FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: How GREAT Has Troy Franklin Been?

Our Oregon Ducks football team has been surrounded by an embarrassment of superstars all over the offense in 2023. While the defense has more than done its part to become one of the most stifling groups in the conference, the offense cannot be stopped after averaging just over 48.1 points per game (ppg) over the first 10 weeks. Even while sitting ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Our Oregon Ducks football team has been surrounded by an embarrassment of superstars all over the offense in 2023. While the defense...
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

For what it is worth, I saw a mock draft yesterday that projected Troy going late in the 1st round (#31 to Kansas City).

WWW.USATODAY.COM

Caleb Williams is still atop the latest 2024 NFL mock draft, but Drake Maye has at least mounted a push to be the No. 1 pick.

He has been one of the best, but as we saw against CAL if you key on him, we have other weapons.

I am curious about how Bo and Franklin will do in the draft, and the NFL, but mostly how they will finish out the season. 

I am then curious about the next group of receivers, qb's, rb's and wether there is culture being fostered that will bring us to an even higher level of play and execution. 

Bo, Franklin, Bucky all deserve our respect and gratitude for coming to Oregon. They have elevated play and created a show that is, once again, worth staying in your seats for. 

To answer your question directly with statistics, he will be in the top ten if he leaves this season, and #1 if he comes back next season. Comparing him to Sammie Parker isn't something I want to do. Franklin is the best we have now, and for that I am grateful. He will be leaving a legacy that will be judged, and leave memories which will be priceless.

On 11/8/2023 at 6:28 AM, Haywarduck said:

He has been one of the best, but as we saw against CAL if you key on him, we have other weapons.

And I'd you do key in on him, he'll still get over 70 yards receiving and a touchdown. 

It kind of reminds me of the Justin Herbert and Dillon Mitchell connection in 2018... But Herbert didn't really have anyone who could actually catch his passes so Mitchell was double or at times tripped teamed. 

Can't do that with this team. 

Well you can... But you'll lose. 

• Applause 1

Troy has certainly been a joy to watch and his presence forces the Duck opponents into coverage(s) that Bo can exploit.

In that Mock draft, Troy is the 6th wide receiver off the board. Going to KC, Troy's NFL career would blossom with PM slinging the ball.

Add in the additional talent the Ducks have and it is the recipe for 48 points per game....

For this fan, football seems in order when OBD's lead the nation in scoring points. And the Duck D keeps opponents under 20 ppg..

For years, especially during the MC years, Charles has written or posted the CFP teams average 45 plus points per game. 2023 Duck O is right on track......

Beating sc is the only thing this 2023 team should focus on. Losing to the Trojans could keep the Ducks out of the PAC title game.

DL, staff and players will not let this happen....

Side note: In that Mock draft, 3 frickin huskies in first round, 1 Duck and 1 trojan. But no Bo.........

I feel Bo will be a late first rounder. His high football IQ, patience and leadership make Bo a perfect backup for a top 10 NFL team.

Win out and Bo's stock will rise.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

This year’s Ducks are laden with talented receivers who get better every game. The best is yet to come.

Franklin and Tez are fast and can shake and bake through heavy traffic. They are good with the ball, blocking, and can catch contested balls due to superb balance, hang time, focus and strong hands.

This team is deep. The backs can catch and run after contact. The tight ends led by Ferguson, Herbert, and Sadiq are great talents.

WR’s are deep with six or more who have contributed and play at a high level. I am not disputing Ryan’s synopsis, and add that there are many more capable receivers, TE’s, and RB’s.

The receiving corps is very good and getting better. It is a reliable group who can create first downs, cross the middle and stretch the field.

Go Ducks! Beat Trojans!

• Like 1

Troy Franklin is quite fortunate that I also attended Menlo Atherton High School although about a half a century prior to his attendance. I lost my mojo in the M-A locker room and he clearly found it. You can thank me at the Pac 12 Championship Game. 

Its great to see Stein using his slot, TE, and wide outs the way he is. He is taking advantage of the middle of the field, love it. Gives Bo a better opportunity to create explosion plays.

What a nightmare for the opposing DC’s to prepare for. 

If our oline gives Bo the time this Saturday I expect him to lite up usuc.

Oh! And then there is our running backs that can catch the ball. And run.

What a great time to be a Duck.

Dont`e Thornton must be kicking himself right now.  He got impatient, didn't want to be WR2 this season and moved to Tennessee where he's getting a measly 2 receptions a game (if he's lucky).  If he had stayed here he would've had more receptions than last season and presumably move into the WR1 slot next season when Franklin goes to the NFL.  Sucks to be him right now.

On 11/8/2023 at 10:04 AM, kirklandduck said:

Dont`e Thornton must be kicking himself right now.  He got impatient, didn't want to be WR2 this season and moved to Tennessee where he's getting a measly 2 receptions a game (if he's lucky).  If he had stayed here he would've had more receptions than last season and presumably move into the WR1 slot next season when Franklin goes to the NFL.  Sucks to be him right now.

You may be overestimating how good Thornton actually is.  He was ranked as highly as he was based on his physical measurements and potential, rather than how good he actually was at the time.  There is a lot more to being a good receiver beyond being big and fast.  It is very possible he will never live up to his ranking.