Haywarduck

Recruiting, What It Takes

First off I don't think Taggart was the greatest recruiter, he was a salesman, plain and simple. Much like MariØ, salesman, not a coach. Like John Candy in the clip below, he could sell anything to anyone. He had gold, the Oregon Football Program, and he sold it when he was at Oregon. It wasn't like he had shower curtain rings to sell.

Lanning is a great recruiter and he has a great product. Previously we had poor recruiters, salesman who were just mainly coaches. In this day and age you need to be a salesman.

It is said Saban is a great salesman, and a great coach. You have to be very good at both. 

I really started this post because I wanted to give everyone a good laugh on Friday evening, and tie it into something football. There is nothing better than John Candy to do that.

Edited by Steven A
shade
  • Haha 2

OK! Made me laugh!

That is SKILL.

18 or 19???? I'm buying!

On 11/17/2023 at 4:27 PM, Haywarduck said:

First off I want everyone to get off the Taggart was the greatest recruiter, he was a salesman, plain and simple.

I didn't really think anyone here thought Taggert was a great recruiter.  Every new coach has a few recruits he's been recruiting that he brings in with him but I don't remember any "great" recruiting classes he ever assembled.  He wasn't here long enough to fully unpack his suitcases.

But I get your point and it was fun to see the Candy clip.  The guy was a comic genius in his own way.  Thanks for the laugh.

Not sport related at all…just a continuation of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles…John Candy working with Steve Martin to create one of the most classic comedy scenes in movie history. 

Always a good movie to watch this time of year…

• Haha 2

On 11/17/2023 at 6:05 PM, Mic said:

I didn't really think anyone here thought Taggert was a great recruiter.  Every new coach has a few recruits he's been recruiting that he brings in with him but I don't remember any "great" recruiting classes he ever assembled.  He wasn't here long enough to fully unpack his suitcases.

But I get your point and it was fun to see the Candy clip.  The guy was a comic genius in his own way.  Thanks for the laugh.

Willie dramatically improved Oregon's recruiting (in terms of stars at least) from where it was prior to him taking over. This link gives a refresher on what things were like when he took over, and what he was on pace to do (#5 class in the country).

https://www.si.com/college/2017/10/06/oregon-ducks-football-recruiting-willie-taggart

I love Trains, Planes, and Automobiles. 🙂