Charles Fischer

I Was WRONG About Jackson Shelstad...

The West Linn freshman is someone I thought could come into the lineup and give good relief help this year, and gradually turn into a star.  WRONG.  This guy hit money shots, just cold-hearted ones the other night against USC; you could not have done it better as a senior, IMHO.

He creates turnovers, makes great passes, and is a terrific shooter?  He might be the most important recruit for Dana in years...UCLA today at 1:00 PM on CBS!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

So sweet....

Mr. FishDuck

Oh yeah....he can drive too!

Mr. FishDuck

Shelstad has PP level floor vision and ability to run the offense. A step quicker for sure. 3 pt shot maybe not quite as good but he did bury a couple of beauts against U$C early in that game. 

IMO overall trending as a freshman on par with PP, but he doesn't have the insane level of talent that 2016-17 Final Four team had. This will put JS in a position to have to step up more to shoot and make plays that PP didn't need to given who was around him.

Already loving the chemistry with Evans and can't help but think that growing pains aside, once they get Dante and Cook back this team could make the tournament. 

• Thumbs Up 2

With Brooks, Dorsey, Bell, and Boucher, the Ducks needed very little from Pritchard his freshman year. If Shelstad is this good this early, that’s a wonderful sign. 

I pray that he is as durable as PP.  It would be a breath of fresh air if we could finally put a healthy roster together. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Bizarre. I used to play against West Linn in basketball when they were 2A in the mid 90s. I just played basketball to stay in shape through the winter between football and track seasons. They were good though. I wasn't used to playing against teams that could consistently play above the rim, but they could. But the level they are at now is impressive.

Stud status continued today, vs UCLA.

OBD got a good one!

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't say how impressed I am with Shelstad. I don't know why you would think he wasn't on par with Peyton. Even last year they were saying how much like Peyton he is with his work ethics and skills. He is also not willing to lose with ice in his veins just like Peyton. Evans is also really emerging and played a tremendous game against USC. I am excited to see Mookie Cook start to play and Dante should be back soon.

Has anyone heard about Biddle? I thought he was supposed to be out for the season but the announcers at the end of the game said that he may be back near the end of January. There is no comparison with the teams the last two years. They also had many injuries but they didn't have the attitude of this team. I really like how this team plays and if they can get Dante back, they could be a factor.

The real deal, and may be the guy to bring back the title we won to begin it all.

Agree. Shelstad is such a breath of fresh air with great talent and, by all accounts, a motor and attitude. 

Evans looks like he is giving it his all, too. 

And Dana the Witch Doctor is coaching and acting like this might be his last go-around.  We need to monitor this IMO.  I really feel the world is right when he is on the sidelines.  Losing him would not be optimal. 

Jackson Shelstad is ahead of where Payton Pritchard was at this stage, IMO. 

Pritchard really took his game to the next level his final season, where he was dominant.  

Shelstad has the opportunity to be one of the best basketball players in Oregon history, if he can stay healthy and continue to get better. Like Payton, he is also a winner and wants the ball in his hands at the end of the game. 

I’m really impressed with this year’s Ducks basketball team. If they can get healthy, they have a chance to make some noise in the NCAA tourney.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Another great showing by Shelstad. Evans is looking better each game, and I like how fearless Oquendo plays.

That dude is attacking the basket!

• Thumbs Up 2

One of the things I see from Shelstad is that he is the it guy that this team has been missing since Pritchard went to the NBA. Evans seams to command a lot of respect as well and he stands to make people around him better. 

With those 2 and Cook the future looks bright.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the current college game demands not only a PG who can shoot, but one who is fast.  And I feel the team has not had that sort of explosiveness since PP graduated.  Shelstad is a real catch and he will completely transform the team.  So excited for them!

• Go Ducks! 1

On 1/8/2024 at 12:01 PM, DuckGee said:

I think the current college game demands not only a PG who can shoot, but one who is fast.  And I feel the team has not had that sort of explosiveness since PP graduated.  Shelstad is a real catch and he will completely transform the team.  So excited for them!

Great to have you posting as a new OBD member, WELCOME!

Mr. FishDuck

I think Shelstad (and this team) seems to have that competitive toughness and edge that some of our Duck BB teams of old had with Brooks and company.  Shelstad is a gamer with a confidence you have to have as a point guard.  He is willing (and wants to) take the tough shot when the game is on the line but at the same time is not selfish and keeps his teammates involved.  

This team needs their bigs I believe if they are going to make the tournament and have any success when they get there but I love watching them play.  They have 3 stud freshman that they can build on if they can keep them together for a few years.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes if this team gets their bigs back who knows where things will go. I can't believe that they had 14 three points at WSU. Last year I got so frustrated because they would throw up one brick after another. They are playing with a lot of confidence. I think when you have a good point guard who can get the ball where it needs to go, it just makes the team so much better. Their turnovers are low also. They just need to stop fouling so much. They could have blown out WSU if the fouls had been less.

Possible 1 and done. Sad but true.

On 1/8/2024 at 2:06 PM, Ben H said:

This team needs their bigs I believe if they are going to make the tournament and have any success when they get there but I love watching them play.

I can't believe they have done so well down low. Most the time it's Evans guarding a guy way bigger than him and he's doing well. On the weak side down low you have Couisnard 6'4", Tracy 6'5", or Oquendo 6'4" garding the 4 spot. Lucky all these guys have some beef to them at 220bl + and surprisingly they aren't getting pushed around with some pretty decent rebounding.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is Jackson Shelstad A Generational Point Guard For Oregon Men’s Basketball?

I was watching Oregon MBB at MKA a week and a half ago, against the LA schools. What struck me in particular was the play of Jackson Shelstad, Oregon’s freshman PG.

He was the fastest player on the Ducks, and maybe on the court; made some excellent assists, and can be an assassin when knocking down a bucket.

I thought to myself while watching those games that he looks like the best freshman PG we’ve had since Luke Ridnour.

At least that’s what my eyes were telling me - but is there any substantiation to the eye test?

WWW.ADDICTEDTOQUACK.COM

How does Shelstad compare to another great Oregon freshman, Luke Ridnour?