NJDuck

Oregon Moves Up in Penultimate College Football Playoff Rankings

Oregon remains the highest-ranked one-loss team in the country. With a game against one of the four unbeaten teams left, it’s safe to assume Oregon is a win over Washington away from making it into the Playoff.

But the Ducks didn’t just rise because of what others did around them. You have to think the committee was impressed with a 31-7 win over Oregon State in which Oregon thoroughly controlled every phase of the game.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Oregon moved up in the penultimate College Football Playoff rankings.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I’m glad they put Ohio State behind us but between Texas and Alabama.

This  provides more of a buffer Alabama and Texas will have to jump over if Alabama beats Georgia.  

Would they seriously leapfrog the #7 and #8 team over the #5 team after the #5 team beats the #3 team, the #7 team beats the #18 team and the #8 team beat the #1 team? It would seem so absurd. 

Edited by Duckman2
  • Applause 1

Reminder that Texas and Alabama both have a transitive property loss to South Alabama, while Oregon’s only transitive property loss is to Washington. Texas and Alabama also have 3 close wins apiece to Oregon’s 1.

Even if Alabama beats Georgia, Alabama and Texas getting into the playoffs ahead of Oregon would be an absurd joke. 

• Like 1

Assume the following:

Michigan wins.

FSU wins.

Oregon wins.

Texas wins.

Alabama wins.

The final poll is:

#1 Michigan 

#2 FSU

#3 Oregon 

#4 Alabama 

Reason, Texas beat #18 OSU 

Alabama beat #1 UGA 

Texas gets the Fiesta.

Big 12 weak conference. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 4:58 PM, DanLduck said:

Assume the following:

Michigan wins.

FSU wins.

Oregon wins.

Texas wins.

Alabama wins.

The final poll is:

#1 Michigan 

#2 FSU

#3 Oregon 

#4 Alabama 

Dang. Don't tell me that I now have to root for Alabama. I like Oregon to win the whole thing with that lineup. Nope, I rather the Ducks not face the Dawgs but too much risk that they'd let two SEC teams in.

So....

Go Dawgs!

On 11/28/2023 at 4:30 PM, Duckman2 said:

Reminder that Texas and Alabama both have a transitive property loss to South Alabama, while Oregon’s only transitive property loss is to Washington.

I love that “Transitive Property Loss” is a thing now.

As a math geek, it tickles every time I read it.

On 11/28/2023 at 5:05 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Dang. Don't tell me that I now have to root for Alabama. I like Oregon to win the whole thing with that lineup. Nope, I rather the Ducks not face the Dawgs but too much risk that they'd let two SEC teams in.

So....

Go Dawgs!

Alabama winning would be bad for Oregon. If Alabama beats Georgia, both they and Texas (due to the head to head win) might move ahead of Oregon. I think that Oregon would still remain ahead of Alabama and Texas, but it’s not a given. 

If Georgia beats Alabama, there’s no doubt that an Oregon win over UW will get us in the playoffs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep, it looks like Oregon is going to get their chance to not only win the last Pac-12 Crown but to get a shot at the Playoffs, all with one more win.  GO OREGON!

I think Boo's remarks about FSU being a "different" team without Jordan Travis means they are the weakest link in the top 5.

Therefore, if the games go "chalk", Ducks will jump them and they become Bulldog bait.

AND, a traditional Rose Bowl swan song with a Pac 12 champ vs the champion of "one of the two conferences without a math major".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 8:37 PM, Steven A said:

I think Boo's remarks about FSU being a "different" team without Jordan Travis means they are the weakest link in the top 5.

Therefore, if the games go "chalk", Ducks will jump them and they become Bulldog bait.

AND, a traditional Rose Bowl swan song with a Pac 12 champ vs the champion of "one of the two conferences without a math major".

There is some precedent for this. Remember FSU got the #3 seed in 2014, behind 12-1 Alabama and 12-1 Oregon.

And  in 2014 there was always an impression that FSU was really better than how they were actually playing. (Due to the greatness of the 2013 FSU  team the  previous year.) In 2023, there’s really not a lot of reason to think FSU is any better than how they’ve performed. 

We haven’t passed FSU yet, but I wouldn’t rule out that possibility next week. 

Edited by Duckman2