SeattleDuck

Tyler Van Dyke Leaving Mari no O!

Tyler Van Dyke is entering the transfer portal. Who could have predicted a QB would want to leave Mario’s high flying offense.

Edited by Smith72
capitalize titles
  • Haha 3
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seriously?  I wish you had the link.  The season's not even over yet - they get a bowl game.

Were there not some rumors that his parents were very unhappy with Mario?  Thought I read that somewhere.   Not that it matters.

I do find it funny that due to a lack of performance TVD was benched by Cristobal. 

Something that never happened at Oregon when we had under performing quarterbacks and the fans were begging for another quarterback to play. 

Granted they were underperforming due to scheme and coaching and not their actual ability. But still... Remember when the Oregon fanbase had had enough of Brown and wanted Thompson because surely a highly ranked freshman had to be better? 

Nope... But MC seemed more willing to bench TVD. 

Some maybe he has grown as a coach.... Just not in a productive way for the offense. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I am  somewhat dubious that Mario may have grown as a coach.   He is always the smartest man in the room.  Then again maybe he has been humbled a bit.

Our only starting qb who has ever transferred was Tyler Shough, under MariØ. The only qb who underperformed in college relative to his NFL career was Justin, under MariØ. 

QB play defines MariØ!

If that ever changes then maybe MariØ has grown, until we see different outcomes he is the same guy. Not sure Mariø can spell or say humble ;-)!

Compare that to Lanning and the difference this year with how much Nix has run. Lanning learned he didn't need to, want to, have Nix run, and elevated Nix to Heisman status.

• Thumbs Up 1

From a mile away (actually, 3,274.2 miles from Eugene to Miami) you could see this coming.

Mario took the ACC Frosh of the Year and turned him into a mediocre QB who lost his confidence.

What has Mario accomplished to prove that he is a better HC than Manny Diaz? He's a better recruiter but he is not a better coach.

The Sun Bowl should be an exciting matchup of 2 underachieving teams, USC vs. Miami, both playing without the starting QB.

Mr. FishDuck made the call on Mario being bogus early on and he was spot on.

Edited by Jon Joseph

Not trying to be nasty here in anyway so please hear me out and this is totally off topic of Mario's QB hitting the portal but it made me think about something.  Maybe Mario is a better assistant than a head coach.  Nothing wrong with that.  Some people are great individual contributors as opposed to managers in the business world.  

I had an opportunity to meet Mario in 2018.  It was in a social setting ( fund raiser for athletics).  I came away thinking how he did not have the 'it' factor and he frankly was a little surly.  He literally could not wait to get out of the event.  It was almost like he was uncomfortable in a social setting. 

I know in college football  the 'it factor'  that takes on many meanings but there was something about him that just rubbed me wrong.  I  will always support whomever  the coach is (Taggart being the exception for me breaking my rule) but something was just missing there for me.

Fast forward to DL whom I also had the opportunity to meet in a social setting.   Let's just say he gave new meaning to the 'it' factor.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming .......

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 7:37 AM, David Marsh said:

I do find it funny that due to a lack of performance TVD was benched by Cristobal. 

Something that never happened at Oregon when we had under performing quarterbacks and the fans were begging for another quarterback to play. 

Granted they were underperforming due to scheme and coaching and not their actual ability. But still... Remember when the Oregon fanbase had had enough of Brown and wanted Thompson because surely a highly ranked freshman had to be better? 

Nope... But MC seemed more willing to bench TVD. 

Some maybe he has grown as a coach.... Just not in a productive way for the offense. 

Well, at Oregon MC was still winning most games so he wasn't under any pressure to make any changes...he left just before the wheels came off due to all those coaching deficiencies.  At Miami however, he's predictably done worse and is under pressure to do something about it.  Of course benching the QB is his logical course of action since he can never point the finger at himself to identify the true problem.

I would expect to see TVD go to SMU to reunite with the coach who helped him to become a Freshman sensation. 

• Thumbs Up 1