NJDuck

Jedd Fisch Explains if Washington is Where He Sees Himself Long-Term

When Washington hired Jedd Fisch away from Arizona, some asked if this was the tippy top for the new Huskies leader.

With Washington’s move to the Big Ten, there isn’t much more room to go up. That’s how Fisch put it at least. Conference realignment essentially changed the definition of what’s a destination job.

So with that in mind, Fisch gave an interesting answer.

“Well, I think that’s always a problem right? You can’t be right, you can’t be wrong, whatever you say. I know that comment is always gonna be made. Is it a destination job,” Fisch said. “I would answer it this way. The Big Ten, the SEC, right now is who’s leading the football pathways. The college football landscape is about getting to the CFP. There’s 12 teams that are going to compete every year starting next year in the college football playoffs.” 

Fisch looked at recent history and how it projects at a place like Washington.

“If you look at what teams traditionally compete, it’s about the same 12 or 14 teams,” Fisch said. “The University of Washington is one of those 12 or 14 teams. That’s why we coach, we coach to be able to take a seat at that table and to be able to give yourself a chance every single year with resources beyond belief.”

Will Rogers exits transfer portal, will stay at Washington

WWW.ESPN.COM

Quarterback Will Rogers, who entered the transfer portal after Kalen DeBoer left for Alabama, has informed Washington coach Jedd Fisch that he will remain at Washington for the 2024 season.

Report reveals Jim Harbaugh’s potential coaching staff with Los Angeles Chargers

WWW.ON3.COM

Aaron Wilson revealed what JIM Harbaugh's coaching staff could look like if he becomes the Los Angeles Chargers' next head coach.

I'm not a huge Harbaugh fan at the college level, but he's a good pro coach and did well with SF years ago. Probably the best prospect out there for a JH led offense. 

I think the guy makes a great point, make your destination a place they don't want to leave. The dawgs haven't just had guys leave, they made guys quit coaching. 

Oregon has had guys leave for their dream destination. Jedd Fisch went to school at Florida, he is gone as soon as that job is open. Worst case scenario he is fired because he doesn't meet the standards. Best case scenario he leaves like most coaches do at Mountlake.

The other aspect with Fisch is he has a bigger history in the NFL. He has two draws, a better college job, and the NFL. 

I hope they have to fire him, but more than likely this guy is gone as the soon as the grass is greener at multiple destinations. Fisch is going to want to leave sooner, rather than later. Montlake isn't a destination Fisch ever envisioned himself at, other than now banking some big checks until the next great job.

The dawg fanbase better realize Fisch is there for one reason........ and that isn't because their destination is a place no none wants to leave.

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

One, at least he’s honest (and given what he said at his UA intro press conference I suppose any other answer than the one he gave would be “yeah, sure Bub”)

I also think his perspective is an interesting one as it relates to competing for the NC.  There *are* 12-14 programs that are always in the mix and in many ways benefit from perception bias (e.g., Notre Dame) even if only at the margins.  Once you are in that club, other than moving to another program in the club, why not stay?

That isn’t to say UW is part of that club nor is it meant to exclude a sincere desire to rebuild a program that was once in the club but has fallen on hard times (like Florida).  

I don’t know that UW is in that club.  I don’t even know if the Ducks are for that matter (at their current trajectory they will be soon if they aren’t already). 

What I do know, and what Fisch says, is that by virtue of being in the SEC or the B1G, if you aren’t in the group of 12-14 you are at least on a platform that makes it a lot easier to get into the PFC (vs the ACC or B12). 

Short thought long, it’s an interesting way to frame the issue. 

Edited by CalBear95

On 1/24/2024 at 12:46 PM, CalBear95 said:

Once you are in that club, other than moving to another program in the club, why not stay?

Resources... NIL in particular and how much a school has available to aid in recruiting (flights and such). 

I think Oregon is in an expanded playoff club of 12-14 teams because the amount of Oregon teams since 2014 that would have made a 12 team playoff is ... a lot. Washington in that same time frame would also have a lot of teams that would qualify. 2015 (maybe but a good chance), 2019, 2020, and 2021 the Ducks would have made it. 2021 was an unmitigated disaster towards the end with Cristobal's leaving. 2022 Oregon would have made it without an injury to Nix ... without a Nix injury Oregon probably would have made the 4 team playoff. 

Even before 2014 Oregon would have been a regular. 2010 (BCS Championship game already), 2011 (Pac-12 Champs), 2012 (top 10 team), 2013 (2 loss team on the bubble but decent shot of making it into a 12 team playoff) 

But I don't think Washington has the NIL programs surrounding it that makes it as good of a job as Florida or many SEC or B1G schools. Namely, Washington's success was built on Chris Petersen's tenure, even last years team! A large bulk of Washington's personnel were Petersen recruits and sure DeBoer brought in some key transfers to help fill out the roster but the bulk of the offensive line, and defense were Petersen or Lake guys. 

They're gone now... so the question is whether or not they can replenish the roster. A big red flag for the outgoing staff is that Washington didn't recruit a single notable player from the State of Washington according to Rivals! 

Does Washington belong in that 12-14 team group? Fisch has a chance to insist that they do going forward but they quickly could fall by the wayside again. 

• Great post! 1

First of all it's a stupid question, as you'll never get a real answer.

"So Jedd, I know I asked DeBoer this question. He said this was his dream job, and would remain loyal to this place.  But I think that was a lie because it would be stupid to tell recruits this is a stepping stone job. But are you gonna remain loyal to this place?" 😀

Fisch being the honest guy he is. "Oh no!! If the Florida job comes open, I'm going back to my alma mater. I graduated from there in '98, I worked under Spurrier as a grad assistant you know. Plus you seen the talent in that state!! I'm guessing I'll be here for a year or two. I need to continue winning so they'll hire me."

"A big part of that will be my ability to recruit. So I'm hoping my up-front answer here won't dissuade recruits, boosters, or NIL businesses from joining me here. I need them you know."🤑

• Applause 2

On 1/24/2024 at 2:49 PM, Duckley Palace said:

First of all it's a stupid question, as you'll never get a real answer.

"So Jedd, I know I asked DeBoer this question. He said this was his dream job, and would remain loyal to this place.  But I think that was a lie because it would be stupid to tell recruits this is a stepping stone job. But are you gonna remain loyal to this place?" 😀

Fisch being the honest guy he is. "Oh no!! If the Florida job comes open, I'm going back to my alma mater. I graduated from there in '98, I worked under Spurrier as a grad assistant you know. Plus you seen the talent in that state!! I'm guessing I'll be here for a year or two. I need to continue winning so they'll hire me."

"A big part of that will be my ability to recruit. So I'm hoping my up-front answer here won't dissuade recruits, boosters, or NIL businesses from joining me here. I need them you know."🤑

And the dawgs could care less, they needed their best shot at winning. They have to know he is gone as soon the next best seat is open and somebody calls. 

The whole dawg name for the program is a misnomer. It should the the Washington cats. Their coaches, and players are about as faithful as a cat. Whoever has the best meal and a warm fire is where their home is. I wouldn't want to be any part of that program!

On 1/24/2024 at 6:39 PM, Haywarduck said:

And the dawgs could care less, they needed their best shot at winning. They have to know he is gone as soon the next best seat is open and somebody calls. 

The whole dawg name for the program is a misnomer. It should the the Washington cats. Their coaches, and players are about as faithful as a cat. Whoever has the best meal and a warm fire is where their home is. I wouldn't want to be any part of that program!

Many are trying to soothe themselves by saying DeBoer had a fluke season. What's funny is they also say Lanning was never a target. So DeBoer is all smoke and mirrors, yet Alabama only wanted him? Not the guy that wins double digit games, and recruits at an elite level with SEC ties?

Not about the X and Os or the jimmy and joes it’s about the zeros.

• Thumbs Up 1