Ktmguy2018

Cole Martin In Transfer Portal...Chooses Arizona State

Dang.  I really liked that kid's play.  He got to play quite a bit as a freshman, makes me wonder if Oregon is bringing in some dudes that would eat into his playing time.

https://www.si.com/college/oregon/recruiting/oregon-football-cornerback-cole-martin-enters-the-transfer-portal

Really a bit wild and unexpected. It will be an interesting follow to see how things turn out.

On paper, unless the spring portal brings in some high profile guys, a guy leaving a lot of rFR snaps as a Duck -- possibly starting reps -- on the table.

I wonder if there is a missing piece that fans, as of now, are unaware? No clue what that would be though.

Edited by AnotherOD

Isn't his dad one of our coaches?

• Thumbs Up 1

RUMOR- he wants to play corner and UO sees him as a safety or nickel. 

Interesting none the less

On 1/2/2024 at 4:57 PM, Steven A said:

Isn't his dad one of our coaches?

Yep, crazy.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he simply didn’t want to play for his dad, anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

From another thread...

Keep in mind that the 85 scholarship number is when fall camp begins, and we will have more leave after Spring Football...whoever is at the bottom of the depth chart of each position, and is not a freshman.

We have two other fast-twitch corners from last year in Daylen Austin, and Rodrick Pleasant, along with two really incredible corners brought in this year. One is the No. 1 JC of the year, and the other (Dakoda Fields) we stole from USC, which made them very butt-hurt.  Oh yeah...we have Jahlil Florence returning too.  They are inexperienced, but one of the most talented corner rooms ever at Oregon!

And he is 6'4" at corner?

image.jpeg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think the snap count for the Fiesta bowl probably is one big indicator of why he is leaving.  4 snaps in a blowout game with a lot of other defensive backs in front of him.  Guys who have been stars in the past don't like to sit.  

• Thumbs Up 3

A recent article about incoming corners is that all are six foot and above--mostly above.  Martin is 5'10"...and Lanning wants length with his DBs, as now we have a 6'4" corner coming in and a 6'5" safety? 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

To expand on the priority to get taller, longer corners...

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Competition for playing time...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Incoming competition at safety...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/2/2024 at 6:08 PM, Charles Fischer said:

A recent article about incoming corners is that all are six foot and above--mostly above.  Martin is 5'10"...and Lanning wants length with his DBs, as now we have a 6'4" corner coming in and a 6'5" safety? 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Roderick Pleasant was 5'9" 180 out of high school. I don't know if he has gotten any taller. Of course elite speed and probable elite jumping ability can help overcome that.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2024 at 5:21 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he simply didn’t want to play for his dad, anymore.

Yeah, I sure never wanted to play on a team coached by my dad back in the day. Of course, my dad knew nothing about football and never had any desire to be a coach. Come to think of it, I was severely lacking in football "skills," so it really didn't matter.

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

Former Oregon DB Cole Martin announces transfer commitment to Arizona State

Just a few hours after former Oregon quarterback Ty Thompson found his new home, a former Oregon secondary member, Cole Martin, found his.

On Friday, Martin announced his transfer to Arizona State, following former Oregon offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham, and moving back near his hometown of Chandler, AZ.

Hayes Fawcett of On3.com was the first to report the news on X (formerly Twitter)...

247SPORTS.COM

Martin becomes the second former Duck to find a new home on Friday.

Is deserting a playoff team for the desert a smart move? Good luck.

I'm closing in on 77 years on this mortal coil and still waiting to get taller.