Mic

Kenney D's Praise for the Ducks

Just listened in on an audio on KPNW of a TikTock posting by Kenny Dillingham yesterday about the Oregon Ducks.  He was very complimentary, effusive even, of the Oregon' offense, calling them the best since the Chip Kelly - Marcus Mariota years, maybe better.  Even lots better than last year under his own leadership.  I won't go into all the details but he talked about there being no weaknesses anywhere on the Offense.

Now, I admire and like Kenny very much and O owes a lot to him for getting Dan Lanning's team off and running offensively - giving Will Stein a great base to build on.  But, there was no mention (at least on the audio clip I heard) about the Defense whatsoever.  If I were on the O defensive unit I might take a bit of umbrage with that.

Does Kenny think they're exploitable and he has a plan to do just that?  Does he think they're definitely the "weak link: on this team?  Oh... you might not want to poke this bear 5 days before you have to face them on the field.  No Sir!

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1

He and Dan are very good friends so I would expect that he we would be very effusive in his praise of Oregon.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/15/2023 at 8:49 AM, Augduck said:

He and Dan are very good friends so I would expect that he we would be very effusive in his praise of Oregon.

And very honest - at least in this regard.  Of course, this might all be part of a psychological mind game starting but he shouldn't have left praise for the Defense out.  Might be a slight miscalculation on his behalf.  OR... there was more to the audio I didn't hear?

Edited by Mic

On 11/15/2023 at 8:39 AM, Mic said:

But, there was no mention (at least on the audio clip I heard) about the Defense whatsoever.  If I were on the O defensive unit I might take a bit of umbrage with that.

In another interview Dillingham compared Oregon’s defensive line to Georgia’s last year in terms of physicality and toughness.

That’s pretty high praise. 

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the post, Mic.

Wouldn't it be refreshing, just once, for a coach of an underdog team to dump on the upcoming opponent?

As I recall, last week Dilly went out of his way to pump up the UCLA D and I expect Nick Saban this week to tell the world what a test the Chattanooga Choo-Choo will be for Bama. Same for Norvell at FSU when it comes to the game against No. Alabama.

Dilly is telling the truth about Oregon and hats off to Dilly for giving Will Stein credit but Oregon best not think this will be a roll the ball out on the field and win kind of game. Dilly's play-calling against UCLA was masterful and try the FG at the end of the game in Seattle, ASU likely wins the game.

No Easy Day in this season's Pac-12.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 11/15/2023 at 9:02 AM, OregonDucks said:

In another interview Dillingham compared Oregon’s defensive line to Georgia’s last year in terms of physicality and toughness.

That’s pretty high praise. 

I didn't hear that and I was wondering myself if what I heard might not have been abbreviated.  I had edited the post you quoted just before you posted because I think Kenny would maybe know better than to risk peeving the O Defense.  

There's also the theory that when you think your team might be about to get smoked, you admit before the game they're opponent is great.

Now, I don't know how well Oregon is going to do in Tempe, but I have a good idea and I sure hope I'm right.  But ASU did figure out how to stop Chip's offense.  Oregon had better take good note of that - as I'm sure Dan and Will are.  Sure makes this game more interesting.

It will be interesting to hear his after game comments. I imagine it will be very similar. 

This type of talk is brilliant, and something you hear from shrewd leaders, thinkers. You look good if you struggle against a good opponent, and look even better if you do well.

I never understood how those who put down an opponent ever come away thinking they got the best of the situation, the trash talkers. If they do well, it is expected, and if they don't they look really bad.

This mentality of complementing an opponent isn't innate with most players. I hope Lanning continues to try and get the players to play like gentleman when the trash talking starts. It seems like this is a focus of Lanning and it seems to be taking root, for that I applaud him.

Admit, take the blame when you fail, learn and grow. Act like you have been there when you succeed, and work to get there again. I see these attributes being fostered, and taking hold. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Hayward- you point out something that I have noticed the last two years.   A LOT less trash talking from the DUCKS under Lanning than when Mr. Miami ran the show.  It used to drive me nuts.  But then again I should remember MC was the person who berated Kris Hutson on national TV.  I guess Mario never heard the old moniker 'praise publicly, criticize privately'.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Speaking just for myself, Augduck, I could wish (but never expect it) for all trash talking to go away forever.  

I'm old enough to remember when trash talking which didn't even have a name then, was considered unsportsmanlike behavior and not allowed by coaches or the organizations they worked for.  It's all too common on today's landscape.  Probably got it's impetus from the trash talking NFL, filtering down into our collegiate ranks.

Coach Dillingham's nice comments about the Ducks could be analyzed on a host of different levels but at the base of it I suspect it's just plain truth of observation and a reflection of what his team is about to have to deal with. Nothing more fancy than that.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It makes total sense to compliment your opponent before and after a game. If you demean them, your win or good performance is lessened. If you praise them, your win or good performance is expanded.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2023 at 10:19 AM, Duck 68 said:

It makes total sense to compliment your opponent before and after a game. If you demean them, your win or good performance is lessened. If you praise them, your win or good performance is expanded.

Yes.  But the optimist in me wants to think Kenny Dillingham is genuinely impressed with what the Ducks are doing right now in Lanning's 2nd year and Will Stein's 1st with his own tweaks on the Offense.  From one Offensive guru to another, I think it's a sincere observation and compliment.

I'd rather hear it from him than from just about anyone else, save maybe Chip Kelly.  It's why I posted it.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/15/2023 at 8:39 AM, Mic said:

Just listened in on an audio on KPNW of a TikTock posting by Kenny Dillingham yesterday about the Oregon Ducks.  He was very complimentary, effusive even, of the Oregon' offense, calling them the best since the Chip Kelly - Marcus Mariota years, maybe better.  Even lots better than last year under his own leadership.  I won't go into all the details but he talked about there being no weaknesses anywhere on the Offense.

Now, I admire and like Kenny very much and O owes a lot to him for getting Dan Lanning's team off and running offensively - giving Will Stein a great base to build on.  But, there was no mention (at least on the audio clip I heard) about the Defense whatsoever.  If I were on the O defensive unit I might take a bit of umbrage with that.

Does Kenny think they're exploitable and he has a plan to do just that?  Does he think they're definitely the "weak link: on this team?  Oh... you might not want to poke this bear 5 days before you have to face them on the field.  No Sir!

The DUCKS have given up a ton of yards through air, but that’s primarily due to teams playing catch-up because they are so far behind.

On 11/16/2023 at 1:06 PM, DUCKED said:

The DUCKS have given up a ton of yards through air, but that’s primarily due to teams playing catch-up because they are so far behind.

Kenny only mentioned the performance of the Offense.  

I'm pretty confident he will come up with some pretty creative ways to attack O's defense.  And he has a very legitimate RB in Scattebo to set up the passing game.  I think Oregon will get challenged and will have to be on their toes.  They should also learn some very good lessons - lessons that will serve them well going forward from this game.  O wins, but closer than some think (my guess).  Ah, that Tempe air...