Annie

The Survey for Possible Upgrades at Autzen

Did anyone get/do the survey? It had questions about seating, such as how much you'd be willing to pay per ticket (not sure if they meant a single-game ticket or season ticket) for upgrades being anything from wider seats with cup holders to private patios with tables with umbrellas, and price increases anywhere from $250 to $3,000 per ticket? Boy, I'm hoping this is for 20 years into the future, so I won't have to think about it. 😄

Yeah Annie I filled it out, most of the options were way more than I'm willing to pay.  We're on the north end and restrooms/concessions are pretty bad.  As I responded, I don't feel like we should have to pay extra for facilities comparable to the south end.

I guess we all know (or at least suspect) that prices are going up again at some point, I just hope long-time rank and file season ticket holders don't get priced out.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Thumbs Up 1

Took survey.

I would pay a premium for upgraded facilities in the $250 to $300 per ticket range for an upgraded experience. But, all I would expect would be seat backs, and a little extra leg space for that price. However, I also realize that additional less expensive seating is also needed.

I would donate more money annually if I felt the project was an overall enhancement and equitable upgrade for premium and more affordable ticket pricing.

The club and other more private game day experiences are more expensive than I want to pay. Those spaces are definitely needed for any upgrade to be worthwhile. 

An upgrade on the north side is inevitable. Concessions, and restrooms on that side are terrible and in need of a remodel. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/19/2024 at 10:51 AM, Drake said:

An upgrade on the north side is inevitable. Concessions, and restrooms on that side are terrible and in need of a remodel. 

I'm on the south side, so concessions and bathrooms are much improved from before the remodel. I would like hot water in the restrooms, though I guess that's too much to ask. Also, there used to be speakers in the restroom so you wouldn't miss any of the game, but that is gone. And while once in a while there seems to be heat in the restroom, it's not too often.

After going to Allegiant Stadium for the Pac-12 Championship, it was an eye opener regarding how much Autzen could do for the fan experience.

That place was around $2 Billion to complete and I am by no means saying Oregon should try to build a stadium like that. 

BUT, the concession opportunities, the restroom facilities, even fan movement during halftime at Autzen could certainly use upgrades/improvement.  I am sure you all have encountered that one group of people who decide to swim upstream through the crowd at halftime....

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/19/2024 at 10:51 AM, Drake said:

Took survey.

I would pay a premium for upgraded facilities in the $250 to $300 per ticket range for an upgraded experience. But, all I would expect would be seat backs, and a little extra leg space for that price. However, I also realize that additional less expensive seating is also needed.

I would donate more money annually if I felt the project was an overall enhancement and equitable upgrade for premium and more affordable ticket pricing.

The club and other more private game day experiences are more expensive than I want to pay. Those spaces are definitely needed for any upgrade to be worthwhile. 

I agree, a reasonable increase would be acceptable to me, but $1000-$3000 per ticket for some of these premiums?  Not happening.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's inevitable Autzen will be upgraded all the way around, including enlarging the North side.  Especially due to joining the Big Ten and a possible home game during the playoffs.

Big Ten fans travel well.  I can see the possibility of expanding.

Oregon in planning stages of possible Autzen Stadium expansion

WWW.SPORTSBUSINESSJOURNAL.COM

The Oregon Ducks are making the move to the Big Ten and now the athletic department is in the planning stages for renovating and increasing capacity to Autzen Stadiums north side.

Expanding north side of Autzen Stadium ‘on our radar’ for Oregon Ducks

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Autzen is the fifth-largest football stadium in the Pac-12, but it will be the 13th-largest in the 18-team Big Ten.

I had tickets on the south side from when the stadium opened, first through my Dad, a substantial donor, then on my own starting in about 1985.  Prices kept increasing until we paid about $2,000 a ticket base fee plus the per game price.  We had pleasant older people for several rows in front of us who remained seated unless there was a major third or fourth down play.  Then alcohol sales began and within three or four years, probably about 2010, the environment in our section, south side, 35 yard line, two rows below the entry level, changed to where going to the game was not fun.  People standing up in lower rows making it necessary for us to do the up and down exercise most every play.  Dealing with drunks that security ignored, night games.  For me, it was all too much.  

Granted, I am an old wind breaker with a low tolerance level for misbehavior.

Now I watch from the comfort of my recliner.  A friend gave me two tickets a couple of years ago on the northeast 5 yard line, on the aisle.  Three rows ahead a complete drunk insisted on standing on his bench seat, totally blocking our view.  Even though he was spilling beer on the people in front of him, his also drunk companions thought he was comic relief and kept supplying him more beer.  We left before halftime and since I live in northern Eugene a mile from Costco, we we able to get home for the start of the third quarter.

I looked forward to attending games at Autzen from the time it opened all year long  for 45 years.  I will never go back.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't understand people who stand all the time. They can't see any better, and they block the people behind them. And from my experience, those people just stand, like fence posts, not cheering on third or fourth downs.

Maybe there should be a section for people who want to stand for the whole game, and that would be the only place they'd be allowed to do that. 😉

On 1/19/2024 at 1:03 PM, Annie said:

Maybe there should be a section for people who want to stand for the whole game, and that would be the only place they'd be allowed to do that. 😉

The student section. 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/19/2024 at 1:03 PM, Annie said:

I don't understand people who stand all the time. They can't see any better, and they block the people behind them. 

I had season tickets for 20 years.  Now I go to a couple of games a year.

I like to stand.  It's really hard on my back and hips to sit on the bench seating for 3+ hours.  And as a larger person (6'4"), there is often not enough leg room to sit comfortably and I have to fight for hip space when I am sitting.  If there is a stadium seat in front of me, forget about it.   Sitting is no longer a reasonable option.

And I can no doubt see better.

That being said, I am conscious of those around me and try and make friends and ask where I can stand to hopefully not obstruct their view too much.

That's my experience, anyway.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

There is a core of the fan base which believes when they are standing that it somehow transmits a karma wavelink to players on the field.  It is somewhat akin to those who wear lucky socks, lucky shirt, lucky hat, lucky underwear, etc.   Of course it is b.s., but they believe it.

I don't mind the standing when it is a key defensive play and standing helps project a deep throaty growl to disrupt an opponent.  But some just never sit down and in my opinion if that is their desire they should buy tickets in the highest rows so they minimize the disrupted view for others.

We are all fortunate we have a progrum which is impacted by standing fans these days, rather than the program of the not so distant past when there was often less than 15,000 fans in the stadium and if you didn't like conditions at your seat you just got up and moved to somewhere else.

On 1/19/2024 at 1:57 PM, Autzen Magic said:

I had season tickets for 20 years.  Now I go to a couple of games a year.

I like to stand.  It's really hard on my back and hips to sit on the bench seating for 3+ hours.  And as a larger person (6'4"), there is often not enough leg room to sit comfortably and I have to fight for hip space when I am sitting.  If there is a stadium seat in front of me, forget about it.   Sitting is no longer a reasonable option.

And I can no doubt see better.

That being said, I am conscious of those around me and try and make friends and ask where I can stand to hopefully not obstruct their view too much.

That's my experience, anyway.

“ Not obstruct the view too much.”

For what we’re paying for season tickets, I don’t want my view obstructed at all.

On 1/19/2024 at 1:57 PM, Autzen Magic said:

It's the opposite for me--my back hurts after standing for a while. My late husband had ataxia in his legs and couldn't stand for more than about 30 seconds at a time. He could walk, slowly, but standing was much more difficult. Different problems for different folks.