FishDuck Article

Is the College Football Playoff Selection Process Flawed?

Today we welcome back another FishDuck writer, Mike Whitty, Sr.  Mike is a retired attorney who grew up in Coos Bay, Oregon and played 4 years of football at Marshfield High School.

FISHDUCK.COM

The 2023 selection of four teams to compete for the title of College Football National Championship, and the included placement of...
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

YES, it’s obvious if Oregon beat U-dub by 3 points Ohio State or Georgia would have been in too because the powers that be want the SEC & B1G! They couldn’t deny U-dub along with FSU, but they would if they could! It has always been about consolidation, no different that when large corporations gobble up smaller competitors that have a better product!

• Thumbs Up 1

The whole thing is a sham because they aren't consistent. If it were about the best teams, Ohio State would have gotten in the 2015 version. They lost one close game to Michigan State, that team was better but not deserving.

TCU or Cincinnati shouldn't have gotten in. Everyone knew they didn't have the talent to win it all. But the committee chose them because they were deserving. Utah was better than TCU last year. Cincy won a G5 league.

This isn't a playoff, it's an invitational where bias is obvious. The SEC didn't deserve a representative this year. But Sankey ran a very good propaganda ad. Alabama needed a miracle to beat Auburn. They got blown out vy Texas. This was the year the SEC didn't deserve a bid.

But ESPN and Sankey own the committee. Not even the B1G gets that much preferential treatment. It's a bad joke.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Welcome back to OBD forum Mr. Whitty.  Thank you for a well researched and written article.  I love the history.

So far I would say yes the process is flawed because humans are involved, and humans by nature are flawed.

You have presented a thorough case for this jury member to consider.  I'm looking forward to all the future knowledge you help us learn!

This article is extremely well researched, thought through, and written.  I learned a ton from it and thank Mike (Grandpa Duck) for this article and some guest articles in the next month.  Two retired attorneys writing for FishDuck.com back-to-back creates superb discussion and pondering.

Thank you Jon Joseph and Mike Whitty Sr.!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Wow, it isn't everyday I read a Fishduck article filled with history, facts and then laced with such a nuanced opinion. That my friends is good writing! I look forward to the writing hinted at coming soon.

As far as is then process flawed, fair, I completely agree, it is flawed. At the same time teams, programs know what they have to do to get in, and most failed at that.

Even the ones complaining failed and I look forward to better understanding just how in the coming article(s).

Mr Witty's writing elevates this site, and for that I am grateful!

• Thumbs Up 3

The system, 4 spots for 5 P5 champs was flawed from the start.

The only reason it has not been more chaotic is that the Pac-12 has not produced playoff-quality teams for many of the 10 playoff seasons. 

Thank you, Counselor Whitty. IMO the best thing about being a retired attorney is by far, being retired.

When your profession comes in lower than that of used car salesmen it is not a good look.

In a car accident? Please do not call 1- 800- Jon - Jose. Ole!

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Yikes! 1
  • Haha 2

The best 4 teams in pretty much all power ranking formulas (SP+, FPI, etc.) are Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Oregon. So, with the sole exception of Michigan, they aren’t even selecting the best teams like they claim. 

And, no, I’m not saying that Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Oregon should be the 4 team playoff. I’m just saying that the committee actually isn’t following their claimed criteria of selecting the best 4 teams. 

I've said it before and will say again, if ever there was a year to commence the 12-team playoff, this was it. In the future, there will still be bitter arguments about committee decisions, most of which, I'd guess, will center on seedings rather than who the top 6 or 8 teams are. Can't wait. 

The 'Playoffs' have always been a joke. Teams don't get in by what they produce on the field. They get in by popularity contest. Best thing that happened was next years format. At least the 'Conference Champion' is selected with a handful of 'at-large'. Even then, ALL conference champions should be 'selected'. All of them. Doesn't matter if they get blown out. Just win your conference.