FishDuck Article

B1G Bowl Season: Will it be Candy or Coal for the B1G?

Fellow FishDuck.com writer Darren Perkins did a terrific job of covering the Pac-12 2023/24 bowl games. Here’s a take on the seven bowl games that will be contested among seven ‘New B1G’ teams versus seven ‘New SEC‘ teams in the postseason; the final season of the Pac-12. In all, 13 of 18 B1G teams, 72% of the conference, and 11 of ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Fellow FishDuck.com writer Darren Perkins did a terrific job of covering the Pac-12 2023/24 bowl games. Here’s a take on the seven bowl games...
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Jon thanks for your thoughts and analysis of these BIG vs SEC matchups.

I think these games can go in any direction. With opt outs for departures to the NFL or TP departures for more playing time(NIL) the next man up mantra will be in play for these teams......  

After nearly a month off from playing games the coaches who get their teams motivated and ready to play may end up winning.

Lot's to watch as 2023 ends and 2024 dawns. Nothing really compelling for this fan to be excited about.

Other than OBD's........

Go Ducks......

• Thanks 1

Well, the 2024 B1G is off to a pretty good start at 4-0, as Jon pointed out in another thread.  Northwestern was quite the upset team, and even USC came through last night!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

As Charles notes, the New Big is 4-0 to date with the B1G boy games vs. the SEC coming up.

OO update - TN QB Joe Milton will not play vs, Iowa. Maryland QB Taulia Tagovailoa is out vs. Auburn which IMO tilts the outcome in the direction of the Tigers and not the Terps. 

Heisman winner Daniels is sitting out the game vs. Wisconsin but there is an experience and talented back up, Garrett Nussmeier (Gesundheit!) behind Daniels who will start vs. the Badgers.

USC! A heck of a win last night that helped validate the PO Committee leaving FSU out of the Final 4. Louisville was the No. 15 team in the country? The 2nd best team in the ACC? The Trojans speed and athletic ability was obvious. And the SC D guys actually made open field tackles.

Will Howard Who? Shut down the SC Portal QB search? All RS Soph Miller Moss did was go 23/33 for 372 yards and 6 TDs setting a Trojans and Holiday Bowl record on the way to leading Troy to its first bowl win since defeating Penn State in the 2016 Rose Bowl game. 

USC's 2024 schedule is ranked No. 2 in the nation by SP+. Nevertheless, if Riley can get the play out of his D like they played last night, SC will not be an easy out in 2024. Not only Caleb Williams opted out last night. USC was missing 6 other starters, but easily overcame the Louisville -7 odds to win the game. 

To date, the SEC is 0-1 with A+M's loss last night to OK. State. Another loss to a team with a lesser roster and to a team Texas beat up and beat down.

The ACC to date is 3-4. W - Georgia Tech, Duke, Va Tech/ L - Syracuse, UNC, Cal, Louisville. One of ACC SMU and BC will come out with a loss today when they play in the Fenway Bowl. And I'm not certain FSU will have enough players available to field a team against Georgia in the Orange Bowl. 

Go Ducks! Extinguish the Flames! And GO all of Puddles B1G Brothers!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/28/2023 at 9:50 AM, Jon Joseph said:

GO all of Puddles B1G Brothers!

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

A good first quarter for Rutgers vs Mari-no-O.  115 yards of offense vs 5.

On 12/28/2023 at 2:54 PM, AllOregon said:

A good first quarter for Rutgers vs Mari-no-O.  115 yards of offense vs 5.

I'm SHOCKED! In fairness, how do incent guys playing ball in Miami to get fired up about a December game in NYC. 

On 12/28/2023 at 12:20 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I'm SHOCKED! In fairness, how do incent guys playing ball in Miami to get fired up about a December game in NYC. 

Coach culture.

• Thumbs Up 1

5-0! Way to go Rutgers. 1st win ever against Miami for Rutgers and Greg Schiano. 

Chianti and Lasagne on behalf of Tony and Family! (But don't drink or eat too much!)

My opinion, if anyone cares, is that non playoff games in our new era are almost meaningless for calculating the relative strength of conferences. So many teams field squads that bear faint resemblances to the regular season rosters that I am not surprised by anything I see these days (except Northwestern upsetting anyone) . Plus, aggregating teams in their respective leagues the year before they get there (e.g., Washington in the B1G, Cal in the ACC, Texas in the SEC) seems a major stretch for me. Just my $.02. Still, comparisons will be made, meaningless as they may (or may not) be.