jrw

Report: RB Jay Harris to Transfer to Oregon

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Former Northwest Missouri State RB Jay Harris is expected to transfer to the Oregon Ducks, adding a big-time rusher to the...

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

one of the first things to note about the running back is his size. Harris stands at 6-foot-2, 215 pounds, and runs with a physicality that many Duck fans have come to expect from the backfield.

Something to like about this for sure!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

WATCH: New Oregon RB Jay Harris shows size and speed in highlight film

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Running back Jay Harris should fit right in with the Oregon tailback room with his size and speed.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 things to know about the newest Oregon transfer, RB Jay Harris

In 2023, Oregon had a full running back room, with five capable backs on the roster. But for 2024, the Ducks are losing some of that depth with starting RB Bucky Irving heading off to the NFL and freshman Dante Dowdell entering the transfer portal.

To fill some of those holes, the Oregon Ducks have found a new RB, Jay Harris, in the transfer portal. 2024 will be Harris’s third season in college, after playing two seasons for the Northwest Missouri State Bearcats.

Continue below to get to know the Ducks’ newest RB a little better...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Here are 5 things to know about Jay Harris, Oregon’s newest transfer RB from Northwest Missouri State.

• Thumbs Up 1

This one is interesting.  He certainly has the size we need...his stats are gaudy but they're against division II competition so that needs to be taken with a grain of salt.  I couldn't find profiles of him on 247 or Rivals, I wonder what happened and why he didn't get into a Power 5 program out of high school?

Mizzou has one of the best RB’s in the nation in Cody Schrader.  He spent his first 3 years at Truman State. Sometimes guys take a few years to develop. 

• Applause 1

On 12/18/2023 at 11:56 AM, kirklandduck said:

This one is interesting.  He certainly has the size we need...his stats are gaudy but they're against division II competition so that needs to be taken with a grain of salt.  I couldn't find profiles of him on 247 or Rivals, I wonder what happened and why he didn't get into a Power 5 program out of high school?

I did a little research on his background and it may provide some insight into his why he was bypassed during the 2021 recruiting cycle. Timberland High School is in Wentzville, MO, which is on the western edge of the St. Louis urban sprawl. It appears to be a new school in a rapidly growing area.

The schools website said the school now has 1700+ students and has been growing by about 500 each year. That would mean the school could have been well below 1000 students when Harris played there. Being new, if correct, the school may not have been on the recruiters' radar. He was an all-state two-way player, though I don't know at what level of competition within the MO athletic system.

What caught my eye in the NWMS athletics page bio for Harris, it says he played in only four games as a Freshman. Are the redshirt rules the same for Div II players as those in the big leagues, being able to play in four games and maintain four more years of eligibility? If they are, he should have three years to play with his redshirt already burned, rather than two years to play with a redshirt available.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Northwest Missouri State RB Jay Harris Breaks Down Oregon Commitment

Oregon landed a big commitment on Monday morning from Northwest Missouri State running back Jay Harris, who was in Eugene for a visit over the weekend. 

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound back spoke with Ducks Digest about what went into his decision, what's next and much more.

For the St. Louis native, a relationship with running backs coach Carlos Locklyn was near the top of the list for why he chose to become a Duck.

"Coach Lock really made that place feel like just not the experience and not the knowledge that I'm gonna get out of another coach," Harris said of his decision.

"I feel Coach Lock really set that standard and he's gonna do what he says. Oregon, just going up there and visiting, Grandma felt like it was home, I felt like it was home. The people there are very nice. That school felt like home for me as soon as I landed really."...

To access the details in the article, click here.

SI’s interview indicates his move had a lot to do with Carlos. Stats and measurables aside, if CL is bringing him onboard, not too worried about his creds and potential.

A bonus in my mind is his Div II background. Along with a star-sprinkled big name RB would come two seasons worth of a body being beaten on by power 5 defenses.

• Applause 1

Jay Harris runs a lot like Bucky Irving, IMHO. Great balance and runs tough. Not sure he has Bucky’s top-end speed (we’ll see).

Very good pickup. This is one of the things that I like about the transfer portal - the opportunity for a talented player to show what he can do at the highest levels of college football. 

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/18/2023 at 12:21 PM, SiskiyouDuck said:

What caught my eye in the NWMS athletics page bio for Harris, it says he played in only four games as a Freshman.

The NWMS page isn't big on internal consistency. The season summary has him at 4 games played in 2022, but elsewhere it shows him with carries in nine 2022 games, so I think that was likely a full season rather than a redshirt.

Here is the link to his 2022 cumulative stats. You may have to click on “individual” stats and then his name. 

BEARCATSPORTS.COM

The official 2022 Football cumulative statistics for the Northwest Missouri State Bearcats

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2023 at 11:56 AM, kirklandduck said:

This can happen, Cam Ward had zero D-1 offers out of high school, in fact the only offer he had was Incarnate Word.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/18/2023 at 4:10 PM, Vanducky said:

The NWMS page isn't big on internal consistency. The season summary has him at 4 games played in 2022, but elsewhere it shows him with carries in nine 2022 games, so I think that was likely a full season rather than a redshirt.

You're correct. They are different. Thanks for the correction.