Ktmguy2018

DL Would Not Allow This!

Interesting article from the perspective of a LB from USC after the UW loss.  If you don't want to peruse the entire article, I have cut his quote and pasted it here:

Screenshot_20231109-165006.thumb.png.d96ec60d66bc9bca58c529b313cf12a6.png

DL would NOT allow this attitude.  That is what makes him such an incredible asset.  Ignoring a bad game does nothing for developing players. 

I honestly cannot believe that this behavior is acceptable to a college level coach.

Yeah, your defense stunk it up as it has done all season.  Allowing a player to dictate what film study is done does NOT prepare them for the next game.  

And while I am on my horse, this does NOT translate well to life skills either.  Much to learn at that University.

CLUTCHPOINTS.COM

The USC football defense did not perform well against Washington, and the result clearly had a big effect on...

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 11/9/2023 at 5:04 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

DL would NOT allow this attitude.  That is what makes him such an incredible asset.  Ignoring a bad game does nothing for developing players. 

More importantly... Lanning's culture wouldn't allow it. Coaches can't make players do anything. But they can build a system of encouragement, culture and punishment to get players to do things like film study. 

I think the biggest thing is that in Lanning's culture at this.point it's not about what he will or won't allow, but more importantly it's about how players hold each other accountable. 

Nix wouldn't stand for anyone in that Oregon team not studying film. Doralus wouldn't tolerate anyone not preparing for the game. 

I also think that Lanning and co are savy enough in meetings to know who is and isn't doing their homework and those who are not doing it don't see the field and won't be with the team next year. 

Part of success is two fold.... The starters need to watch the film to know what they are up against and scout team players need to know what to emulate. 

This is telling that USC probably doesn't have an effective scout team as well. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Lanning has set the standard. He is almost 2 years into implementing the standard. I can't fully explain what the standard is but I think most of us know what it looks like. 

Part of that standard probably has Lanning removed from the day to day disciplinary/accountability functions. I think the progr'm is moved far enough down the line that that has become a player to player function. Much more effective imo.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Now if they players will hold each other accountable for penalties.

They do that, and there is nothing they can’t do!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/9/2023 at 5:04 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Allowing a player to dictate what film study is done does NOT prepare them for the next game

This makes me even more excited to play them.

The new co-DCs clearly haven’t improved things—they might even be the reason players aren’t doing film study anymore.

Also, based on the latest interviews of U$C players, I can now see why Riley didn’t want them to be available for press after Utah. They sound like whiney babies.

On 11/9/2023 at 5:57 PM, PittDuck said:

Now if they players will hold each other accountable for penalties.

They do that, and there is nothing they can’t do!

Penalties have been so up and down this year. It really makes me feel it's more about the ref crew than anything else. It wouldn't be a shocker if the pac-12 refs lack consistency among themselves. 

Here are just some examples I can remember off the top of my head. 

Against PSU we had like 1 penalty and it was like the 3rd string. 

Against Texas Tech boat loads. 

Utah... Relatively few from the Ducks. 

Cal... Loads of stupid stuff.

It just doesn't feel consistent and it's difficult to predict how any ref crew is going to react to certain things. There also seems to be an on going trend that smaller offensive lines seem to get away with holding at a far higher rate than bigger ones. 

• Great post! 1

It’s the false starts and after the whistle needless stuff that fires me up.  As you said, stupid stuff.

I do believe that if the players held each other to a higher standard regarding unnecessary penalties, they could do anything!

I guess I have no reason to gripe at ranking 112 in penalty yards when we beat 118 WA, 125 USuC, and 139 CO!

• Haha 1

On 11/9/2023 at 6:41 PM, PittDuck said:

ranking 112 in penalty yards when we beat 118 WA, 125 USuC, and 139 CO!

Pac12 refs much??

• Mic drop 1

On 11/9/2023 at 6:41 PM, PittDuck said:

It’s the false starts and after the whistle needless stuff that fires me up.

The false starts suck but seem situational—crowd noise, defense shenanigans, etc..

The after-the-whistle calls are unacceptable.

Emotional control is one of the most, if not _the_ most, important skill for success in sports. (I know bc I was not good at it.)

Judging from interviews, DL and crew seem to understand this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Let's be honest, most coaches wouldn't allow this, Smith wouldn't allow this, Willingham wouldn't allow this, heck whoever the coach at Middle Tennessee St. wouldn't allow this, can't imagine not watching film and hoping to get better.

• Like 1

So, you're saying Mason Cobb would not be a candidate for the transfer portal to Oregon?

Gee Whizz!

• Thumbs Up 1

So the dude doesn't want to look at film?  If this is the sentiment of the rest of the team,  gimme ducks for 60 (or more) please Mr. Lanning and Mr. Stein!

I'd like to think if Caleb's a leader, he's in that Defensive room chewing some major butt!

• Like 1

Performance on the field may be an indication as to the veracity of film view deficit syndrome...

Truth and Consequenes?

Edited by woundedknees
  • Like 1

It took a couple of rereads ... but it does look like this is mostly in reference to looking at the USC-Washington film in particular. Basically... it went so bad that they can't bare to watch the game again. As a fan, I get it... but I'm not a player who needs to figure out what went wrong to fix it so it doesn't happen again.

So they aren't saying they don't look at any film... but the film you learn from the most (like anything) comes from losses and mistakes and not successes. So it is still a pretty bad thing to put out there that he doesn't want to look at film and evaluate how he could get better.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2