FishDuck Article

To Hell With Hollywood, Northwest Schools B1G’s Real Prize

Though the Ducks came up short, the best Pac-12 Championship Game ever featured the two schools who were after thoughts to the B1G in the realignment game...

FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com offers his thoughts this week on the Oregon Ducks and Pac-12 football.

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I wouldn't underestimate DeBoer, he doesn't compete for top recruits, but he does compete on the field. The guy just doesn't lose, and knows how to pick talent, develop talent, not just get talent everyone wants. He is like the anti-MariØ, doesn't seem to care about recruiting, but knows how to run a program. Not sure this is good english, but I hate that I can't not like the guy!

As far as the socal teams they are like trophy wives, they were brought on for all the wrong reasons. The lying and deceit will come back to haunt those programs and the conference. I am on record as stating I think it was a mistake to follow those clowns, but now we have to make the best of it. We got rid of our loyal wives of many years, along with all the grand memories, and have a prettier high maintenance wife now too.

As far as the committee, that was a terrible situation to be in. I agree Georgia would probably win the playoff, but they lost their last game, and now Saban against DeBoer will be must watch tv. Thanks for the article which got me pondering some interesting items!

• Applause 1

(sigh....)

Liberty Bibberty

• Haha 1

On 12/7/2023 at 6:34 AM, Haywarduck said:

I wouldn't underestimate DeBoer, he doesn't compete for top recruits, but he does compete on the field. The guy just doesn't lose, and knows how to pick talent, develop talent, not just get talent everyone wants. He is like the anti-MariØ, doesn't seem to care about recruiting, but knows how to run a program. Not sure this is good english, but I hate that I can't not like the guy!

As far as the socal teams they are like trophy wives, they were brought on for all the wrong reasons. The lying and deceit will come back to haunt those programs and the conference. I am on record as stating I think it was a mistake to follow those clowns, but now we have to make the best of it. We got rid of our loyal wives of many years, along with all the grand memories, and have a prettier high maintenance wife now too.

As far as the committee, that was a terrible situation to be in. I agree Georgia would probably win the playoff, but they lost their last game, and now Saban against DeBoer will be must watch tv. Thanks for the article which got me pondering some interesting items!

Saban vs DeBoer won’t happen unless Alabama beats Michigan and Washington beats Texas.

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2023 at 6:34 AM, Haywarduck said:

Oh for sure, Deboar is the real deal, but I believe there will be seasons where the lack of recruiting will be evident and they will not be a top-tier conference team, while other years they will be top-shelf. I also like him, he seems so laid back and sincere without all the feigned energy and coach speak. 

While I would have preferred the full/real P12 to stay together, but as things unfolded the Ducks really did need to join the Big10 in order to remain a top-tier program on a national level. Otherwise, recruiting would have taken a hit, for sure.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/7/2023 at 6:49 AM, 1Funduck said:

(sigh....)

Liberty Bibberty

Liberty vs Aflac

• Haha 2

On 12/7/2023 at 8:17 AM, DUCKED said:

Saban vs DeBoer won’t happen unless Alabama beats Michigan and Washington beats Texas.

Which has a good chance. I'm still not totally sold on Texas and once again Michigan will lose the semifinal. Of course, the Huskies could totally lay and egg on the big stage, now that would be the most Pac-12 thing for the conference to end on. 

Thanks, Darren, terrific take.

There will be no divisions in the Power 4 next season. The B1G and SEC will not have divisions in 2024. The ACC is staying with 8 conference games. The SEC has indicated that it wants to go to 9 games but wants more money from ESPN to do so. Bama, including the SEC champ game vs. Georgia, played 10 games vs. the P5 in 2023. With 3 cupcake OOC opponents, ditto Michigan. UW and Texas played 11 such games.

9 playoffs to date before the final Final 4. All 9 titles have been won by teams that played 8 conference games including Ohio State (SIGH) in 2014.

At Bama, Saint Nick is 16 - 6 in bowl games and has won 6 titles. Jim Harbaugh is 1- 6 at Michigan with no titles. Harbaugh is 0-2 in playoff games. I like Bama to win it all in what may be Saban's finest coaching effort in 2023. The Michigan D has been great but has played a lot of games vs. crummy offenses. Bama's Milroe will be the best QB that Michigan has played against this season. 

Using 2024 conference affiliations, there are 7 bowl games featuring B1G vs. SEC games this bowl season.

LA results matter less to Fox than market size and in the case of SC, the Blue Blood status. Both Oregon and UW are better programs but the LA market rings the dinner bell.

Mississippi State QB Will Howard who had great success in the Air Raid, is odds-on to transfer to UW. I agree most certainly that DeBoer is not the recruiter that DL is. But he is one heck of a coach with a great track record vs. top-25 opponents.

In 2024, UW opens with Weber State and Eastern Michigan at home and plays Wazzu in Seattle at Lumen Field. 3-0 OOC is almost a certainty.

UW plays Michigan, UCLA, and USC in Seattle. The most difficult road games are at Always a Bridesmaid Never a Bride Penn State and in Autzen. UW does not play Ohio State, odds on to be quarterbacked by Cam Ward, next season. At Iowa could be tough but I do not see Iowa putting up enough points to win the game in Iowa City. At Northwestern, Indiana, and Rutgers should be UW wins.

Oregon's schedule on paper looks to be more difficult than UW's including playing MW champ Boise and OSU in Corvallis OOC, Michigan in Ann Arbor, and Ohio State in Autzen.

Michigan loses a boatload of players this season. Ohio State struggled to beat a mediocre Notre Dame in South Bend, is losing its 2 top WRs, and will be breaking in a new QB. Ohio State also loses top RB TreVeyon Henderson. 

UW at Oregon could decide on one of the two 2024 B1G champ game participants. And, in theory, could provide for a B1G champ game rematch in Indianapolis. 

Fox, CBS, and NBC are getting the Northwest schools on the cheap for the next 6 seasons. $ wise, Fox played it perfectly.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/7/2023 at 11:17 AM, DUCKED said:

Which IMO, will happen.

• Thumbs Up 1