FishDuck Article

Christmas Came Early for Me This Year…

Christmas came early for me this year–thanks to Our Beloved Ducks. That six-game win-streak between those two bad-bookend losses was as good a run as I have experienced in my nearly 50 years of watching Duck football. It reminded me of the first two years of Chip Kelly and The Blurrrr Offense. I do not remember a more dominant run ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Christmas came early for me this year–thanks to Our Beloved Ducks. That six-game win-streak between those two bad-bookend losses was as...
  • Cool 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Don, thank you for your perspective on Our Beloved Ducks.

Back in the 70's, if someone had said some day the Ducks will be National Champs, we would've asked, "What are you smoking?"   Now we're looking at the possibility.

Look at us now!  Multiple Pac-10/Pac-12 championships.  Two times in the Championship game and a Heisman winner.

Back then a season record of 9-3 would've been cause for a parade down Willamette St., across the Ferry St. bridge to Autzen stadium.

I agree with your appreciation of the OBD Forum.  There's no place like it.  Our safe haven to read and discuss about all things Oregon Ducks.  Thank you Mr. FishDuck!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Great article, and perspective! There is a lot to be grateful for this time of year, and one of those is all that we have here. A big thank you to Charles, and may the new year bring even more greatness to our Ducks and a complete meltdown for the dawgs!

• Thumbs Up 2

1976 was the year I saw my first college football game, and it was the last game of the season, against the beavs, of course. Oregon won, and I was hooked on football!

I remember being able to sit almost anywhere--although the "gold seats" were closely guarded. People could use umbrellas. People could smoke anywhere in Autzen (boo!).

No problem finding space to tailgate with the neighbors. Games all started at 1:00 pm and ended by 4:00. The rare win was greatly celebrated--except by those who spent the game sitting on their  hands, never cheering a first down or a touchdown, but always had plenty to yell about after a play yielding a loss of yards. I always wondered why those fellows bothered to attend.

It was great fun, but, of course, winning make the game a whole lot more fun. 🙂

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

My first game was the 1992 season and it was a home opener loss to Hawaii. I was able to put my elbows on the bench behind me my feet up on the one in front of me. Prior to graduating in '96 from Oregon I was able to be a student during that hinge point when the Ducks made it to the Rose bowl. I went to that game and it was after that, as we all know, that Uncle Phil and Nike got involved and things changed forever.

All of this has led to a perspective that we are living in blessed times even if there are some jagged pills to swallow here and there. I am so excited about the current coaching crew, the players the recruits, the transfers, and the positive trajectory. I am so hopeful to be able to visit some of the most storied venues for football now that we are in the Big 10.  Go Ducks! 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1976?  I was living in Corvallis still, (grew up there, and my father was a professor there) and I was loving to hate Oregon.  Then I ended up going to Oregon and turning from the Dark Side...

Don, it was great fun to meet you and the others at the OBD Get-Together and talk about Our Beloved Ducks for hours.  So much fun, and I do look forward to doing that again.  THANKS for your guest articles, as you, Jon Joseph and Mike Whitty came to the rescue when other writers had other life events that prevented them from finishing out the football season.

I so enjoy the perspective of other fellow Greybeards, and your involvement adds to the rich collective wisdom of this community.  Thank you.

Charles and a 2015 FishDuck Student Writer

2015 Job Fair with Pat Pannu_Ashey Young.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

And Christmas came early for new B1G brother Northwestern. 

The Power 2, How Do You Do?

B1G Winners UCLA and NW, and more to come. Cal is an ACC and not a B1G loss.

I believe it was 1970 when I first saw the Ducks play at civic stadium and Bobby Moore ran the ball like I’d never seen live before. I was playing college baseball at the time and had seen a Lot of good athletes but this guy was a step above. A large one in fact. Been a Ducky ever since. If my math is correct that’s over 50 years. Where has the time gone? Whew!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Being a Duck fan for so long has been awesome.  Growing up, as my family were all fans, I remember trying to get a decent radio station  in E. Wa. to listen to Bob Berry and Casanova play Washington, I remember Eric Olsen throwing the first touchdown pass at Autzen, Fouts playing lights out against Air Force and UCLA,, and all the great QBs we've had at Oregon.  The college game is changing, but it's still great entertainment.

It's been fun watching our Ducks come from a nobody in football to now one of the most prominent and successfull teams.  Chip made us "cool" and put us on the map.  Coaching has improved, recruiting as well.  Now we're in the big leagues.  It will be fun to see how it all plays out.  I'm thankful DL is leading the way, and that he has all that young energy to push our program.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2