Charles Fischer

The Game Preparation...the BEST EVER for Oregon's Coaches?

Coach Lanning in the post-game interviews confirmed what it appeared to me when watching the game...there were no surprises, as they knew all that was coming.

I am working on an article for Monday, but I was stunned at some of the game strategies implemented by Oregon, and delighted with others that I anticipated.  To me, this was as much as a coaching victory as a player performance. 

Yes, I know all the Utah injuries, and frankly--Utah would be quite a different team without the injuries.  But boo-hoo; nobody felt sorry for us in 2007 when the Heisman for Dixon and the 'Natty was there for the taking...if not for our injuries.  Bottom line, is that this team we played beat USC in the Coliseum, and could beat us.  In fact, they kicked our butts the last time we were in SLC.

My point? The coaching preparation was extraordinary, and Tosh in his recent interview made reference to how they are working hard at game-prep right up to game time with anything that can help the team win. Then Lanning in the post-game interview admits that additions were made on Saturday morning to the game plan that altered the game.

Holy Crap.

Tysheem Johnson pick_Eric Evans of Oregon Football.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

WaPo Agrees

The Ducks are a complete team.

• Thumbs Up 1

Those huddles on the first few series were chef’s kiss!!

The Ducks took the crowd and the Utes’ DC out of the game on the (2nd—oops) snap in the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

We all know this can be a great football team and today they beat a very good team with a great home field record in their own building. Extremely entertaining for me.

I am usually one to not praise the positive and bring up the negative and today I had very few negative reactions. 

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

One thing the coaches appeared to plan for was to neutralize the Utes two-way emerging wunderkind, Vaki. Lupoi had a sign to let the D know he was in the game, as the Utes apparently had a limited number of offensive sets to use him out of.  Makes sense since Vaki had only recently moved to offense. Thus Oregon more or less knew what was coming when he was in the game. 

So not only did the Duck D shut him down completely, they had a heads up on the plays being run. He ended up with 5 carries for 11 yds and no receptions. He was responsible for the first of Tysheem's two picks when he didn't complete a route (although TJ was in perfect position and may have made the play anyway). By the 2nd half he was back on defense almost exclusively and the Utes had abandoned the offense centered on him. 

That, my fellow feathered fanatic friends, is just plain good coaching and game planning.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I believe we all tend to expect perfection, because frankly, it damn near takes perfection to consistently defeat the elite.  I was looking for the ability to adjust real time to what is happening on the field.  I saw that today on both offense and defense.  We quickly took them out of their gameplan-or actually, we exploited their obvious weaknesses immediately.  

It only took the defense a couple of series to shut down Utah's adjustments.  It only took one additional series for the offense to do the same.   I only saw three breakdowns in responsibilities on defense.  The players were playing football as much as they were executing a strategy.  By that I mean on defense, the players did what they are generally responsible for at each position.  This was on top of being physical. 

The focus on really improving is there.  The players get it.  They have to bring it every down, and they have to get better every day.  The UW loss put a fire of urgency on this team.  They are playing like every play counts.  That is a first.  It is becoming an expectation.  I don't see complacency, or general satisfaction with a good play here or there.  These guys are looking to be flawless.  As close to it as possible.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

A big plus for me is the coaching staff got rid of Brandon’s only weakness in setting the edge when it is his responsibility. Best game I’ve seen him play. He was a monster no matter where Lupoi stuck him, inside or out. 

If the Defensive coaches keep coaching these studs up the future is bright for the rest of the season.

I know many of us were concerned about the defensive side of the ball this year but I think our prayers have been answered.

Great effort but I really wonder how good Utah really is. They definitely didn’t scare me the entire game.

• Applause 1

If there were any question on who the better coach is, this game was, as noted, case in point.

Dan Lanning and staff can game plan, adjust and be ready for big road games. What a contrast to the last two games MC had against Utah.

Kudos to MarØ for beating 2-6 Virginia in overtime at home. He has found his home, thankfully it wasn't Oregon, and can continue to attempt to resurrect the canes. 

Oregon can continue it's journey to win a Natty, under the keen guidance of the right guy for the job ahead!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2