Charles Fischer

Nick Aliotti on Lanning Decisions: 'That's Just Who I Am'

I do not listen to the John Canzano radio show except for a short commute to home, grocery store, etc. when he happens to be on.  But I did catch a snippet of an interview he had (Live) with former Defensive Coordinator for Oregon and current Pac-12 Network Analyst Nick Aliotti

After a wide range of interesting questions and discussion--John asked him, "what did YOU think of the decisions by Lanning on the three 4th downs in the Washington game?"

Nick emphasized a couple of times how he likes what Lanning is doing here on a number of fronts, and he is NOT second-guessing, because he gave his opinion on the downs in question as it actually happened in real-time.  On the first one before halftime?  "I'm kicking the field goal, going into halftime only down a point, with momentum and the ball starting the second half."

Aliotti comforts JS.jpg

Nick comforts a player crushed by the 2014 Natty Loss

On the second one in mid-third quarter? "I would have kicked the field goal."  (Analyst and former college coach as four Pac-12 schools--Ken Woody at the Register-Guard wrote the same thing recently.)

On the third one?  "I would have punted."  Then he emphasized all the above again, and how his opinion doesn't make it right but,..."but I would have punted because that's who I am."

Just passing it along, and this, again, might be the difference between a coach being age 37 versus 67...

My History with Nick

Some may recall the connection between the early days of FishDuck and Coach Aliotti, as he allowed a meeting with me before I even had the first website, before I received media credentials and when the local media only knew Oregon's 4-3 defense.  I announced the change to the 3-4 defense after that meeting in May of 2010, and the rest of the media spent the rest of the summer trying to deny the change, get Chip to admit the change, or attack me personally for suggesting it.

Below is the story...

FISHDUCK.COM

(Please note that this white paper was written and distributed onto a number of Oregon forums in June of 2010, but this article of the White Paper was not…

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I agree with Aliotti.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aliotti was a pretty good DC. As a head coach, Lanning did none of what Aliotti would have done.

Lanning is the head coach of the Oregon Ducks. He was a pretty good DC too. If I remember right he got one of these👇

0fc57c549be951ba860635f0335eff6a.jpeg.806db498f43039d22c855cd87d833247.jpeg

He is pretty new at this Head coaching thing. Hope he can get another one of those with a big green emerald O on it

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I forgot to mention in the opening post that Nick said something that just about made me veer into the curb....

"All three of Oregon's close losses under Lanning have had interesting 4th down decisions."

Yep.

BFT Interview: Nick Aliotti - 750 The Game

• Wow 1

Mr. FishDuck

i-ate-my-shrink.thumb.jpeg.5b6e1170760b249a869b16f81436bc21.jpeg

• Haha 1

I always temper my reading of Ken Woody's analysis with the knowledge he was 3-16 in his last head coaching job.   I do enjoy Aliotti's analysis on Pac12 Network.

• Thumbs Up 2

I will add when looking at what defines an aggressive coach in the NFL, it comes down to blitz's and passing.

Makes me wonder when Lanning is going to start throwing downfield more, and blitzing more. 

Going for it on 4th down doesn't really move the dial, when defining an aggressive NFL team. Going for it on 4th down is more about not trusting ones defense, and taking a chance on the offense. Is that what Lanning really wants to convey, do?

If he wants to be aggressive thrown it downfield, get after the opposing qb more.

What I also find interesting is when a grandmaster plays a computer in chess, the computer wins because it sits back and waits for the grandmaster to make mistakes. It isn't overly aggressive, just probes, waits for mistakes, that is one of the interesting observations about a computer against a human.

If Lanning really wants to be aggressive, wait for mistakes, set up the opposition. Use quantitative analysis and get aggressive during regular play with blitz's and passing, probe more. I wonder if Lanning is moving that direction with wide receiver and edge rusher recruiting? Maybe he just isn't there yet?

I doubt he is going to move away from being aggressive, maybe just in another way once all the pieces are in place?

For now I am over the piling on his going for it on 4th down, what is next? Where is Lanning aggressive style going, because it isn't going away.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Interesting that DL seems to be more aggressive on offense than on defense. Maybe it is game management situation or whatever analytics he uses to decide when to go for it on 4th down. It also looks like there is a default position of a higher level of risk tolerance on offense.

On defense he seems to be taking more of a conservative 'stop the run and don't give up explosion plays' approach. Perhaps fewer blitz and stunting pressure packages than we night have expected from a defensively oriented coach.

It may also be a reflection of the pass happy teams leading the PAC this year. If it is personnel related, Lanning certainly appears to be recruiting the quality of edge and D-line players that will ultimately let him get much more aggressive on that side of the ball. It's a good bet we'll see more of that next year against B1G teams.

I've had an opportunity to talk with Nick on a couple of occasions.  He likes Dan a lot and thinks he will do just fine.  

I agree too with the sentiments about Ken Woody.  Don't dislike the guy in anyway but find his analysis to always be a bit too caustic.  It's certainly fair to point out what doesn't work but I find he rarely points out what does.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

East Bay DD- agree with your sentiments on why Dan is recruiting quality edge and dline guys and I think that is why he is pushing so hard to get Rushing.  I think he sees him as the prototypical kind of guy to fully fit his scheme along with Tuioti and Uiagalelei

The team with the most successful 4th down conversions since 2021, is Georgia.

How often do you see Georgia blitz? Not often.

Jim Knowles at Ohio State reined in his blitzing at Ohio State and the Buckeyes D has measurably improved in 2023.

Oregon without a boatload of blitzing is getting a lot of pressure on the QB. Cam Ward was sacked 6 times last week. Blitzing a guy like Ward would have opened up his opportunities to run the ball. 

I have no beef at all with DL's philosophy on D. On the road, on O, I would like to see him take the points.

• Thumbs Up 2

How important is Bo in these 4th down decisions? I can't see DL going for it with TT as QB.