Charles Fischer

Players Tell Us, 'Lanning's Super-Power'

This is taken from The Athletic, and it is not the entire article.  I would suggest subscribing since they have a dollar a month special, and frankly, it is worth it.

---------------------------------------------------

Late in the season, as morning temperatures in Eugene dipped into the 30s, Lanning would take off his shirt as the Ducks started practice. Just to quiet those who preferred to work inside. And to show the toughness that greatness requires.

“Some days it will be freezing,” linebacker Jeffrey Bassa said. “Guys got a long sleeve on. It’s cold outside. There’s frost on the ground. He’ll pop his shirt right off. You’ll see his tattoos and all that, and he’s out there yelling on the mic. It’s crazy to see.”

(Mr. FishDuck Note: Eugene is not a dry cold; it is the worst, a moist penetrating cold at this time of the year.  What is described above?  Its insane.)

What is Lanning's Super-Power?

From Bo Nix: “He is a critical thinker. He’s very consistent (and) persistent. He goes after the little details harder than the bigger details.”

From special teams/nickels coach Joe Lorig: “Dan is smarter than everybody else. He’s really, really, really smart. He’s just always a step ahead of everybody from a thought process.”

Lanning and Joe Lorig_Screenshot from ABC Sports Video.jpg

Dan Lanning talking to Joe Lorig

From right guard Steven Jones: “Somehow he’s always everywhere that we’re going to be. Like every time we go to practice, he’s out there. By the time we get to the media room, he’s already in there. (He shows up) out of nowhere. Out of thin air.

From safety Evan Williams: “He just never stops going. I feel like his mind and the way he runs, the way he’s wired, he’s always looking for improvements in every little thing he attacks. He’s just finding ways to get better, and it’s really, honestly, motivating.”

After two seasons, Lanning is 22-5, setting a strong foundation, but it’s nothing Oregon hasn’t seen before. This is the price of expectations at a school used to winning. Chip Kelly went 22-4 his first two seasons with the Ducks. Mark Helfrich went 24-4 and Mario Cristobal went 21-6.

About the Move to the B1G:

“I think it’s going to be who wants it the most and who’s willing to work the most for it,” Nix said. “But I know the direction coach Lanning is going. I know the guys in this locker room. I think they’re going to transition really well.”

Bo Nix and Lanning_Screenshot from Pac12 Network Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

This is fantastic @Charles Fischer!

We’ve had a lot of HCs who were “the smartest guy in the room.” None of them would have disrobed at practice in 30-degree weather.

It’s the ultimate team gesture from a leader: “I will do ten times more than what I am asking you to do.”

DL just says and does all the right things. 🏆

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2024 at 6:05 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

We’ve had a lot of HCs who were “the smartest guy in the room.” None of them would have disrobed at practice in 30-degree weather

Would NOT want to see Chip pull that move...

chris-farley-chip-and-dale.gif.dcd58c57b4fdfcc79f7d42d425b108d7.gif

• Haha 8

On 1/2/2024 at 6:05 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

We’ve had a lot of HCs who were “the smartest guy in the room.”

I think where Lanning is exceptional at being the smartest guy in the room is that he will never admit to it and he will never say that he has the answers. 

He hired guys for a reason and that's because he wants their input before he makes a decision. 

The guy is Captain Picard if Picard were a football coach. But Lanning does have a whole lot more hair. 

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 6:39 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Would NOT want to see Chip pull that move...

chris-farley-chip-and-dale.gif.dcd58c57b4fdfcc79f7d42d425b108d7.gif

He could use that as a training aid..."if you don't hustle those last 2 laps then I'M NOT PUTTING MY SHIRT BACK ON!"

• Haha 2

Lanning certainly is smart, but so are a lot of people. The difference is that he seems, for a young guy, to be pretty wise. And there’s a huge difference between smart and wise. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Charles- is this article from a current edition of the The Athletic?

I have been thinking about a subscription for awhile now so was just curious if this is current or from a past edition.

Thanks

On 1/3/2024 at 8:50 AM, Augduck said:

Charles- is this article from a current edition of the The Athletic?

This was from two days ago; they do not actually have an "Oregon" site, but they write about Oregon quite a bit during football season.  I receive emails that show me the articles written.

Mr. FishDuck

The Athletic has a NCAAF site where you can indicate Oregon as a team to follow, if you are a subscriber.