David Marsh

Is Rodrick Pleasant About to Emerge at Corner?

During the game I heard Pleasasnt's name called during the two point conversion attempt for the Trojans. Pleasant is a FAST corner from the 2023 recruiting class for the Ducks. He has mostly been on the scouting team this year but I have a feeling he is going to burst onto the scene in the next few games.

Against the Trojans Oregon really had to dive into their depth at corner back. Kyree Jackson and Jahlil Florence both went out with injuries, though they look like they are returning soon, and Donte Manning and Trikweze Bridges came in as the next two up. Manning left the game, supposedly with a minor injury as well and Niko Reed took his spot down the stretch. Bridges appeared healthy but was relentless picked on by Caleb Williams and arguably USC's best receiver in Brenden Rice, though it did look like Rice got away with some offensive pass interference as he pushed Bridges out of the way while the ball was in the air, but still.

But Bridges didn't seem injured and the Ducks were hurting down the stretch of this game to ensure USC didn't manage to make a game of it late. USC needed a two point conversion at some point to get in striking distance and they went for it. What was really surprising in all this was that for this two point conversion attempt the Ducks put true freshman Rodrick Pleasant on Rice. The pass wasn't great and it was incomplete but Pleasant kept up with Rice and was position well enough to ensure he couldn't make a play on that ball.

Snag_590ca5b6.thumb.png.12dc05c040dde2411294d8bf62a3dcb9.png

Even if that ball was caught Rice wasn't going to have an easy time getting to the end zone. Not perfect coverage but good enough here.

But talk about faith in a true freshman here putting Pleasant on the Trojan's best receiver at this point in the game. In all Pleasant only played three snaps.

But one little tidbit of information I came across today from the practice reports out there is that Pleasant is practicing in his Ducks jersey and NOT the scout team jersey. Could this mean that Lanning, Lupoi and Hampton are all gearing Pleasant up to take over the second string spot from Bridges? One thing is for certain, Oregon is going to need some lock-down corners in a probable rematch against Washington.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Jackson and Florence with limited reps this week against ASU to ensure they rest up and heal up. So will we see more of Pleasant on Saturday?

Just putting this out there for everyone to keep an eye out for him to see what happens. Oregon has more depth than anyone in the conference and that's the X-factor come November. In past years if Oregon had lost that many corners against this USC team that could have spelled last minute upset but they hung in there and won it.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 2

We have many talented freshman that are gaining in game experience this year. What a huge benefit for our future.

Cornerback is one of the most difficult positions on defense, especially with all the QB talent that is in the PAC 12. It always seems to take one or two years to get young corners up to speed. 

Speaking of speed, Roderick is a two sport athlete that owns the California high school record in the 100 meters with a time of 10.14, and won the state championship with a meet record time of 10.2. He plans on running for our track team as well. 

It will be fun to watch his progress in football and on the track. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The overall talent and depth at cornerback is the best I’ve ever seen at Oregon. 

However, Kyree Jackson is an elite lockdown corner and we’ll need him back and healthy for the stretch run and post-season. 

IMG_7820.jpeg

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Unfortunately, injuries happen.  But injuries to a starter are an opportunity for younger players to 'get their shot' at playing and who knows what that opportunity brings.  Pleasant would be a "pleasant" surprise for Oregon if he can come into the game and make his mark. 

On 11/14/2023 at 9:41 PM, David Marsh said:

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Jackson and Florence with limited reps this week against ASU to ensure they rest up and heal up. So will we see more of Pleasant on Saturday?

I think Jackson and Florence should start and play as needed until Ducks get a comfortable lead. All hands on deck.

I don't think you come in with a game plane of rest at this point under these circumstances. Title on the line.

Lanning has rested these guys all year. This is the payoff. The way Lanning has played his men has been great. 

If Ducks get a comfortable lead and we see Pleasant, it wouldn't surprise me if he balls out. This team seems to be well prepared. 

A ton of guys have made plays for the Ducks this year. Seeing a true freshman make play is not unfamiliar to the 23' Ducks. 

The future is looking good. Life is great for Duck fans. This team is going to be nationally relevant for the foreseeable future.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1