Pennsylvania Duck

Third Official College Football Playoff Rankings of 2023 Season

Oregon Ducks hold strong in latest College Football Playoff rankings

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks didn’t see much movement in the latest update of the College Football Playoff rankings.

• Yikes! 1

Holding at #6 with UW holding at #5.  No surprises there.  This is why I have to hope for (never root for) UW to beat the Beavers.  Sorry, OSU, this is business.  

Oregon needs to win out and face an unbeaten UW if Oregon is going to make the CFB.  We all know this, it's been talked about for weeks on this site.  I only bring it up because the Beavers are in major upset mode right now.  They still have a chance to upset the apple cart and win the Conference Championship by beating UW this Saturday and (worse) beat Oregon the week after.  Heaven forbid!  NO!!!!!!!!!

What an exciting two weeks this is going to be.  GO DUCKS - BEAT ASU!  There's a lot on the table as the last Pac-12 season comes to a finish. Wow.

• Applause 1

EUGENE, Ore. — The Oregon football team came in at No. 6 in the College Football Playoff rankings for the third week in a row on Tuesday night.

The Ducks (9-1, 6-1 Pac-12) remain the nation’s highest-ranked one-loss team, and are one of five Pac-12 teams in the top 25 along with No. 5 Washington, No. 11 Oregon State, No. 17 Arizona and No. 22 Utah.

Oregon has now appeared in the CFP rankings 37 times since it began in 2014, when UO went on to play in the inaugural CFP national championship game. This is the Ducks’ 22nd top-10 CFP ranking.

The Ducks have won four straight games after defeating USC, 36-27, last week in Eugene. Oregon will play at Arizona State this Saturday (1:05 p.m. PT, FOX) before closing the regular season at home against No. 11 Oregon State on Friday, Nov. 24 (5:30 p.m., FOX).

Oregon's Resumé at a Glance

» Leads the nation in scoring offense (46.3 PPG) while tying for 12th in scoring defense (17.1 PPG).

» One of six FBS teams in the top 15 for both scoring offense and scoring defense.

» One of three FBS teams (Georgia, SMU) in the top 20 for both total offense (2nd, 540.0 YPG) and total defense (18th, 309.4 YPG).

» One of three FBS teams (Air Force, UCLA) in the top 20 for both rushing offense (16th, 201.30 YPG) and rushing defense (13th, 97.11 YPG).

» Leads the nation in fewest turnovers (4), fewest sacks allowed (4) and first downs per game (26.8).

» The only FBS team in the top 15 of both sacks allowed (1st, 4) and sacks (T-12th, 31).

» No. 2 nationally in total offense (540.0 YPG), total yards per play (7.84) and yards per rush (6.16).

» The only FBS team to score at least 30 points in every game this season.

» Leads the nation in first-half scoring (26.40 PPG) and first-half scoring differential (+16.70).

» Held opponents to less than 100 rushing yards seven times in 10 games.

» No. 18 nationally in total defense (309.4 YPG).

» One of just four teams (Michigan, Ohio State, Ohio) to hold opponents to 10-or-fewer points at least five times.

» No. 2 in the Pac-12 in passing defense (214.7 YPG) and No. 3 in rushing defense (94.70 YPG).

» Dominated then-No. 18 Utah on Oct. 28 in Salt Lake City, 35-6.

» Held a ranked team to six points or less on the road for the first time since 1989.

» QB Bo Nix leads the nation in completion percentage (77.7) while ranking tied for second in passing touchdowns (29), third in passer rating (184.66), fifth in passing yards per game (313.5) and fifth in total touchdowns (34).

Troy Franklin_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter (4).jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Can't see a one loss Oregon get left out, if Oregon State beats Washington then it's two straight top ten wins to end the year. A one loss Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan without a conference title isn't getting in ahead of Oregon. Neither is Texas.  Nobody can tell me Texas is better than Oregon right now.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2023 at 8:39 PM, GatOrlando said:

if Oregon State beats Washington then it's two straight top ten wins to end the year.

I am thinking ( because OSU is 11/10ap) that it would look better on our resume to have OSU narrowly beat UW. It would move us ahead of UW, move OSU into the top 10, and would not move UW out of the top 10.

If the Beavers and UW are both top 10, and we beat them both by more than 10, that should push us ahead of tOSU or Michigan, (whoever loses), and keep us ahead of the other 1 loss teams.

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 9:26 PM, Jon Sousa said:

I am thinking ( because OSU is 11/10ap) that it would look better on our resume to have OSU narrowly beat UW. It would move us ahead of UW, move OSU into the top 10, and would not move UW out of the top 10.

If the Beavers and UW are both top 10, and we beat them both by more than 10, that should push us ahead of tOSU or Michigan, (whoever loses), and keep us ahead of the other 1 loss teams.

And if Beaves narrowly beat the fusky, then beat the Ducks, Ducks play for nothing. No 2nd crack at fusky. I would much rather get another shot at fusky, cfp or not.

I think AZ would get the nod if Beavs lose to fusky and beat the Ducks and AZ wins out.

The senario of Beaves beating Husky and losing to Ducks is spliting hairs. I want both Ducks and Huskys to win out and the Ducks to throttle an undefeated UW in Vegas.

I doubt either scenario with Ducks winning out matters to cfp seating. Super thin argument imo.

• Applause 1

Georgia has to win the conference championship for us to get in. If they lose to Alabama then Alabama jumps us and Georgia won't fall below us with the way they've been playing and the length of their winning streak in the "vaunted SEC".

There is an outside chance we still get in over 1 loss Georgia if we absolutely smash OSU and UW.

If we barely scrape by ASU, OSU, and UW that opens the door for 1 loss Texas or 1 loss Ohio State to get in over us.

Dan is smart enough to get the players to understand that nothing less than absolute dominance from here on out will be required for us to make the playoffs. Winning by itself won't be enough.

Edited by Solar

On 11/14/2023 at 9:55 PM, Mic said:

Holding at #6 with UW holding at #5.  No surprises there.  This is why I have to hope for (never root for) UW to beat the Beavers.  Sorry, OSU, this is business.  

Oregon needs to win out and face an unbeaten UW if Oregon is going to make the CFB.  We all know this, it's been talked about for weeks on this site.  I only bring it up because the Beavers are in major upset mode right now.  They still have a chance to upset the apple cart and win the Conference Championship by beating UW this Saturday and (worse) beat Oregon the week after.  Heaven forbid!  NO!!!!!!!!!

What an exciting two weeks this is going to be.  GO DUCKS - BEAT ASU!  There's a lot on the table as the last Pac-12 season comes to a finish. Wow.

Friend Mic, I'm surprised. What does UW have to do? I guess UW has to defeat its 4th Committee-ranked team of the season on the road in Corvallis. As Mic so correctly advises, Go UW! (Gulp!) Based on these rankings, if UW defeats OSU on the road while FSU defeats an FCS school at home. maybe, perhaps, if the Grapevine gurus concur, UW might jump FSU? 

Of course, if UW takes the L, the Committee is likely to drop the Huskies out of the top 10 and jump Bama, a certain winner against Chattanooga, and Texas, if it wins at Iowa State, ahead of Oregon because the Ducks loss in Seattle is no longer a 'good loss.'

UW and FSU are both undefeated. UW has the stronger Strength of Record and the stronger Strength of Schedule. Not by much but stronger in both cases. The SOS lead will improve on Saturday when UW plays at 11 Oregon State and FSU plays FCS North Alabama. Win Saturday, and UW's SOR will also materially improve.

UW has wins over committee-ranked 6 (sigh,) 17 (road), and 18 with its next-best win on the road against USC. SC had the defending Heisman winner at QB versus UW for 4 quarters. 

FSU has a win against one ranked opponent. #15 LSU at a neutral site. FSU's next-best win is at home versus a Duke team that had the lead in Tallahassee before its already injured starting QB went down at the beginning of the 4th quarter. FSU's next-best win? I guess it is versus 6-4 Clemson when Clemson failed to convert a chip shot FG for the victory.

What message is the Committee trying to send? I have no idea. However, if there is no ipso facto reward, like #1 Georgia just received for defeating 11. Mizzou and 13. Ole Miss, why schedule up?

Why isn't UW playing Tuna Fish Salad State in Seattle this Saturday instead of going on the road to play the Committee's #11 ranked team? Why isn't Oregon playing San Jose State at home and getting some reps for backups and more money for a home game? 

UW played a game at P5 Michigan State. Sparty stinks, nevertheless, UW defeated MSU on the road more emphatically than #2 Ohio State did last Saturday in Columbus. #3 Michigan played 3 donut holes OOC and its first-ranked opponent last Saturday, against one-dimensional Penn State. Ergo, the Committee has Michigan as the 3rd best team in the nation based almost exclusively on the eye test. UW has a better group of wins, by far, than Michigan.

Calm down JJ. it's week 3. I hear you, and I am by no means a Husky fan but UW with its record being disrespected is a diss to Oregon and the entire conference. 

Summary: Here is what the Committee appears to be advising CFB teams. Wins over ranked opponents are rewarded at whim, so play the same OOC conference schedule Michigan and Oregon State played this season, no P5 opponent, and do not be stupid enough to play 9 conference games.

Sincerely, Boo Corrigan. Committee Chair and NC State AD. (Hmmm?)

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 11/14/2023 at 11:39 PM, GatOrlando said:

Can't see a one loss Oregon get left out, if Oregon State beats Washington then it's two straight top ten wins to end the year. A one loss Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan without a conference title isn't getting in ahead of Oregon. Neither is Texas.  Nobody can tell me Texas is better than Oregon right now.

I hope you are correct. Oregon State defeats UW, assuming Bama wins out and wins the SEC champ game, and Texas wins and wins the B12 champ game. One of Michigan/Ohio State, and FSU go undefeated, what 2 teams do the Committee choose from 12-1 SEC conference champ Bama, 12-1 Georgia, 12-1 Texas with a win over the SEC champ on the road and 12-1 Oregon.

UW loses on Saturday and I will not be surprised to see Bama and Texas jump Oregon and UW. Both teams currently have better wins than Oregon.

With Kansas at 25, UT has 3 top-25 wins and a 3-point loss to a ranked team. The win at Bama is a terrific resume-building win.

Bama has wins over 13, 15, and 18 and well, it's Bama. 

Will the Committee if UGA suffers a close loss in the SEC champ game want to end UGA's attempt at 3 titles in a row?

I do not see a 12-1 Oregon with 3 top-25 wins as a lock for the final Final 4. Oregon playing in a conference that is disappearing could be battling one or more big brand-name teams with the same record. 

And Oregon, UW, Oregon State, Arizona, and Utah will not get any credit for not playing a Chattanooga or a North Alabama on Saturday. For playing 9 conference games.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 11/15/2023 at 7:05 AM, Log Haulin said:

And if Beaves narrowly beat the fusky, then beat the Ducks, Ducks play for nothing. No 2nd crack at fusky. I would much rather get another shot at fusky, cfp or not.

I think AZ would get the nod if Beavs lose to fusky and beat the Ducks and AZ wins out.

The senario of Beaves beating Husky and losing to Ducks is spliting hairs. I want both Ducks and Huskys to win out and the Ducks to throttle an undefeated UW in Vegas.

I doubt either scenario with Ducks winning out matters to cfp seating. Super thin argument imo.

Great comments. But there is no way a 12-1 Oregon will jump a 13-0 B1G champion. And the way things have historically played out to date with so many undefeated and 1L teams out there, I do not see an 11-1 Michigan (especially) or Ohio State getting in.

With UW ranked 5th, if UW is defeated by the Beavers, both Bama, and Texas could not only jump Oregon but also UW. 

Oregon needs to play an undefeated team ranked at least 5th in Las Vegas. Even with a loss, Oregon State will still be ranked in the Committee's week 4 rankings, and at 11. might well stay in with a 4th loss coming against Oregon.

The conference champ game will have a lot more weight with the Committee if UW is undefeated and ranked no lower than 5th. If UW wins Saturday I do not see how the CT. could keep UW behind FSU? 

Solar, great take but I think it assumes Texas finishing 12-1 with a win over Bama?

If UGA wins, UGA, likely FSU, and likely one of Mich/OH St all finish 13-0 and are in the playoff. A 13-0 UW is in the playoff.

A 12-1 TX would have a better OOC win over Bama than Ohio State's win over Notre Dame. With Michigan's terrible OOC slate, I do not see an 11-1 B1G E runner-up jumping 12-1 conference champ Texas or 12-1 conference champ Oregon. 

Texas lost its best RB last week. Hopefully, Iowa State defeats UT at home Saturday, Texas Tech beats TX in Austin in the final regular season game, this would doubly help the Ducks cause, or, OK State with the tie-breaker wins out and the Cowboys and not the Sooners play UT in the B12 champ game.

UT lurking is another reason why Oregon wants to play an undefeated UW in Las Vegas. A win over Oregon State will be a good win even if OR ST loses to UW.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 11/15/2023 at 7:47 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Friend Mic, I'm surprised. What does UW have to do? I guess UW has to defeat its 4th Committee-ranked team of the season on the road in Corvallis. As Mic so correctly advises, Go UW! (Gulp!) Based on these rankings, if UW defeats OSU on the road while FSU defeats an FCS school at home. maybe, perhaps, if the Grapevine gurus concur, UW might jump FSU? 

I'm taking in to account that one of the top 4 will lose.  Michigan plays Ohio St eventually.  One of those two will have at least 1 loss.  

For Oregon, already with one loss, they need to beat an unbeaten UW to get moved up. UW needs to win out all the way thru Championship game and remain unbeaten themselves or at least beat a one-loss Oregon again should they lose to OSU Saturday. 

OSU Beavers could win out and probably not crack the top 4.  2 losses won't get things done for them. 

OSU, you're screwed though you could definitely screw with the chances of UW and Oregon both.  All IMHO.  GO OREGON!

• Applause 1

Oregon wants in the playoffs? Simple: beat ASU, Beavis and Fusky.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Washington tops our Anger Index yet again, plus 10 other teams and one OC have reasons to be upset about their rankings.

I rest my case.

On 11/15/2023 at 9:12 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Oregon wants in the playoffs? Simple: beat ASU, Beavis and Fusky.

In summation: Yes.

OSU: you're screwed no matter what you do (probably)

UW win out - or at least beat Oregon again and pray.

On 11/15/2023 at 12:17 PM, Mic said:

In summation: Yes.

OSU: you're screwed no matter what you do (probably)

UW win out - or at least beat Oregon again and pray.

13-0 UW is in. 12-1 UW?

OR ST needs to go 1-1 in the next 2 games to play in an NY6 bowl.

12-1 Oregon needs a win over top 4 ranked UW. If UW wins Saturday and doesn't jump FSU there should be an investigation.

• Haha 1

Rooting Interests: Which teams should Duck fans be pulling for or against in final 3 weeks?

We’re winding down to the final two weeks of the regular season in the world of college football, and then a subsequent week of conference championship games.

As we get there, the postseason picture is becoming increasingly clear, and it was made even more clear on Tuesday night with the third releasing of the College Football Playoff rankings.

While there should be some confidence that the Oregon Ducks can get a spot in the playoff if they win out and earn the crown of Pac-12 champions on December 1st, there is a world where total chaos takes place, and the playoff committee is left balancing several resumes of one-loss teams when all is said and done.

While an argument can certainly be made that the Ducks would stand up fairly well in that conversation, Oregon fans would rather avoid the conversation altogether.

At the moment, there are five undefeated teams in the top 25, and four one-loss teams in the top 10, with the Ducks being among them. Over the next few weeks, all of those top 10 teams will face ranked matchups against very good teams, so a lot of things will work themselves out.

Let’s take a look at what the most chaotic outcome would potentially be, and try to dive into what rooting interests the Oregon Duck fans should have going forward to ensure that the chaos does not hurt them in the end...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A look at which college football teams Oregon Duck fans should be rooting for or rooting against in the final three weeks of the season.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/15/2023 at 9:42 AM, Jon Joseph said:

13-0 UW is in. 12-1 UW?

OR ST needs to go 1-1 in the next 2 games to play in an NY6 bowl.

12-1 Oregon needs a win over top 4 ranked UW. If UW wins Saturday and doesn't jump FSU there should be an investigation.

UW: only if the loss is to OSU and not Oregon. Followed by fervent prayer to the Gods of CFB.

So to boil it all down to the syrup: only a 12-1 Oregon or a 13-0 UW has any chance, probably.  

5 takeaways from Week 12 CFP rankings: Oregon, Washington get some help from Beavers, Wildcats

Georgia, take your rightful spot.

After back-to-back wins over top-12 conference opponents — including a 52-17 beatdown of Ole Miss on Saturday — the 10-0 Bulldogs claimed the top spot in Tuesday’s third release of the 2023 College Football Playoff rankings.

Healthy for the first time in weeks and with a passing game that has taken significant strides this year, the Bulldogs bumped ahead of No. 2 Ohio State, which beat Michigan State, 38-3.

Resounding victories by (most of) the rest of the top 8 teams meant maintaining the status quo, but Missouri’s impressive 36-7 win over then-No. 14 Tennessee sent the Tigers soaring.

They fall right behind No. 3 Michigan, No. 4 Florida State, No. 5 Washington, No. 6 Oregon, No. 7 Texas and No. 8 Alabama...

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

After back-to-back wins over top-12 teams, including a 52-17 win over Ole Miss, Georgia claimed the top spot in Tuesday’s third...

Sorry, but I'm still advocating for the Fuskies.

5 Pac-12 teams ranked. UW is of course 1 of the 5 sitting at 5. Come Saturday, UW will have played the other 4 ranked Pac-12 teams. UW, at 11-1 if OR ST wins, will play a ranked Pac-12 team in the champ game. Hoping the opponent will be an 11-1 Ducks.

3 ACC teams ranked including 4 FSU. Come Saturday, FSU will not have played the other 2 ranked ACC teams in the regular season. FSU will most likely play a ranked ACC team in the ACC champ game but most likely, not at the ranking level of a Pac-12 team.

Miami outgained FSU last Saturday and lost. I will not be surprised if Miami defeats Louisville on Saturday.

8 conference games in the SEC I kind of get. But 8 in the ACC with no move to 9 conference games with SMU, Cal, and Stanford coming on board? Come On Man!

On 11/15/2023 at 8:09 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I hope you are correct. Oregon State defeats UW, assuming Bama wins out and wins the SEC champ game, and Texas wins and wins the B12 champ game. One of Michigan/Ohio State, and FSU go undefeated, what 2 teams do the Committee choose from 12-1 SEC conference champ Bama, 12-1 Georgia, 12-1 Texas with a win over the SEC champ on the road and 12-1 Oregon.

UW loses on Saturday and I will not be surprised to see Bama and Texas jump Oregon and UW. Both teams currently have better wins than Oregon.

With Kansas at 25, UT has 3 top-25 wins and a 3-point loss to a ranked team. The win at Bama is a terrific resume-building win.

Bama has wins over 13, 15, and 18 and well, it's Bama. 

Will the Committee if UGA suffers a close loss in the SEC champ game want to end UGA's attempt at 3 titles in a row?

I do not see a 12-1 Oregon with 3 top-25 wins as a lock for the final Final 4. Oregon playing in a conference that is disappearing could be battling one or more big brand-name teams with the same record. 

And Oregon, UW, Oregon State, Arizona, and Utah will not get any credit for not playing a Chattanooga or a North Alabama on Saturday. For playing 9 conference games.

I think the cleanest option is Georgia winning out. Ohio State/Michigan winning out, Florida State winning out. Washington/Oregon winning out. Georgia is either the one or two seed. Ohio State/Michigan is whatever Georgia isn't. Undefeated Washington is third seed, one loss Oregon is four seed. Florida State is whatever Washington/Oregon isn't.

Texas is five, Ohio State/Michigan is six. The rest is irrelevant at that point. A real headache occurs if Alabama wins out, Texas wins out, and Washington loses a nail biter to Oregon. A one loss Ohio State with a narrow loss at Michigan. At that point you have one seed Michigan, two seed Florida State as the lone undefeated squads. Then you have one loss Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Washington, and Ohio State. Georgia has one narrow loss to Alabama, Ohio State has one narrow loss to one seed Michigan..

Washington has one narrow loss to Oregon, but also a win over them. Then you have Texas with a loss to Oklahoma, but a double digit win at Alabama. Then you have a one loss Alabama that has just beat Georgia to win the SEC. Washington would have a great argument, saying their only loss is to the very team they already beat.

So again the easiest path would be three undefeated squads, possibly four. But if Oregon knocks off Washington, it's over imo. Washington would still likely trumpet their lone loss as nullyfing due to the going 1-1. But Oregon would have the conference title, and it would be on a neutral field. Plus all the stats tell us Oregon is better.

As I see it, our primary problem is if Texas wins out.  Both they and Oregon would be conference champions, but the Longhorns resume is better.

We could do it all correctly and still get hosed…

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/16/2023 at 8:48 AM, GatOrlando said:

I think the cleanest option is Georgia winning out. Ohio State/Michigan winning out, Florida State winning out. Washington/Oregon winning out. Georgia is either the one or two seed. Ohio State/Michigan is whatever Georgia isn't. Undefeated Washington is third seed, one loss Oregon is four seed. Florida State is whatever Washington/Oregon isn't.

Texas is five, Ohio State/Michigan is six. The rest is irrelevant at that point. A real headache occurs if Alabama wins out, Texas wins out, and Washington loses a nail biter to Oregon. A one loss Ohio State with a narrow loss at Michigan. At that point you have one seed Michigan, two seed Florida State as the lone undefeated squads. Then you have one loss Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Washington, and Ohio State. Georgia has one narrow loss to Alabama, Ohio State has one narrow loss to one seed Michigan.. Washington has one narrow loss to Oregon, but also a win over them. Then you have Texas with a loss to Oklahoma, but a double digit win at Alabama. Then you have a one loss Alabama that has just beat Georgia to win the SEC. Washington would have a great argument, saying their only loss is to the very team they already beat.

So again the easiest path would be three undefeated squads, possibly four. But if Oregon knocks off Washington, it's over imo. Washington would still likely trumpet their lone loss as nullyfing due to the going 1-1. But Oregon would have the conference title, and it would be on a neutral field. Plus all the stats tell us Oregon is better.

For UW to go 13-0 it has to defeat OSU and WSU and win the Pac-12 champ game. As of today, it's odds on for 12-0 or 11-1 UW to play 11-1 Oregon in Las Vegas.

Oregon State Saturday versus Oregon State and on Friday the 24th at OREGON has a chance to muck things up in the Pac-12. If OSU wins both games and UW beats WSU, 11-1 UW, would play the 10-2 Beavers in Las Vegas.

#1 Georgia plays at #20 Tennessee on Saturday; the Vols ranked #20 for some reason have no top-25 wins and lost to 5-5 Florida.

Texas plays at 6-4 Iowa State where the high is expected to be 30 degrees and Texas has lost its 1st string running back for the season.

#5 UW plays at #11 Oregon State. #22 Utah plays at #17 Arizona.

Alabama plays Chattanooga on Saturday, NL, and FSU plays NO. Alabama, NL. 

Other tough SEC games on Saturday: Ole Miss -37.5 vs. UL Monroe; MISS St - 14 vs. SO. Miss; Auburn -23.5 vs. NM St.; Arkansas -29.5 vs. FIU; LSU -31 vs. Georgia St. (will Daniels put up 500+ yards?); and A+M NL, versus Abilene Christian.

Yes, OREGON played a bad Portland State this season but traveling to Tempe to play P5 ASU is far more difficult than playing Chattanooga or NO. Alabama in Autzen.

Come 2026, all P4 conferences should play 9 conference games or be penalized for playing 8 and Notre Dame should be required to play 10 games vs. P4 opponents. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2023 at 10:09 AM, Charles Fischer said:

As I see it, our primary problem is if Texas wins out.  Both they and Oregon would be conference champions, but the Longhorns resume is better.

Alas, this is probably correct.  

But would it be that much better if Oregon beats UW in Las Vegas (assuming the Beavers don't beat them first)? Alabama may get a rest this weekend playing Chattanooga but it doesn't do much to gild the lily and that's the Ace Texas holds right now.

Fingers crossed.

On 11/16/2023 at 1:09 PM, Charles Fischer said:

And if Bama defeats Georgia in the SEC champ game both would most likely finish 12-1 and Bama would be the SEC champ and have the season's best win.

The B12 has 4 teams ranked this week. 21. K State plays at 25. Kansas on Saturday so one of the Longhorns top 25 wins should go away. 

Oklahoma, at BYU Saturday and then versus TCU, should finish 10-2 and be a big brand opponent for an 11-1 Texas with Texas having the chance to redeem its sole loss. So it will be best for the Ducks if OK St., blown out by UCF last Saturday, but with the conference champ tiebreaker over UT, can win at Houston on Saturday and defeat BYU and take the shine off of the B12 champ game. 

This season like the first playoff in 2014 could stress the Committee but things usually work out in the Committee's favor.

On 11/16/2023 at 10:09 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Both they and Oregon would be conference champions, but the Longhorns resume is better.

The CFP committee has shown already that it thinks OBD are better than TX—the AL win is already baked into their rankings.

OBD will have to beat 2 top-10 teams to win the Pac.

There isn’t even another top-10 team in the B12 for TX to play, let alone beat.

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2023 at 11:09 AM, Charles Fischer said:

At some point when things appear equal, you have to ask yourself who is better. Texas has struggled against Kansas, Kansas State, and will have lost to a three loss Oklahoma if both make it to the Big 12 title game. Oregon has sandblasted everyone, and will have avenged their only loss if both Washington and Oregon win out .

Texas has QB issues with Ewers lingering injury. But yes, Texas did schedule a game at Alabama . The committee obviously feels this is important. How else could they justify having Ohio State at number one the first two weeks? It's the main reason Florida State is ahead of Washington. Florida State beat LSU in their first game. Washington pounded Michigan State on the road. LSU is much better than Michigan State. 

I feel this is the reason the playoff should have been 8 teams all along.  Most years you have this argument, and there were five power conferences heading into 2014. So there was always going to be one left out, even if their champion was worthy. There are eight squads that have a legitimate claim this year.

Georgia

Ohio State

Michigan

Florida State

Washington

Oregon

Texas

Alabama

After that you start getting into squads like Louisville that lost to a two win Pitt.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2023 at 11:16 AM, Jon Joseph said:

For UW to go 13-0 it has to defeat OSU and WSU and win the Pac-12 champ game. As of today, it's odds on for 12-0 or 11-1 UW to play 11-1 Oregon in Las Vegas.

Oregon State Saturday versus Oregon State and on Friday the 24th at OREGON has a chance to muck things up in the Pac-12. If OSU wins both games and UW beats WSU, 11-1 UW, would play the 10-2 Beavers in Las Vegas.

#1 Georgia plays at #20 Tennessee on Saturday; the Vols ranked #20 for some reason have no top-25 wins and lost to 5-5 Florida.

Texas plays at 6-4 Iowa State where the high is expected to be 30 degrees and Texas has lost its 1st string running back for the season.

#5 UW plays at #11 Oregon State. #22 Utah plays at #17 Arizona.

Alabama plays Chattanooga on Saturday, NL, and FSU plays NO. Alabama, NL. 

Other tough SEC games on Saturday: Ole Miss -37.5 vs. UL Monroe; MISS St - 14 vs. SO. Miss; Auburn -23.5 vs. NM St.; Arkansas -29.5 vs. FIU; LSU -31 vs. Georgia St. (will Daniels put up 500+ yards?); and A+M NL, versus Abilene Christian.

Yes, OREGON played a bad Portland State this season but traveling to Tempe to play P5 ASU is far more difficult than playing Chattanooga or NO. Alabama in Autzen.

Come 2026, all P4 conferences should play 9 conference games or be penalized for playing 8 and Notre Dame should be required to play 10 games vs. P4 opponents. 

There is a bias against Washington and Oregon. I would say the west coast, but USC would be top four, probably number one if they were undefeated. Of course they would have a road win against Notre Dame, and wins against top 25 squads Arizona, Washington, Utah, and Oregon.

Moving to the B1G will help Oregon and Washington far more than USC. USC had the world in it's hand's. They wanted more money, exposure, and to leave Oregon behind. As Meatloaf said "Two out of three ain't bad." I don't know if USC will agree.

Perhaps they'll hire Phil Parker as their new defensive coordinator. He's an Ohio guy, but USC is now in the B1G. Maybe he'll bring that Midwestern grit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Predicting what the College Football Playoff rankings will look like after Week 12

There weren’t any major upsets that took place in the world of college football on Saturday, but that doesn’t mean some aren’t going to come down the road.

While no chaos directly took place on Saturday, an injury to Florida State’s QB Jordan Travis has the future unclear for the Seminoles, which could potentially could shake things up in the future.

For now, though, I think that the rankings will look pretty similar to how they did a week ago, though there might be some jumping in the top of the rankings when it comes to Washington or Alabama.

Next week is when things are going to change a lot, as we get a matchup between Michigan and Ohio State, and rivalry games across the nation.

For now, here’s how I expect the CFP rankings to look when they are released on Tuesday...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Predicting what the College Football Playoff rankings will look like after Week 12

Bowl projections: Oregon forces Texas out of College Football Playoff, Florida State in without Jordan Travis

We finally got a shakeup to the College Football Playoff despite no major upsets in Week 12...

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

We finally got a shakeup to the College Football Playoff despite no major upsets in Week 12

ESPN FPI Update: Ducks' odds to make CFP take big jump after win over ASU

As we get into the final two weeks of the college football season, there is a lot of chaos that can potentially take place.

So far, we haven’t seen much of that chaos, other an a devastating injury to Florida State quarterback Jordan Travis that could potentially derail the Seminoles’ undefeated season.

However, there are a ton of ranked matchups between College Football Playoff contenders over the next couple of weeks, so we will undoubtedly see a lot of moving pieces.

That means that there are a lot of possibilities for the Oregon Ducks.

With a win over Oregon State this weekend, they will secure their spot in the Pac-12 Championship Game, getting the rematch with the Washington Huskies that everyone has been hoping for. Whichever team wins that game will almost undoubtedly have a spot in the playoff.

So what are the chances of all that happening?

ESPN’s Football Power Index breaks it all down for us going forward...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks’ odds to make it to the College Football Playoff went up after their win over ASU on Saturday.

• Go Ducks! 1

I believe Utah's loss to AZ hurts the Ducks, but not fatally.  Till now, Utah was's Oregon's best road win and there won't be another until/if they get to Las Vegas.