Charles Fischer

New Video Ad Popping Up and Annoying You Too?

Trust me--this was not part of my plan on advertising. The company I work with just put them in, and changed the ad placement around without consulting me first. I will be in touch with them on Monday, and things should be fixed soon.  We will NOT have video pop-ups on this site.

So sorry to all,

Charles

P.S. I would like your feedback about the top of the site; it now has two huge spaces for ads at the top when there used to be one.  Seems like more scrolling doesn't it?

I am always trying to find the right blend of generating enough revenue to pay the costs of the two sites, yet not ruining the experience of being on the sites with annoying ads.  Thoughts?

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

YELL YES!

Just another invasion of the wired world imposing on our sanity and rudely doing so.

These pop-up ads are like a person who routinely interrupts your conversation.

No wonder civility and etiquette are going to Hay in a handbasket.

This is not on you Charles. This is on the wired world we live in. A world where self-entitled egoists like Pat McAfee can scream and show off their way to the top. If it aggravates you, well, that's your problem.

Is technology that provides for instant 'knowledge' worth the cost to society? And the tech is still in its infancy.

Edited by Jon Joseph

I've noticed it, but have ignored it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Charles, those pop up ads spoil my day! They are always in the way and sometimes the sound automatically comes on. Also, it is often hard to find where to close them, and when you do close them, they come right back. Get rid of those immediately, please!

• Thumbs Up 2

Ibid. (see above).

• Thumbs Up 1

Annie, you have confirmed what OBD members all already know, you are a far brighter and better person than I.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Very annoying! But, if it brings in site revenue, so be it.

There are definitely websites that use pop up ads that make them virtually unusable. Just touching the screen to scroll should not create chaos for the viewer of an article. 

I have given up on trying to read many articles just because of the advertising pop ups. I make it a point to never buy what is being advertised because of the mental anguish…lol

I don’t mind scrolling. However, I hate being constantly jettisoned to another website if a pop up ad is accidentally touched, and the instability of the website that they create.

• Applause 1

On 11/19/2023 at 10:53 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Charles, those pop up ads spoil my day! They are always in the way and sometimes the sound automatically comes on. Also, it is often hard to find where to close them, and when you do close them, they come right back. Get rid of those immediately, please!

I am certainly going to have them stopped immediately.  But the ad platform people do not arrive at work until Monday morning. 

If I have the site up on a page on the forum....you are right, in that a video starts blaring!

They gotta go, and WILL.

My sincere apologies to all.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Im learnin about the universe 😝

Thank you Charles for trying to find that balance between the necessary revenue generation to keep this wonderful site in operation and not annoying the hell out of the site's users 🙂 

As long as you're talking to the ad folks, I've been having an issue with some of the banner ads in the forum suddenly being very wide, which autofits to my tablet and makes the actual text of the posts very small and difficult to read. I'll try to capture a screenshot next time it happens if that would be helpful. 

We appreciate all that you do to provide a positive fan experience here.