Babyjesus615

Chip Kelly Leaving UCLA For OC Job At Ohio State!

On 2/10/2024 at 1:32 PM, CalBear95 said:

A few unrelated things/thoughts…

First, for those hating on LA, with the kind of money these coaches make it can be a great place to live.  I grew up there and detest the place but I’m also keenly aware of what kind of lifestyle that money can buy and why some would find it appealing 

Second, Chip was a little like Billy Beane in terms of innovation which is why they had success at first.  What he did at Oregon was incredibly disruptive and gave the Ducks a huge edge.  Billy Beane was an early pioneer of analytics which, like Kelly, gave him a massive advantage to help offset the small market (read: cheap) philosophy of the owner.  

Once everyone caught up to them that advantage disappeared.  No doubt Chip is an offensive whiz but he no longer has the benefit of a disruptive system.  He’s good of course but isn’t always better than really good DCs.

Barring some massive new innovation like he had at Oregon, isn’t ever going to dominate like he once did when facing a team with relatively equal talent.  That’s a large part of why he struggled schematically in the pros where talent gaps are far less pronounced and the quality of your scheme can have a massive impact

So, Kelly should see a lot of success at OSU against most teams but less so with their peers.  He’s definitely an upgrade at at OC but I don’t think he’s going to be this massive buzz saw that makes other teams’ defensive schemes obsolete. 

Good call on the (Las Vegas) A's Billy Beane who had to be pleased with being played by Brad Pitt in Moneyball. 

On 2/9/2024 at 1:00 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Puzzling.

Loved Chip for that moment in time at UO, but he hasn’t exactly been putting up big numbers since his return to college, and it’s not like the PAC has been particularly good on D the last decade.

I really don’t understand this from a recruiting perspective, seems like this hurts tOSU on recruiting no matter how it is spun. The OC connection with recruits is critical.

CK will once again be able to concentrate on leading an offense. No recruiting. No dealing with donors. No doing anything that he is bad at... wasting his time.

Chip has plenty of money so he doesn´t really need any more.

I think what he may be worried about is his legacy. He changed college football forever at Oregon and almost won a national championship with 3 star talent. 

He has been a bust ever since. On this forum, someone said about Chip after he return to college and couldn´t win anything.... "I haven't seen anyone lose this much on TV since Hamilton Burger."

Is that what Chip wants to be remembered as???

Being able to concentrate on just the offense at one of the best schools in the country with one of the best rosters in the country, Chip could win multiple national championships before he retires. 

That's the way to be remembered. One of the best offensive minds ever to coach.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 2/10/2024 at 11:21 AM, Jon Sousa said:

CK will once again be able to concentrate on leading an offense. No recruiting. No dealing with donors. No doing anything that he is bad at... wasting his time.

Chip has plenty of money so he doesn´t really need any more.

I think what he may be worried about is his legacy. He changed college football forever at Oregon and almost won a national championship with 3 star talent. 

He has been a bust ever since. On this forum, someone said about Chip after he return to college and couldn´t win anything.... "I haven't seen anyone lose this much on TV since Hamilton Burger."

Is that what Chip wants to be remembered as???

Being able to concentrate on just the offense at one of the best schools in the country with one of the best rosters in the country, Chip could win multiple national championships before he retires. 

That's the way to be remembered. One of the best offensive minds ever to coach.

I was more initially puzzled as to why tOSU hired him. I get why Chip would do it if the NFL wasn't interested. Loved what he did with us, but I think it was a brief aligning of the stars that he took full advantage of.

Preparation met opportunity.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 2/10/2024 at 11:21 AM, Jon Sousa said:

CK will once again be able to concentrate on leading an offense. No recruiting

I'm sure he'll be recruiting still. No top team recruits itself and no top team can afford to have a member of staff not be an active recruiter. 

But I'm sure part of Chip's arrangement is that he'd be doing less recruiting. 

I'm also sure that he'll only be at OSU for a couple years regardless as he'll use it as a place to leverage his credentials for an NFL OC position. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/10/2024 at 1:32 PM, CalBear95 said:

A few unrelated things/thoughts…

First, for those hating on LA, with the kind of money these coaches make it can be a great place to live.  I grew up there and detest the place but I’m also keenly aware of what kind of lifestyle that money can buy and why some would find it appealing 

Second, Chip was a little like Billy Beane in terms of innovation which is why they had success at first.  What he did at Oregon was incredibly disruptive and gave the Ducks a huge edge.  Billy Beane was an early pioneer of analytics which, like Kelly, gave him a massive advantage to help offset the small market (read: cheap) philosophy of the owner.  

Once everyone caught up to them that advantage disappeared.  No doubt Chip is an offensive whiz but he no longer has the benefit of a disruptive system.  He’s good of course but isn’t always better than really good DCs.

Barring some massive new innovation like he had at Oregon, isn’t ever going to dominate like he once did when facing a team with relatively equal talent.  That’s a large part of why he struggled schematically in the pros where talent gaps are far less pronounced and the quality of your scheme can have a massive impact

So, Kelly should see a lot of success at OSU against most teams but less so with their peers.  He’s definitely an upgrade at at OC but I don’t think he’s going to be this massive buzz saw that makes other teams’ defensive schemes obsolete. 

Good call on the (Las Vegas) A's Billy Beane who had to be pleased with being played by Brad Pitt in Moneyball. 

UCLA football. Chip Kelly leaves UCLA a football 'toxic waste dump.' It's been a waste dump since 1998.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/chip-kelly-college-football-ucla-bruins-selfish-bill-plaschke-ohio-state

College Football News notes that Chip will have lots of top-grade 'toys' to play with.

https://collegefootballnews.com/news/chip-kelly-leaving-ucla-to-be-ohio-state-offensive-coordinator-why-you-should-care-cfn-take-02-09-2024

I have no evidence this is true, but I know it is…

CK is a wicked bowler and is moving to Columbus to transition to the PBA.

You heard it here first…

• Haha 1

People with alleged connections to tOSU football seem to be pretty convinced the '24 season will be Day's last in Columbus.  He supposedly wants to go to the NFL and one could well assume if he does Chip will be right there with him.

• Thanks 1

Big Ten defensive coordinator linked to UCLA head coaching job

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Tony White is reportedly a candidate for UCLA's head coaching job.

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2024 at 11:25 AM, NJDuck said:

Big Ten defensive coordinator linked to UCLA head coaching job

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Tony White is reportedly a candidate for UCLA's head coaching job.

Seems like the only realistic option for UCLA is to pick up someone who's never been an HC before and wants their next step in their career.  The majority of established HCs won't want to join a football program that's financially crippled and has weak NIL support.

Good on him. I will always remember how he changed the game. TOP was meaningless as a metric. Defensive teams were flopping around like goldfish out of water to get injury timeouts. Chips offense was a beautiful thing to behold. Much like the forward pass, it changed the game.