NJDuck

Explaining Why Oregon Will Always Remain a Big-Name Brand in College Football

“Oregon is such a unique program,” Russo told Staples. “I use that word like I think I think definitionally correct, right? I don’t think Oregon has another true comp in that it was a program for years and years with zero — like Oregon had no history. … They just didn’t have a whole lot of nationally significant victories and success on a national level. And then all of a sudden they become a rocket ship, where they are now a national program that plays for big national championships. Not just championships but in big, national things, right? 

"I think that's happened now long enough that they have established essentially we're looking at 30 years of this at Oregon....We have an entire generation or so of college football fans that have grown up with Oregon being a big thing.  So I think that lasts.  There's a tail on that nd that will linger on for probably another 20 or 30 years, even if Oregon were to hit the skids a bit."

• Applause 1

Yep—the ‘94/‘95 Rose Bowl was 30 yrs ago this season.

• Thumbs Up 1

B1G indeed. And by going B1G the money will come in to further support the brand.

Fantastic marketing to have the Oregon brand this well-known and among the top brands in college athletics. 

So happy that Puddles caught the last B1G flight out.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 2

I remember going to that "first" Rose Bowl, not the first ever, or first in my lifetime as I was 7 when they lost in 1958.  But this was the first one since I became a Duck in 1968.

I told my wife this is a one-in-a-lifetime-situation so I drove down I-5 alone on New Year's eve without a ticket or place to stay. 

Got to the "Duck headquarters" hotel and in the lobby was a sign with a couple of ticket for sale, nailed one at face value.

Walking back to my car I saw a former roommate and his wife, bingo a floor to sleep on.

Years later, that once-in-a thing happened again ('10), and again ('12), and again ('15) and again ('20).  After 3 more "lifetimes" I admit I did skip '20.  I'm 2 - 2 in person, oldest daughter 1 - 0 and wife 1 - 0.  I'll make sure to take a lady relative to all future once-in-a-lifetime-events.

A few years ago I met a DB from the '95 RB team.  He said they had scouted Penn St. and when they saw the first formation, they "knew" what play was coming.  Opps, Kejuan Carter goes 83 yds.  Turns out that was the first time all year that they ran that particular play from that formation.

Also evident on the play was the lack of "live" tackling for over a month.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Oregon football is a combination of what Loyola Marymount and UNLV where in basketball. They were exciting, innovative and had players who the nation related to along with their programs.

I don't see Oregon football as standing on its own just because of their history. I think MariØ football almost killed it, but he took advantage of the kids who saw what was done when Oregon was exciting and innovative.

The thing Lanning has done is reignited the excitement for Oregon football. The secret sauce, that it is becoming evident Lanning understands, is the speed element. Oregon has to have speed if it is going to be explosive, innovative and exciting, that is the Oregon difference.

We now have to win it all, something UNLV, nor Loyola did. If we don't then we could just become a footnote in college football history, much like the two programs I mentioned became in basketball. 

I don't think we will just be footnote, we are going to put a big footprint of college football

Unknown-2.jpeg

UNLV did win the National Championship in 1990.

When DAT went 91 yds in the Rose Bowl that went a long way in cleansing my pallet of that Carter run.

I still remember the 58 Rose Bowl close loss to Ohio State if I remember correctly. That was the day I became an Oregon Ducks fan.

I have a story about the K. Carter 83 yarder in the 95 Rose Bowl game. While touring the back garage man cave of the house I bought in Nevada, the former owner (a PSU grad) and my realtor, a Duck through and through, got into a conversation On the wall was a mounted photo of Carter at the beginning of his run. My realtor buddy said, "On oh...I remember this play and it still gives me heartburn 20 years later." I remembered the play as well  but with less gastric consequence.

On 3/10/2024 at 10:30 PM, HDuck said:

When DAT went 91 yds in the Rose Bowl that went a long way in cleansing my pallet of that Carter run.

DAT Rose Bowl AmazingMomentsPh FP.jpg

Mr. FishDuck