Mic

The James Madison Dukes

The Dukes are having one of their best years in awhile.  Yesterday's win over Marshall on the road makes them 7-0 with another win earlier over Virgina, also on Virginia's home field.  

1st place in the Sun Belt.  OK, that's not something to start jumping up and down about.  Yet.  But when do fans start to take notice of this team and start thinking they might find a place at the table someday?  12-0?  

These types of teams having seasons like this are making collegiate football even more fun to watch.  Others are Duke and North Carolina; though they probably dwarf James Madison.  GO DUKES  I hope you guys can hang on to your coach.

Edited by Mic

I wouldn't get excited at all with a Jame Madison v. Georgia bulldogs 1st round game. That would be horrible. I hope it never happens. Thats great they are having a great season though.

12 team format has to have atleast 9 power 4 teams. Maybe 10. Top 2 in each conference gets an invite at the minimum imo.

On 10/20/2023 at 4:44 PM, Log Haulin said:

I wouldn't get excited at all with a Jame Madison v. Georgia bulldogs 1st round game. That would be horrible. I hope it never happens. Thats great they are having a great season though.

No, they're not ready for Georgia yet.  lol

But I've enjoyed watching them play this year.  They do have some athletes.  Just not a whole team of them like the big boys.

And via NCAA rules, of course, JMU is not eligible for a bowl game in 2023. Two words: Ding and Bats.

• Thumbs Up 1

Last year was their first season in FBS and they would’ve played in the Sun Belt CG, but first year teams are automatically ineligible for conference championships. The Sun Belt is no joke. They have a lot of ranked teams and JMU beat App State and Coastal Carolina. They’re a team to be reckoned with.

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/20/2023 at 5:44 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Last year was their first season in FBS and they would’ve played in the Sun Belt CG, but first year teams are automatically ineligible for conference championships. The Sun Belt is no joke. They have a lot of ranked teams and JMU beat App State and Coastal Carolina. They’re a team to be reckoned with.

I've watched them play twice.  They're pretty well-coached and have some good players. There's probably a team or two in the Pac-12 they could handle as well.

On 10/20/2023 at 8:44 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

James Madison was also a Founder to be reckoned with. Adams, Franklin, and Jefferson, all considered Jemie to be the brightest of the bunch. 

Jemie stood 4'11" tall (short?). Wife Dolly, 4'9". 

When the British burned down the Presidential Mansion in 1814, Dolly refused to leave before the portrait of George Washington was rescued.

Later that evening, after the British had burned down much of Washington, the fiercest hurricane to ever hit Washington came up and eviscerated the British Army.

Shortly thereafter, on September 18, 1814, Francis Scott Key, a 35-year-old lawyer from Washington, and a prisoner on a British warship in Baltimore Harbor, witnessing a Baltimore fort under attack by the British Navy, wrote the Star Spangled Banner, officially adopted by Congress in 1931 as the USA National Anthem.

Andrew Jackson, who would become president and is on the bills in many a wallet (but not enough in my case), made his bones at The Battle of New Orleans, fought on November 15, 1815, nine days after the War of 1812 concluded with the Treaty of Ghent but before news of the treaty reached the USA. No telegraph, no phone, no internet.

A Liberal Arts education is a terrible thing to waste. Or, perhaps, a waste?

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/20/2023 at 11:58 PM, Jon Joseph said:

The Battle of New Orleans, fought on November 15, 1815

1815? Well, it seems that Johnny Horton needs a history lesson. He stated that in 1814 we took a little trip along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip’. Apparently, there was bacon, beans and an alligator involved in this event.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Friends in VA are very high on JMU not only this year, but in the future. They have been doing a slow build for some time and just getting better and better. They have done things the right way and it's paying off.

They may not win every game, but I'd bet on this, they would get 4 sacks against any team in the PAC. The D is solid at any level. 

On the way they've won two NCs. There overall athletic department is solid, but it will be tough finding their way into a P conference any time soon. Harrisonburg, VA is not exactly a giant market and they are not quite close enough to DC be NOVA.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/21/2023 at 8:14 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

1815? Well, it seems that Johnny Horton needs a history lesson. He stated that in 1814 we took a little trip along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip’. Apparently, there was bacon, beans and an alligator involved in this event.

I guess Horton had 'poetic license?' Not sure how many briars and brambles surround New Orleans? 

I am reasonably certain that rabbit shows up in a Cajun dish or two.

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2023 at 8:58 PM, Jon Joseph said:

A Liberal Arts education is a terrible thing to waste. Or, perhaps, a waste?

Not when the Liberal Arts education is liberal in the classic sense of the word and not the modern.  Nice set of trivia facts, Jon. Thanks.

• Thanks 1