FishDuck Article

2024/25 12-Team College Football Playoff Musings

This is dedicated to our OBD Georgia fan friends. It’s a far better forum with you guys on board, and Mr. FishDuck took time from his fun on 50 spins to agree with how we have learned so much from our SEC friends. I. A Dawg’s Journey  Using Playoff (PO) Committee final 2023/24 rankings, a five conference champions, four top-seeded ...

FISHDUCK.COM

This is dedicated to our OBD Georgia fan friends. It’s a far better forum with you guys on board, and Mr. FishDuck took time from his fun on 50 spins...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

One factor no one seems to care about is the grueling schedules the blue blood programs will face down the stretch. 

The amount of injuries to these programs might have more effect on the out comes of this tournament than any other factor.

Guess the point I’m trying to make here is if you’re not deep with talent and extremely lucky not to get your best players hurt you will not be standing tall at the end and let’s make sure we make as much money off these kids as we can before we beat them up.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great Scot, John, I'm ready to abandon my Kool-aid for a giant bag of popcorn awaiting a GA-OR Final!  GO DUCKDAWGS!  (Or is that DAWGDUCKS?)

Thanks for the fine article.

Edited by Mudslide
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Welcome to NFL-Lite.  In the current format a non-bye team will play 16-17 games (depending upon number of regular season games scheduled...yeah let's drop Hawaii next year!) to be playing in the championship game.  

Only teams that are DEEP in their rosters will be able to get there.  Also prepare yourself for "roster management" with top players being "rested" for a week or two based on minor injuries.  Gotta have your "studs" ready to go by "rivalry week" and into the conference championship games and playoffs.

Oregon football is ahead of the curve regarding this and I see nothing but "stacking" quality players, who Will see playing time behind the starters, to help weather the grind that each college/NFL-lite season will present to the teams.

A good example of this will be the Ducks inaugural season in the B1G.  That stretch of 8 games between bye weeks IS going to be brutal and we should get a glimpse of how the coaching staff will adapt to it.

Hopefully adapt to the point of a National Championship Game appearance (and first football Natty?).

Go Ducksters!

• Applause 1

On 1/30/2024 at 11:02 AM, MicroBurst61 said:

Welcome to NFL-Lite.  In the current format a non-bye team will play 16-17 games (depending upon number of regular season games scheduled...yeah let's drop Hawaii next year!) to be playing in the championship game.  

Only teams that are DEEP in their rosters will be able to get there.  Also prepare yourself for "roster management" with top players being "rested" for a week or two based on minor injuries.  Gotta have your "studs" ready to go by "rivalry week" and into the conference championship games and playoffs.

Oregon football is ahead of the curve regarding this and I see nothing but "stacking" quality players, who Will see playing time behind the starters, to help weather the grind that each college/NFL-lite season will present to the teams.

A good example of this will be the Ducks inaugural season in the B1G.  That stretch of 8 games between bye weeks IS going to be brutal and we should get a glimpse of how the coaching staff will adapt to it.

Hopefully adapt to the point of a National Championship Game appearance (and first football Natty?).

Go Ducksters!

Great take and thoughts. A team will have to be deep, lucky, and good to go all the way.

With additional PO games, I believe we will see fewer opt-outs. At least I hope so. It will be important to rotate as many players as possible during the season but this strategy will have to be judged against doing all that is possible to be a top 8 seed with either a 1st Round Bye (a true 'BYE' as you will move ahead in a tournament without playing an opponent; not an Idle or Off Week) or a 1st Round home game. 

This is NFL Lite, no doubt. I expect the PO will be more NFL-like in 2026 with a 16-team field, no 1st round byes, injury insurance provided by the PO puhbahs, and players sharing in the PO revenues. I also think we will see all teams playing on what is now 'Week 0', one idle week, half the teams on week 6 and the other half on week 7 of the regular season, and the champ game built into the final regular season games with other conference opponents matching up according to where they stand after the season's regular penultimate weekend. I also believe we will see uniformity in the number of conference games played by each conference. 

One thing I am very interested to see in 2024/25 is how moving deeper into the NFL playoffs and playing the semifinals and final on weeknights will affect viewership. Ditto, playing a quarter-final game on New Year's Eve. 

Great comment, thank you. 

When CFB went from 2 to 4, you knew it was a matter of when and not if for further PO expansion. 

• Great post! 1

Jon, this is a GREAT article to best illustrate the murder's-row of games the Dawgs would have to play.  We have a tough schedule too, but not like theirs or Alabama's next year.

This is going to be life in a Super-Conference, and we all have to get used to it.

Epic Games Ahead!

Love this view_Screenshot from ESPN Video.jpg

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

Hmmm ... I wonder if we have seen the end of college football undefeated seasons.  Perhaps a rare outlier will exist.  But (for a lot of reasons, e.g. injuries, season length, expanded competition, excess travel, etc.) these super-conferences are going to be mighty tough to wade through with zero losses ... and THEN there is the 12-team playoff.  Hmmm ...

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I am cautious about making any firm predictions for my Dawgs given their regular season schedule with three really tough SEC road games Bama, Texas, and Ole Miss, a neutral site with Clemson and Jon's anticipated playoff schedule should they successfully navigate the regular season. But if the teams with the deepest rosters are advantaged (they are IMO), the Dawgs are about as well-positioned in this regard as anyone.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

No one should be writing off Kirby and his Dawgs in 2024. Not only does Georgia have many great players back, UGA finished #1 in recruiting in 2024, and filled the very few holes it did have from the portal. 

Tough road games but Georgia put up 52 points on Ole Miss in 2023 and surrendered 17 points. Tailgating in The Grove in Oxford is going to change this? Saint Nick has left the building. Texas lost last season to OK and UW and a lot of quality players have gone pro. I'll take Carson Beck over Ewers.

UGA will be preseason AP Poll ranked #1 and for good reason.

• Thanks 1