NJDuck

Ducks Finish Tied with Florida State in Final AP Poll of 2023 Season

There are no more games to be played in the 2023 college football season, with the Michigan Wolverines winning the finale against the Washington Huskies, 34-13, to seal the national championship on Monday night.

That means at long last, we have a definitive look at who the best teams in the nation were, with no more games to base opinions off of. While the Oregon Ducks ended just short of a spot in the College Football Playoff, they were able to win their final game of the year and take home the title of Fiesta Bowl champions after dismantling the Liberty Flames in the desert.

Now, with the final Associated Press poll released on Monday night, Dan Lanning and his team land at No. 6 in the nation, tied with the Florida State Seminoles. Here is the top 10:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks finish tied with Florida State in the top 10 of the final Associated Press poll of the 2023 season.

• Thumbs Up 1

The link for the article in the post above does not always work, so here is another one.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The final AP poll of the season places the Ducks 6th, and the Beavers on the outside looking in.

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

🤔 Seems about right.  I'll take it as a win being tied with a one loss Fl. State.  Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Being tied with FSU... I can't decide if that's a complement, or an insult. 

Oh well, the past is the past. Onward! 🦆

Texas at #3 was an eyebrow raiser for me at first, but then I remembered they won at Alabama who took the champ to OT just last week. Etc. Personally I’d put more stock in Alabama’s recent win over Georgia and tie with Michigan and have them #3, but it doesn’t really matter. 

How much would the final PO Committee rankings vary if we had a 12-team PO in 2023/24? Using the final PO Ct. rankings.

FSU without its starting QB is 13-0, not good enough for the Final 4, but better than No. 6 Georgia, No. 7. Ohio State, and No. 8 Oregon? FSU as the No. 5 seed and with the varsity showing up, would have easily dispatched No.12 seed Liberty (but would this be SMU and not Liberty?) in the 1st Round in Tallahassee and moved on to play No. 4 Alabama in the second round. 

To reach the 12-team champ game in 2023/24, and capture a 3-Pete, Georgia would have to play 17 games. The last 5 vs. No. 4 Bama, and if the top seeds held serve before playing Georgia, No. 11 Ole Miss, No. 3 Texas, No. 2. Washington, and No. 1. Michigan. WOW!

Oregon? 17 games. No. 2. Washington, No. 9. Mizzou, No. 1. Michigan, and No. 4 Alabama, and win these, and Puddles could play UGA in the ATL in the champ game. 

You best have a deep, talented roster and avoid the injury bug. 

On to next year's B1G season! (BTW, in addition to QB Howard from K-State, tOSU just added RB Jenkins from Ole Miss. The Columbus NIL $ is flowing)

On 1/9/2024 at 2:46 PM, Krsmqn said:

Being tied with FSU... I can't decide if that's a complement, or an insult. 

Oh well, the past is the past. Onward! 🦆

Krsmqn,

Just be thankful that FSU stepped up to play the former 2-time Natl Champ Georgia when Georgia had something to prove. FSU's 63-3 loss to

Georgia wipes away the sting of the Ducks' 49-3 loss two years before. One never knows, but I don't think we ever lose to anyone with an end score like that,

again. 

It just seemed like every yahoo on sports TV mentioned that result during the 2022 playing year. Sensitive? No team and the fans of that team ever want to lose 49-3 on national TV in a season opener. Now, most fans can say their team did not play Georgia and lose 63-3. Who lost by that horrible score? Florida State!

Thanks! KCDuck1

Is there any doubt at all as to the outcome of a late season game pitting FSU against U of O?

Bo & Co could have payed them in Tallahassee and won by more than 17 points!  But yeah they tied us for #6.

• Thumbs Up 2

Agree.  Oregon favored by double digits.