Charles Fischer

What IF....this IS the Nature of This Team--Against Great Foes Too?

It is hard to imagine, because the team does not look good enough on offense to beat many teams...but what IF the nature of this team is "just enough to win" and that also applies to our tougher games as well?  What if they somehow stay in the game with UCLA and win in a fluke...and similar things happen with other games?

It is a low probability, but some teams are like that.  Is this one of those strange teams that does that and can still pull it off?  Can you figure it out?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Mr. FishDuck

It's baffling, but I think that's the situation. Mario hasn't observed anything that needed any adjusting,; had the bye, nothing changed. No Thoroughbred has ever had bigger blinders on than the pair Mario has. His team is No.9, 5-1, what's the problem?

On 10/16/2021 at 2:49 PM, 30Duck said:

No Thoroughbred has ever had bigger blinders on than the pair Mario has. His team is No.9, 5-1, what's the problem?

THAT is the line of the day!  

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

I've been thinking about this and I think the fluke was the Ohio State win.  You can only ride luck for so long before it bites you, last nights game could have easily gone the other way for the ducks if Cal had made it into the end zone on the last drive.  I mean when your defensive game plan is to hand out 10 yards like it's halloween candy till you get to the red zone...

• Thumbs Up 1

Playing just good enough to win is better than just good enough to lose, aka Stanford game.  So, I'm on bored right now.

• Haha 1

Let's put this in perspective.  Iowa lost to Purdue at home 24 to 7.  A lot of upsets this year against high ranking teams.  This is the year for upsets due to super seniors being on a lot of teams.  I am happy Oregon is winning most of their games, not pretty, but winning.  This team has been bitten by a lot of injuries this year.

In that Stanford game, as we all know, Oregon had missing players for this game including our OC and lost in OT.  It did not help in that game with questionable penalties by the refs, plus poor coaching decisions towards the end of regular game time.  But, I thought Oregon was still going to win that game.  Again look what has happen across the landscape in big time upsets. 

I agree with you, if Oregon can win every game for now on, even if it is not pretty, I will be stoked!  Go Ducks.  Love this forum.  Thanks Charles!

Edited by NJDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2021 at 4:16 PM, NJDuck said:

Love this forum.  Thanks Charles!

Thanks for participating and being a part of it.  It has taken off much faster than when we opened it up originally, and I figured the majority posting would be the "regulars" who were here before.  But we have had 68 new people sign up in just 17 days, and I did not expect that.

If everybody jumps in and posts--it means we should have some good discussions in the future as well.  (It would help if the Ducks did well!)

Mr. FishDuck

I dont know, Im just looking for the next Jeff Maehl, John Boyett, Royce Freeman, Casey Matthews, Marcus Mariota, Lagarret Blount, Remenee Alston, DAT--etc etc

Maybe they were over hyped and overrated from the get go and the Ohio St game is the anomaly. Just like the Ohio St game the Ducks have a target on their backs and they bring out the best from their opponents. 

They over achieved in that game and now we're seeing who they really are. 

WOW!  That GIF, had me shocked and then laughing.  I would NEVER want someone to go through that physical pain.  In fact, I have dedicated my life to preventing that, as did my father before me.  But the reality of it is, in life those moments define how we adjust and overcome the impact of being thrown from the horse, into the wall, over the wall to get laid out on the ground.  Hopefully not trampled to death before help arrives and removes us to safety.

On 10/16/2021 at 4:56 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I dont know, Im just looking for the next Jeff Maehl, John Boyett, Royce Freeman, Casey Matthews, Marcus Mariota, Lagarret Blount, Remenee Alston, DAT--etc etc

They are on the team already sitting on the bench, waiting. The youth on this team will be great if allowed to play...and if they don't transfer out.

The problem starts at the top.  Coach Christobal has characterized this team as "physical" when we know that is NOT true.  That's a myopic version of the truth; he's lying by omission to you, the team and himself.  What we saw during the Ohio St. game was a team that is fast, dynamic, creative  and -- yes also -- physical.  But leaders set the target and by just asking for brute force the coaching staff is setting the bar too low.  My hope is that he will continue to recruit well and discover that he's wrong about being just physical, that they're in fact so much more.  I'm also looking for the coaching staff or team leader to step forward and have a Tim Tebow moment where they promise to work hard and give their best the rest of the season.  Whether we win or lose matters less than demanding excellence and I hope the coaches and team aim high.

On 10/16/2021 at 4:56 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I dont know, Im just looking for the next Jeff Maehl,

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it possible to play 8, 1 score conference games in a row and go 11-1?

Today - CU 34 Arizona 0. As I recall, AZ give Oregon a struggle in Autzen?

Charles, if our DNA is "just enough to win!", I'm satisfied with that as long as we keep winning while annually producing the nation's top-five recruiting classes. Coach Cristobal's brought his old-school "Da U!" DNA and upgraded it into "Da Mighty O!" strand. We finally beat the Buckeyes with that philosophy. We embrace that philosophy. That's who we are. Sco Ducks!