Duckster

Walter Nolen ... Do We Really Want This Guy?

I get it ... this guy is an athletic freak who would immediately impact an area of need. But is anyone else getting sick of this game show TP drama these kids are now embracing? "Down to the final TWO!!!"

The Hell? This kid think he's Ohtani? So the Ducks are going to throw a boatload of money at a player they'll have for a year? Because that's his history. 

He transferred three times in High School (almost a 4th with IMG). He comes from a toxic, broken culture at A&M. How would his arrival in Eugene effect the long term, team first, culture you are trying to build (i.e someone already on the roster who is playing well but not making nearly the $$ Nolan will command)? No one is disputing his talent, but history shows he's a gun for hire, pure and simple.

Sure I'm old school on this and probably clinging a bit too tight towards ingrained biases. I definitely see the need for the portal, but I still think you need to limit the number of mercenaries on the roster (Dillon Gabriel), and target players that you think will fit, will grow, and will add something longer than a single year. As I fan, I want to be able to root for a player who truly wants to be here and not someone who's just looking to get paid. A kid that truly embraces what it means to put on the jersey ... a Kayvon Thibodeaux or even a Bucky Irving ... a "Man of Oregon." 

In the end I think Nolen will end up playing for Ole Miss ... and that won't bother me in the least.

On 12/20/2023 at 4:42 PM, Duckster said:

Sure I'm old school on this and probably clinging a bit too tight towards ingrained biases. I definitely see the need for the portal, but I still think you need to limit the number of mercenaries on the roster (Dillon Gabriel), and target players that you think will fit, will grow, and will add something longer than a single year. As I fan, I want to be able to root for a player who truly wants to be here and not someone who's just looking to get paid. A kid that truly embraces what it means to put on the jersey ... a Kayvon Thibodeaux or even a Bucky Irving ... a "Man of Oregon."

If the coaches didnt think he'd fit the culture they wouldn't have offered. Oregon isn't USC, which is a roster of mercenaries. Lanning as a culture and he looks for people who fit it. Obviously he doesn't hit 100% of the time but no one does. 

And the transfer portal created a huge market of its own. Either pay the players on your roster or they'll leave. There is a reason why we have relatively few transfers and right now no starters have jumped in the portal. That's because they're getting paid. 

Also it's social media culture that is all about self promotion. It's the way it is and I figure I'd let them have their fun. I don't have a twitter/X account but a lot of people do. 

Also... Getting to the NFL does have a publicity component. If a team has a choice between two players with similar stats and ability... They'll pick the more famous player. Create more hype and sell more jerseys. 

There are always players who were free agents who weren't drafted but become stars in the NFL because they don't have enough of a profile... But it's always better getting drafted.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don’t think we have to worry about it. He’s down to one school and that’s Ole Miss. Oregon is in the mix because he needs a second hat to lay on the table when he makes his “dramatic” choice. It reminds me of DJU making his choice between Clemson and Oregon. Duck fans knew there was no chance of landing him. Good thing, too. Mario would’ve destroyed his confidence.

DL is going after him hard and heavy. So, I say heck yes Oregon wants him.

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

Walter Nolen, the No. 1 player in the transfer portal, has narrowed things down to two teams looking to make next year's College Football Playoff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jon and David ... I know that Oregon is hot on him and Lanning has been excellent (to date) at adding TP guys that fit his criteria. But I see an impending dark side. If a kid's making 7 figures to play and he carries a history of transfers, he's transcended any illusion of being a student athlete. That's the world and I get it that there is no going back.

But for all intents and purposes the young man is now a professional. What happens if he doesn't play or comport himself like one? Is it now OK to boo (as a fan) someone who isn't fulfilling their potential? Cause that's all part of being a pro, and you damn well better be prepared for the backlash if and when you stumble (see Klay Thompson as current example). 

I'm not sure I'm quite ready for the full on, unfiltered pro culture in College Football.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, we want him because Coach Lanning has decided to recruit him.  No, do not boo Oregon players. For a die hard duck fan these are pretty easy answers.

Duckster, I am not ready for it, but my friend, it is here. Some guys will get NIL paid and dog it. Just like some NFL players outperform their peers. I have no idea how toxic the situation was at A+M. I do the recruits did not play up to the recruiting rankings.

If DL and staff want Nolen. I trust these guys.

I do believe it is a 'problem' in a vacuum. Nolen is odds on to stay in the SEC and be another good portal pickup by Kiffin. Ole Miss gets QB Dart back, misses Bama in 2024, and gets Georgia and Oklahoma at home. The toughest road game is at LSU. I think Kiffen has a lot to sell and will keep Nolen closer to home.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 2

They don't may really big, scary strong and fast too often. This young man is a freak and Lanning defense is made of freaks.

I do agree Lanning will make some mistakes as we move along his learning curve. This may be one of them, if he signs, but I repeat the above.

• Thumbs Up 2

Good points Jon, and I agree, the point is probably moot. Ole Miss is a better fit both culturally and from a proximity standpoint.  Coach 'Lance (Al Davis in his Raiders introductory press conference) has his moments every now and again.

I've taken some "football" trips over the years and the SEC culture is something every CFB fan should  witness first hand. Sometime I'll have to pick your brain on "best venues" in your part of the world. Ole Miss remains on my list as a place of interest.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ole Miss is killing it in the portal all right. Rebs probably have the most favorable schedule among the legit SEC contenders this next year and they are rolling the NIL dice to try to secure a decent seeding in a 12-team playoff. Nolen could help them achieve this objective, but they had better hope that an outsize NIL stipend doesn't mess with team chemistry which I have heard is pretty favorable at present, 

The main Georgia boards have a bunch of coaches and other talent evaluators on it--guys that break down film to back their opinions, good or bad. The buzz there about Nolen has been that he is uber talented but rarely plays to his potential. Lanning and, to a lesser extent Kirby Smart must think they can bring out that desire to excel or they wouldn't have offered. but the guys on the Georgia boards, at least, think this is a very risky recruitment.

• Thumbs Up 1

These days it's not about having another hat on the table for drama; it's about having another team in the auction.  

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/21/2023 at 1:33 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

Ole Miss is killing it in the portal all right. Rebs probably have the most favorable schedule among the legit SEC contenders this next year and they are rolling the NIL dice to try to secure a decent seeding in a 12-team playoff. Nolen could help them achieve this objective, but they had better hope that an outsize NIL stipend doesn't mess with team chemistry which I have heard is pretty favorable at present, 

The main Georgia boards have a bunch of coaches and other talent evaluators on it--guys that break down film to back their opinions, good or bad. The buzz there about Nolen has been that he is uber talented but rarely plays to his potential. Lanning and, to a lesser extent Kirby Smart must think they can bring out that desire to excel or they wouldn't have offered. but the guys on the Georgia boards, at least, think this is a very risky recruitment.

SI ranks Ole Miss SEC SOS, including OOC games, 13 out of 16. Mizzou is 16, UF 1, UGA 6.

Amazing. 2024, 1st regular season game between Bama and UGA since 2008. 16 teams, play 9 conference games! 

Ole Miss OOC schedule, 3 cupcakes and a Wake.

• Go Ducks! 1

If I remember correctly, Bama and Georgia played in the regular season in 2019 or 2020. The last time Bama played in Athens was 2008.

• Thumbs Up 1

Went down a rabbit hole. 

Screenshot_20231222-081132.png.9aa24f154c43894b65725c811c93bef2.png

Nolen signed with Ole Miss.

On 12/24/2023 at 12:04 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Nolen signed with Ole Miss

For now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Former Texas A&M DL Walter Nolen to transfer to Ole Miss over Oregon

The Oregon Ducks were unable to land the best player in the transfer portal, with former Texas A&M DL Walter Nolen announcing on Sunday that he would be transferring to the Ole Miss Rebels.

Last week, Nolen, the No. 1 player in the transfer portal, announced a final two schools, the Ducks and Rebels.

In two seasons with the Aggies, Nolen has played in 22 games and totaled 66 tackles, 11 TFL, 5 sacks, and one forced fumble.

Standing at 6-foot-4, 325 pounds, Nolen instantly comes to Oregon as one of the bigger defensive linemen on the roster...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Former Texas A&M DL Walter Nolen will reportedly transfer to Ole Miss, choosing the Rebels over the Oregon Ducks.