans know, that level of fan participation affects everything. Opponents get hesitant and have a hard time finding there rhythm while it puts the home team into overdrive. Coaches are affected by this happening to their team, and they make calls they might otherwise not make just to try and shake things up which often lead to disastrous outcomes.

I’m not one to make excuses. Coaches must own up and correct their mistakes. But, a stadium like we played in yesterday gifts anywhere from three to ten points to the home team.

That’s why it’s only round one to the mutts. See you in Vegas for the rematch.

Edited by Washington Waddler
spelling
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Good News: This is the final year of being subjected to the atrocity know as the PAC12 referees.

Bad News: We have to endure 6/7 more games of this pathetic incompetence.

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/15/2023 at 9:32 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Especially if beating them knocks them out of the playoffs and us in.

Depending on the rest of the conference races, a one loss Pac 12 Champ should get in.

Win on "neutered" site trumps a 3 point loss in Seattle on missed FG and questionable coaching decisions.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

GO DUCKS 15 - Kenny Rogers? I prefer the Beach Boys - Be True to Your School.

Can't win a game if you don't tee it up. UW won yesterday by the 3-point home-field advantage.

On 10/15/2023 at 8:48 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

IF. we get a rematch: dbs!  Look at the BALL!  UW receivers do….and they catch it!  Right over your non-looking head!  Where YOU could catch it….or, at least deflect it!

Edited by Duckdude
  • Thumbs Up 1

Did the Bye week affect the team.  Like taking a time out when your team is in rhythm and hitting on all cylinders?  I do not know.  What I do know is some think that the numbers all point to Oregon should have won.  We had the lead and sat on it.  Look at ESPN's play by play of the LAST three possessions, Oregon had two of them.  All 50+ yards with a little over 6 minutes left in the game.

Possession #1 Oregon looked to kill clock and score, 10 plays and a turnover on downs taking 4 min. 22 sec.  Possession #2 Washington attacked Oregon defense, 2 pass plays TD taking 33 seconds.  Final Possession with only one time out Oregon short passes to sidelines, 10 plays missed 43 yard FG took 1 min. 38 sec to end the game.

This was just a window of time in the game.  Many windows open to speculation.  If I yell at the TV loud enough, maybe the Ducks will improve and stop with the mistakes.  I know I could have caught THAT ball!  My 21 year old son, so mad at me for yelling in the house he called his mom.  I got an earful with the window closed, when she came home.

When I finally cooled down, I got on to see the post game interviews.  I watched Bo's, Now I understand why Lanning has so much respect for the young man.  His long explanation to a female reporters question, let the Hot Air out of my balloon, sanity returned.  Later, I even watched the Post game interview of Coach Lanning.  Right off the top, I was impressed with his demeanor.  Compare him to Mario's Post Game Pressers.  The admiration I felt, I am ALL IN for the vision he has and is trying to imprint upon these young men.  He understands there is room for improvement, growth and direction.  We need more people like him, Mentors, Teachers of life.

How anyone could play this game and take THE RISK of letting down so many, is unimaginable, too much for me.  But Please, accept my apologies, for not being good enough, to bring home the win.  Perspective.  No blame, just a good game.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

Well, that's that.  Time to shake off the dust, and move on.  There are 6 more very important games to win before the Conference Championship.  I'm sad the Ducks lost but I'm proud of the way they played and took it to the Huskies.  This is no time to 2nd guess people or decisions. Bring on Wazzou. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1

On 10/15/2023 at 3:19 PM, cartm25 said:

I’m seeing a lot of “it will be great to beat UW in the P12 Championship” comments.

While I agree with this, let’s not put the cart before the horse.

Lanning has, thus far, proven unable to beat UW, AND the Ducks still have to play WSU and three more teams currently ranked in the Top 25: @Utah, and at home against USC and OR St.

WIN THE DAY!!!

6 Pac-12 teams are ranked after Week 7 but WSU, after being embarrassed at home by Arizona, is not among the 6. 

But Oregon does have playdates scheduled with 12. Oregon State, 14. Utah, and 18. USC. And, if Puddles flies to Las Vegas for a game on the 1st of December, the Pac-12 champ game will be against a ranked foe. I'm hoping for another shot at UW.

UW gets Utah at home but plays USC in LA and at Oregon State. Oregon State looked like the 3rd best team in the Pac last night and is a very tough team to beat in Corvallis.

In 2022, OR ST lost by 3 in Seattle because J Smith went for TDs on 4th down instead of kicking 2 chip shot FGs. Hmmmmmm? 

Chip's 'Win the Day in LA Team' is ranked 25. It has been many moons since a ranked UCLA team has defeated another ranked team away from home including last night in Corvallis.

Even without WSU being ranked, Saturday's game is on ABC at 3:30 Eastern. Thank goodness for those of us on the Right Coast. It won't be the ABC varsity broadcast team of Chris Fowler and Herbie, but it will be on a network people can watch.

With this game on ABC, I expect the game vs. Cal will be a 10:30 Eastern kickoff on Larry's Lost Network. I expect Oregon at ASU to be a 10:30 Eastern kickoff on ESPN or FS1.

I think it's great that Oregon will have the chance to bounce back into the win column on ABC.

As PA Duck, The Keystone poster, posted under WSU/Oregon articles, Oregon is now -18.5. The WSU O the last 2 weeks at UCLA, and home vs. Arizona, has been ill and nil. (Did the USC O catch the same cold?) USC is but -3.5 at home vs. the Utes. Last Saturday vs. Cal, Utah was indeed the Runnin' Utes.

Oregon State is -7.5 on the road in Tucson. AZ arguably should have won in LA and destroyed WSU in Pullman. Hmmmmmmm?

Go Ducks. Take the 1st step On The Road to Las Vegas.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Go Ducks! 3
  • Applause 1

On 10/15/2023 at 12:26 PM, Duckdude said:

IF. we get a rematch: dbs!  Look at the BALL!  UW receivers do….and they catch it!  Right over your non-looking head!  Where YOU could catch it….or, at least deflect it!

Pretty tough to look back when you're trying your hardest to real in the WR that got past you and it isn't happening. No point in looking back when you don't think you are close enough to make a play on the ball.

Seeing Penix throw like Justin Herbert makes me wonder what Justin could have done in an offense like that.