Jon Joseph

College Football - 2nd Playoff Ranking - Eye Test or What Have Done on the Field?

The Grapevine Gurus are close to bumping ESPN's ratings and coming with its 2nd of 5 rankings.

What will prevail? Strength of Record (SOR,) Strength of Schedule (SOS), or, the Eye of the Beholder Test? Also shown below is a team's remaining SOS (RSOS.)

Before the rankings are released and through the Week 10 games, here are the ESPN SOR, SOS, and remaining to-be-played games SOS.

OREGON is in the top 10 SOR.

SOR Top 10 Rankings.

1. Ohio State - SOS - 20 - RSOS - 7

2. Washington - SOS - 41 - RSOS - 10

3. FSU - SOS - 58 - RSOS - 44

4. Alabama - SOS - 8 - RSOS - 15

5. Texas - SOS - 10 - RSOS - 34

6. Ole Miss - SOS -13 - RSOS - 24

7. Georgia - SOS - 90 - RSOS - 3

8. Michigan - SOS - 111 - RSOS - 1

9. Penn State - SOS - 37 - RSOS - 20

10. OREGON - SOS - 63 - RSOS - 32.

The above ROS rankings do not take into consideration conference championship games.

It likely will not happen but if stats matter, UW should jump FSU tonight. OREGON needs to win out and for UW to finish undefeated. 

A 1-loss conference champion Bama, Texas, and UGA, if it finishes 12-1, and a 13-0 B1G champion, along with an IMO over ranked FSU, could give the 12-1 Pac-12 champ Ducks a playoff weenie.

Beat SC!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

Just win (out) Baby!

• Applause 1

It was a bit of both. The Committee's love for FSU baffles me.

By any metric, UW should be ranked ahead of FSU.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2023 at 9:29 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Agree

• Thumbs Up 2

🤔Hmm, Greg McElroy face planting as shown below.  First he had Oregon at No. 6, less than 24 hours he was irritated with the committee putting Oregon at No. 6?

CFP committee chair Boo Corrigan defends Oregon's spot as highest-ranked one-loss team

xvaqvywxa5jpffq4miwk.jpg

https://saturdayoutwest.com/oregon-ducks/cfp-committee-chair-boo-corrigan-defends-oregons-spot-as-highest-ranked-one-loss-team/

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2023 at 12:29 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I can certainly see your point, as it seems pretty obvious that UW has the best win.  

However, I don’t find it surprising.  FSU has some wins that the committee consider good wins.  They whipped up on a highly ranked LSU and a ranked Duke.  And they went into Death Valley and beat Clemson.  

I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if either were ranked ahead of the other.

I hate this debate with a passion. At its core, your record means little. I have zero (0) love for Michigan. They have played nobody. Yet they are undefeated. They should be in the top 5. Yet, by using the metrics of 'who have you played', and 'do you pass the eyeball test', you should have UM below UW at the very least. One could argue Oregon took an undefeated team to the last play with the game in Oregons hands.

Shouldn't Oregon be ranked ahead of UM? By that questionable metric one could reasonably argue that.

But, I hate opinions when it comes to rankings. Its skewed, its biased, it opens the door to conspiracy and tainted views.

Simply play the stinking games and then.....scoreboard.

But I'm a puritan for CFB. No trophy's for losers only winners. The playoffs start in the regular season. Round (1) win your conference. 5 players with (7), I prefer (3), at large. Then take the at large and apply your record accordingly. You don't get punished for the conference you are in. If you are 11-1 and another team is 10-2......well? You played your in season and you lost. Want to get in? Don't lose next time.

I seriously hate that a bunch of guys can sit around a table and give their opinion to who plays in the playoffs. I also hate that they rank teams before anyone plays a game. Its all fixed. Why even play if you have to play by different rules if you are in a separate conference? Its disgusting.

I love College Football.

Texas, Oregon, or Alabama? How the BCS rankings would order the top 1-loss teams

An interesting debate has stirred up in the world of college football over the last 24 hours that has accompanied the release of the latest College Football Playoff rankings.

That debate questions which one-loss team in the nation should be ranked the highest: the Oregon Ducks, the Texas Longhorns, or the Alabama Crimson Tide.

All have fair arguments. Neither Texas nor Alabama has looked better than the Ducks over the past month; neither Oregon nor Alabama has a better win than Texas this year (vs. No. 8 Alabama); neither Oregon nor Texas have a better loss than Alabama this year (vs. No. 7 Texas).

This is where you get the “eye test” supporters clashing with the “strength of record” supporters, and it leaves us with a lot of people yelling at each other...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Texas, Oregon, or Alabama? How the BCS rankings would order the top 1-loss teams

A big factor is Alabama and Texas both lost at home and the Ducks lost a tough one to the muts on a wet field. No contest.

• Applause 1

Top six teams remain unchanged in the week 11 CFP rankings | Joel Klatt Show

Joel Klatt reacted to the week 11 CFP rankings.

He wondered if No. 5 Washington Huskies’ resume is more impressive than No. 4 Florida State Seminoles’ resume.

Then, Joel analyzed the pickle the committee has put one-loss teams such as No. 6 Oregon Ducks, No. 7 Texas Longhorns and No. 8 Alabama Crimson Tide and in...

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

Joel Klatt reacted to the week 11 CFP rankings. He wondered if No. 5 Washington Huskies’ resume is more impressive than No. 4 Florida State Seminoles’ resume. Then, Joel analyzed the pickle the committee has put one-loss teams such as No. 6 Oregon Ducks, No. 7 Texas Longhorns and No. 8 Alabama Crimson Tide and in.

Why rival Ducks, Huskies are also best friends when it comes to College Football Playoff rankings

Washington and Oregon held their ground in the second College Football Playoff rankings as five Pac-12 teams made the cut — none of them from Los Angeles.

The Huskies were No. 5 for the second consecutive week, followed immediately by the Ducks in the No. 6 spot. Oregon State moved up four positions to No. 12, and Utah held steady at No. 18.

Meanwhile, Arizona made its first appearance in the CFP rankings since 2017, landing in the No. 21 spot after beating UCLA for its third consecutive win.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Oregon and Washington each need the other to keep winning.

On 11/8/2023 at 10:25 AM, SoGaDawg said:

I can certainly see your point, as it seems pretty obvious that UW has the best win.  

However, I don’t find it surprising.  FSU has some wins that the committee consider good wins.  They whipped up on a highly ranked LSU and a ranked Duke.  And they went into Death Valley and beat Clemson.  

I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if either were ranked ahead of the other.

How big a win is defeating Clemson this season? Clemson is 5-4.

Based on the teams played and beaten, IMO UGA should be #1. Ohio State is getting far too much mileage out of a close as it can get win at Notre Dame. And Notre Dame is still ranked because Clemson was terrific a few years back.

I hope that the CFB world figures out how to go to a 16-team playoff in 2026. Of course, 17 and 18 will whine but without justification. At the very least, I am happy to see CFB going to 12 next although giving the 4 highest ranked conference champions the top 4 seeds along with a bye will foul up the seedings. Projected out to 2024, B12 champ Utah would have a bye, and Michigan would not.

• Thumbs Up 1

That show was a tough watch. Mostly seeing Greg McElroy reverting to conference assumptions of SEC being the best and PAC12 being the worst.

The only redeeming thing was watching Kirk Herbstreit shake his head with a "you don't know what you are talking about" look on his face when Greg said it should be Bama Texas then Oregon.

Oregon's SoS is low but some of the PAC12 teams under 500 would be over 500 in the SEC.

It's like the OOC preseason never happened. And it's a self reinforcing slide of ranking PAC12 teams. Like when you have a jar full of different rocks and the longer you shake the rocks around, the bigger ones (SEC long term + bias) rise to the top and the smaller ones (PAC12 long term - bias) move to the bottom.

I mean would Jaden Daniels be in the Heisman conversation on a 3 loss team in the PAC12? Of course not.

Looking for a little more respect in the B1G, but this year will still be insufferable until the end, or until Oregon or Washington beats somebody in the Playoffs on that slim chance they actually get in.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/8/2023 at 2:09 PM, Jon Joseph said:

How big a win is defeating Clemson this season? Clemson is 5-4.

Based on the teams played and beaten, IMO UGA should be #1. Ohio State is getting far too much mileage out of a close as it can get win at Notre Dame. And Notre Dame is still ranked because Clemson was terrific a few years back.

I hope that the CFB world figures out how to go to a 16-team playoff in 2026. Of course, 17 and 18 will whine but without justification. At the very least, I am happy to see CFB going to 12 next although giving the 4 highest ranked conference champions the top 4 seeds along with a bye will foul up the seedings. Projected out to 2024, B12 champ Utah would have a bye, and Michigan would not.

I stated emphatically on another thread that I was sure that a 1loss Oregon that wins the PAC-12 is in the Playoff.  It saddens me to realize that there are realistic scenarios where this might not be the case.  

I’m afraid that FSU is going to win out, and will certainly be in the Playoff.

I’m almost positive that 1 SEC team is in and 1 B1G team is in.  

Texas could win out and have a strong case.  I’m hoping Oklahoma St beats them if they meet in the Big-12 Championship.

Honestly though, I feel strongly that if Oregon wins out by beating an undefeated Washington in the PAC-12 Championship, they will make the top 4.  Especially if they win convincingly, which I truly think they are capable of.  

If GA can take care of business and win out wrapping up the SEC, and Oregon can take care of business convincingly, I think there is a good chance we get what we want.  A Ducks vs Dawgs Playoff game!  Perhaps even a National Championship game!!!

• Let’s hope! 1

On 11/8/2023 at 8:20 AM, 1Funduck said:

I hate this debate with a passion.

I love College Football.

I clipped out my two favorite parts: the 1st sentence and the last.  Not that those in-between weren't good.  This just sums it all up pretty succinctly.  Cheers!