Mic

Injured Bear Up and Walking Again

The East Bay News is reporting that Jayvian Thomas, the injured running back Saturday evening, is back up on his feet and walking.  It's a pay-site but I was able to read enough to know he's going to be OK.  That's got to make the Oregon D-linemen feel better too.  

• Whew! 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 12
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 2

This is great news!  Having broke my back years ago and not knowing if I would walk again, these things hit me hard!!  Glad he'll be able carry on with his life in a normal way...football or not.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 3

I'm so glad to hear this news, thanks for posting it.

• Thumbs Up 2

So glad he appears to be ok. I waited to share my bit of medical insight on this. I watched the film of the event a few times and the mechanism looked like one that could result in a concussion with (grade 2: less than 5 min) loss of consciousness.

He gets hit from the front and his head snaps back when he hits the ground and not before. First thing he did was bring his hands up to his helmet then out to his side as the lights went out. No decorticate/decerebrate posturing like one sees in a serious head injury and nothing to indicate a spinal cord injury. Definitely got his bell rung by the FieldTurf though. It sure looked bad on the field and when they took him off on the cart in full spine immobilization. 

Lots of answered prayer for his family, teammates and coaches, the Duck sideline, 50,000+ in Autzen and those watching it on TV. Kudos to the Oregon crowd for the respect shown.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Glad he just got KO'd. Ducks are a physical team. Caleb's turn

• Applause 1

That injury really sapped my joy of the win. I'm so glad he is going to be ok.

• Thumbs Up 1

A Concussion, aka. Brain Damage, is a scary thing. 

I know that we all hope he has a full recovery with no long-term or lingering impact. 

On 11/6/2023 at 2:26 PM, Desert Duck said:

I know that we all hope he has a full recovery with no long-term or lingering impact. 

I think a KO like that will have lingering effects. Players weigh risk and reward. CTE is front and center in football. Everyone knows the risk involved. I am glad he is ok and that rules have been put into place to mitigate concussions and cte.

The most popular sports are gladiator and combat related. KO's are going to happen. In some, KO's are the point. I loved watching Tyson in his prime, put dudes to sleep.

For me, I love that Oregon is a brutal, nasty, violent, physical team. I want more of that played within the rules of the game. I don't like dirty pool at any level.

I want every team that steps out on the field with Oregon to know that it is going to be violent. Grab your blanky and a carpet mat because it could be nap time.

These are just my opinions and are in now way a challenge to others opinions. 

On 11/6/2023 at 2:26 PM, Desert Duck said:

Exactly.  While relieved it wasn't a broken neck, a 'knockout' like that will likely see his season end.  At best, he probably loses the next two games.  I'm also very relieved for (I believe) Keyon Ware-Hudson who hit him as he was trying to score from the 4 yard line.  You know it had to impact Keyon seeing him lying there on the turf for 15 minutes. 

• Thumbs Up 1