Duckley Palace

So If Harbaugh Leaves…

Any guess as to who the Wolverines look to hire to replace him? They must have some idea, unless they just roll out everything to screw with the Buckeyes by hiring Urban Meyer. My guess is Campbell from Iowa State, or one of the Kansas schools head coaches.

Perhaps Pete Carroll? The Big-10 is going to be a horse of a different color next year. Ohio State is close to hiring away the athletic director at Texas A&M. My guess is that move makes them more likely to move on from Day after this year, if he doesn't beat Michigan, or win the National Title.

The people at Ohio State are so insane, that he may be on the hot seat if he wins the National Title, but loses to Michigan. I grew up there, I have a lot of family that are Buckeyes. They are insane when it comes to that game. Something I can't equate to any Oregon rival. 

No official news on Harbaugh.  If you have some--give us the link, but at this moment--there is none.  Now I get it--there are eight openings in the NFL, and he is the most desired coach, but you write as if it is a foregone conclusion, and we deal in facts when making announcements.

WWW.NFL.COM

The Chargers are likely to speak with Michigan's Jim Harbaugh next week about a potential NFL return, while there is split interest in the Raiders camp between Harbaugh and Antonio Pierce --...

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

Jonathan Smith?

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Harbaugh has reportedly indicated he could leave Michigan to take over in L.A.

In the article link I posted^, the Chargers and Raiders have open interest. Harbaugh was offered a ten year deal at over 100 million with Michigan, the caveat being he no longer accepts NFL interviews. He hasn't signed it.

Nothing concrete, but the bread crumbs lead to an assumption. The Chargers need to satisfy the Rooney clause before anything can become final. My guess is that will take place this week. With Belichick being available, this is one of the wildest off seasons in some time. 

On 1/15/2024 at 10:33 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Jonathan Smith?

That would be hilarious. With what's happened, I don't discredit anything. That includes a cloned Woody Hayes.

He Gone! I think that Michigan gives OC Sherron Moore who was undefeated as a pinch hitter coach the gig. How many Michigan assistant coaches have defeated That Team Down South?

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it is Harbaugh is gone, what now. I hope the move is best for Justin Herbert, and could care less about Michigan.

The real winner may be Day, he might win another game against Michigan and save his job.

I am just sincerely glad we don't have to go through all of this. We have solid coaches for our Basketball and Football programs. Go Ducks Basketball!

On 1/15/2024 at 11:39 PM, Jon Joseph said:

He Gone! I think that Michigan gives OC Sherron Moore who was undefeated as a pinch hitter coach the gig. How many Michigan assistant coaches have defeated That Team Down South?

Moore would be an excellent choice. He managed the game extremely well in Harbaughs absence.

And those awesome players we got with Taggart came because they wanted to play for the first African American coach to win a Natty. Moore would be in the best position by far to do it, so I think he would be able to improve recruiting.

If not Moore, maybe Drinkwitz a little bit south, who is doing amazing things at Missouri.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/15/2024 at 11:39 PM, Jon Joseph said:

If Harbaugh goes, and I think he does, I agree they will promote Moore.

• Thumbs Up 1

The coaching carousel is very interesting but how many of these old players will exhaust their eligibility.

Some of the schools should or could have run thru the COVID players depending on red shirts.

This could have a bearing on weather coaches might leave their present situation or stay and deal with the present day of free agency in college football. 

Money however can be a big motivator for some. I’m sure JH has all the money he needs but dealing with college football as a head coach might be the determining factor.

I believe this might be the reason Nick doesn’t want to work that hard any more.

These are crazy days for sure.

I think Moore is the front runner in the likely scenario right now. Being the interim is different than the full time man, as Day found out. But Lanning was an assistant under Kirby. Kirby was an assistant under Saban.

Dabo was a wide receiver coach I think. Drinkowitz just signed a huge extension. It's a little late in the game, even mighty Bama has to go with their third option(Yes I believe Lanning was number one, Norvell was two). Deboer isn't a great recruiter, I don't think he will recruit number one classes just because he's at Bama either.

If you don't believe me, look at where Ohio State was during the Tressell era. Look at Florida under the Sharkman, or Mullen. Look at Oregon under Chip, even Helfrich. Lanning is a masterful recruiter, a young energetic coach that has dominated everyone outside Washington. He fits the SEC mold.

So Michigan might do what Notre Dame did, they promoted Freeman. They will follow in what Ohio State did with Day. I was shocked when both those programs hired guys I knew little about. Moore deserves a shot, even if he cried like a baby after that Penn State game.

Edited by Duckley Palace

@Duckley Palace

I saw an article on what Michigan might do with Moore and they cited ND as an example.  

It’s kind of a double bind when you think of it.  Take Freeman.  Popular with the players but unproven as a coach.  The jury is still out on him (think of the game against OSU where they had 10 men on D for *the* critical play of the game not once but twice and after a time out.  Yikes!)

UM has spent years building to this point and while there will be a ton of turnover of the roster, the program is at its apex.  So, do you take a risk with Moore because he’s popular with the players or do you go elsewhere, perhaps taking a run at KU’s coach?

On the horns of a dilemma as it were.  

And if Harbaugh doesn’t leave this year it’s only a matter of time until he does.  How many consecutive years can you interview for NFL jobs and not make it abundantly clear you are simply waiting for the right job?

And the elephant in the room is the NCAA.  Jim knows they're on his heels big time.

On 1/17/2024 at 8:44 AM, CalBear95 said:

@Duckley Palace

I saw an article on what Michigan might do with Moore and they cited ND as an example.  

It’s kind of a double bind when you think of it.  Take Freeman.  Popular with the players but unproven as a coach.  The jury is still out on him (think of the game against OSU where they had 10 men on D for *the* critical play of the game not once but twice and after a time out.  Yikes!)

UM has spent years building to this point and while there will be a ton of turnover of the roster, the program is at its apex.  So, do you take a risk with Moore because he’s popular with the players or do you go elsewhere, perhaps taking a run at KU’s coach?

On the horns of a dilemma as it were.  

And if Harbaugh doesn’t leave this year it’s only a matter of time until he does.  How many consecutive years can you interview for NFL jobs and not make it abundantly clear you are simply waiting for the right job?

College football has changed so much from just ten years ago. Remember when the Jimbo Fisher deal was a shocker? Michigan was a program that looked down at programs like Ohio State, USC, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Florida, Oregon etc.

They preached about how they had ethics, and wouldn't dare cheat. After all it wasn't like they had a major cheating scandal in the 90's on the hard court. I guess getting boat raced every year changed their thinking. What sanctions are they going to face? They all celebrated Ohio State getting hammered due to tattoos in 2010. They have more to lose if they lose this past season.

I think the fact Harbaugh has a clause demand in his upcoming contract giving him immunity, speaks loudly. Michigan is going to a very uncertain future, a young first year coach could be stained forever if he crumbles under the weight. Sadly he may become the sacrificial lamb.

On 1/17/2024 at 8:49 AM, Augduck said:

And the elephant in the room is the NCAA.  Jim knows they're on his heels big time.

Past three off seasons he's been taking interviews. All three were his best teams, and that isn't just because he's an "NFL guy". Look at the timeline of Carroll going to the Seahawks.