FishDuck Article

Fiesta Bowl: Will the First Quarter Tell the Tale?

You know what I’m worried about; will the Ducks come out ready to play? It is hard when you are such an overwhelming favorite to have the game-face ready, and we know that Liberty is going to come out with fire in the eyes of these Flames. This is their biggest-game ever, their chance to make a massive mark for ...

FISHDUCK.COM

You know what I’m worried about; will the Ducks come out ready to play? It is hard when you are such an overwhelming favorite to have the...
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Interesting report on the UO's emotional state in Las Vegas. The number of seniors participating suggests that they may be ready for this one. 

As I live in Georgia, I had the opportunity to observe Paul Johnson's tenure at Georgia Tech. His triple option offense gave teams a lot of trouble during the regular season, but Tech had less success in bowl games when their opponents had more time to prepare for it. If DL and his staff are as good as we like to think, perhaps that will be the case here. 

• Thumbs Up 4

If the cameras show Bo's face on the first offensive possession it will signal what type of game it will be. I don't know if anyone else noticed his face on the first possession in the Pac12 championship game? What I saw on his face in that possession was the look of sheer terror--how he used to look when he played for Auburn his 2nd and 3rd year.

That look signaled, to me, that it was going to be a rough night for OBD on offense. As Bo goes so shall OBD.

Let's GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with you Charles.   The first quarter will tell us if the team arrived in Phoenix with the desire to dominate or are just taking it as a business trip.

Before the Colorado trip many of us were concerned if Oregon would respond to this new Prime coached team.  The Buffalos and Prime were getting all the love.

Never fear my Duck buddies,  Coach Lanning had the Ducks ready.  I think Coach Lanning learned a valuable lesson after the championship game.  I trust he will have our Ducks prepared.

Game Day!  Go Ducks!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Interesting observation, Critical. 

I thought the early struggles had more to do with play calls that seemed predictable and inappropriate given the defensive alignment. (Specifically, running into a crowded box, a la Cristobal.) I have assumed that he was not allowed to alter the (bad) play that was called. Of course, I could be wrong on one count or the other. I don't see how the UO could block seven men with six unless the QB is a threat to run. 

Bo played very well later in the game. The TD pass to Ferguson was "Heisman quality," IMHO. That does not mean you are wrong about the first quarter. I have not seen the game on replay, that was only my recollection. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Happy New Year to all OBDF members.......

Charles thanks for the article and the concerns, especially about a possible slow start by the Ducks!

A slow start by Bo and company would only mean 45 points instead of 63 by the Ducks. The Flames will not stop the Ducks O......

A slow start by the Duck D will only make the first half interesting. The Duck D will adjust.....

In the early part of the season the Flames were scoring in the low 30's and in early October Sam Houston held Liberty to 21 points.

Should be plenty of film for DL and staff to view and build a game plan to stop the Liberty O.

The 2 deep roster the Ducks put on the field will be the best D the Flames have played. The Ducks are bigger, stronger and faster.

The Duck D will attack the 3-option and close quicker than any team the Flames have faced. In another article Charles showed some clips of plays run by the Flames O....

The D players in the clips were not attacking! They were waiting to see what was unfolding. That is the hesitation that gives the 3-option an advantage.

There was no disruption by the D. I expect the Duck D to be very disruptive. We should see a few trick plays by the Flames so the Ducks must play their positions and assignments.

This Duck squad is and has been a Top 10 team all season long. This fan expects OBD's to play like it.

GO DUCKS!

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1

I agree it is on the coaches to come out hot too. Jamey Chadwell is much like DeBoer, an up and coming coach most don't fully appreciate. Lanning hasn't passed the DeBoer test, and he now needs to pass the Chadwell test.

The other element the Flames have going for them is they are playing for a higher purpose. A favorite O-lineman passed away earlier in the season and they have been playing like they have 12 men on the field since. 

I agree Oregon has to come out and show the Liberty team our coaches have a game plan that will shut them down and run them over. They don't have advantages, or those perceived advantages will only grow.

I think this is a huge opportunity for Oregon and Dan Lanning. Can they rise up to this massive challenge. There are forces happening we need to shut down quick. If it looks like we are being out coached, or they begin to think they can beat us, it might be too late to come back. First quarter is key!

• Thumbs Up 1

Someone call the cops. There's going to be a murder

On 1/1/2024 at 7:13 AM, Triphibius said:

His triple option offense gave teams a lot of trouble during the regular season, but Tech had less success in bowl games when their opponents had more time to prepare for it.

This.

I felt like Chip's offense had a bit of this problem as well. When teams had weeks to prepare for the pace and reads they seemed to do better against it.

Maybe that was just in my head...but I agree that this applies to dealing with the triple option. It's different from anything Oregon has seen this season, but with weeks to prepare for the various looks and reads, I'm not hugely concerned.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the Ducks came out too cautious against UW on offense. I think the plan today will be quick strikes and force Liberty to keep up.I don't think they will.

• Thumbs Up 2

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson.

Come out fired up and punch the Flames in the mouth.

Thanks for thoughts, Charles.

Go Ducks! Extinguish the Flames!

• Thanks 1