Charles Fischer

Dreams or Reality? Can the Pac-2 Become a Power-Six Conference? Paid Like It?

I am curious as to what others think about this, as I cannot help but wonder HOW the Cougars and Beavers can add six Mountain West teams, and call it anything but a MW+2?  You have read it in articles, that they actually think they have a shot at becoming a "Power-Six" conference, and a place at the upcoming Playoff as an equal?

Do you think that is plausible?

What about their upcoming media contract? Do you really think it would be anymore than what it would have been as WSU/OSU+MW? I mean, Oregon State playing San Diego State on TV only moved the needle as a respectable OOC opponent for a Pac-12 team.  Not now...  (In fact, I did not watch it when OSU was in the Pac-12)

This feels like a classic, "whistling past the graveyard" by the Beavers, as I cannot imagine a media contract in excess of 10 million per year....do you?

(Yes, I got over their theft of Pac-12 assets when I realized that our departure fee of 3.5 million per year for 10 years is well worth it to receive 27 million more per year than if we had remained in the Pac-12.  It is a good business move, and I am mostly over-it)

You know, Beaver...it isn't going to get any better...

Casey Rogers_Craig Strobeck.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

I do not feel any group of teams they are able to cobble together will garnish an automatic bid to the playoff with the current (next years) conference arrangement.

But, I do feel within a few years (within 10 years) there will be more restructuring of CFB in general. I feel select teams (likely 50-60) from all conferences will be picked for an upper tier league with four divisions/conferences.

I could see OSU/WSU being selected for that. There are BAD teams in all conferences that likely would be left out making room for them. Of course this will only happen if OSU/WSU can stay competitive within that timeframe... which is highly questionable.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing that seems to be a narrative is the OSU fanbase believing they’re calling all the shots once their new conference is formed. They become a singular voting member once it happens, and if they’re complete pricks about how things are initially set up, they may find expansion from 2 more difficult than they think. They really seem to believe that the PAC12 brand will deliver a grant of rights similar to the last offer before things fell apart, delusional.

Not sure what a new name and adding these two clown shows to the MWC brings to the table, they’ll be lucky to get $10m per team and will not be considered P4/P5.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1

On 12/26/2023 at 11:01 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Do you think that is plausible?

Casey Rogers_Craig Strobeck.jpg

If I may, allow me to sum up: No

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

No. There is a Power 2.  A Lesser 2. Notre Dame and everyone else.

The Pac-2 is paying money to the MW for football games, without a chance to compete for a MW title, and is in the WCC for other sports. The WCC is Gonzaga and a bunch of 'Others.'

These 2 will drop further off of the nation's radar and when the money they purloined runs out they will be right down there with San Jose State. The two had one-sixth of the conference voting power when the conference crashed and burned. Anyone remember these 2 making a stink about one bad business decision after the other.

You reap what you sow, especially in the world of capitalism. The marketplace told these two undercapitalized and poor performing entities to get lost. If the 2 dropped football would anyone outside of Pullman and Corvallis notice? 

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 12/26/2023 at 2:05 PM, Jon Joseph said:

You reap what you sow, especially in the world of capitalism.

Reap?  They fit right in!

WSU Training Facility_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

B1G and SEC have gobbled up, or are gobbling up all of the media marketable teams.  There are no high level market football programs currently available to "create" a new PAC-?.  If it was doable, then the PAC would not have disbanded and even added a few "fringe" power5 teams.  NFlite will continue to move college football to a two super conference and everyone else will be "relegated" to lesser leagues.

Relegated?  Hmmm, maybe in ten or so years they might adopt a similar model in college football to allow programs who invest in success to move into the super league and less so programs to delegate to the minors.  

Going to be an interesting decade in college/NFlite football.