FishDuck Article

Chip Back to What He Likes Best

I admit that I was wrong.  I have been saying for a couple of years that after Chip Kelly leaves UCLA (after being fired or “asked” to resign) he would either become a head coach in a lower division like his former school New Hampshire, or, if he was able to put his ego aside, become an OC in the ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck talks about Chip Kelly doing what he does best as an offensive coordinator.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I think Chip Kelly was the luckiest guy in college football, much like MariØ, Slick and a few assistants. They road the backs of guys who really put in the hard work, Bellotti and Brooks, and built a program they took advantage of.

I give CK more credit than the others, but he was at the right place, at the right time. That place, that time, for him have passed, and he is just continuing to riding the fumes left over from that ride.

I don't have much good to say about CK going forward so I will leave my comments to the above. I do agree he had the potential to quietly be a good NFL OC, or small college HC, but that isn't who he is.

Sorry...NOT SOLD, for a couple of reasons.

1. When I did my Analysis videos of his offense at Oregon, the emphasis was to do the No-Huddle to RUN the ball better.  The Spread Offense to RUN the ball better, and now he is going to Ohio State where they have had sophisticated passing offenses over the recent years?  Can he coach that?

At Oregon...our only small weakness on offense under him was on third and long, because we were not as skilled a Drop-Back passing team as others.  Chip's primary passing attack was play-action off the run threat, and that is not enough these days--as evidenced at his time at UCLA.

2. No matter what is said about "less" recruiting?  Baloney.  The OC is critical in QB and WR recruiting; Will Stein has killed it with his high school QB AND Portal QB recruiting in just being here a year.  Is Chip going to be able to attract QBs to tOSU with his track record?

I am grateful to have this OC....

Will Stein_Screenshot from ESPN Video.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/11/2024 at 8:56 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Sorry...NOT SOLD, for a couple of reasons.

1. When I did my Analysis videos of his offense at Oregon, the emphasis was to do the No-Huddle to RUN the ball better.  The Spread Offense to RUN the ball better, and now he is going to Ohio State where they have had sophisticated passing offenses over the recent years?  Can he coach that?

At Oregon...our only small weakness on offense under him was on third and long, because we were not as skilled a Drop-Back passing team as others.  Chip's primary passing attack was play-action off the run threat, and that is not enough these days--as evidenced at his time at UCLA.

2. No matter what is said about "less" recruiting?  Baloney.  The OC is critical in QB and WR recruiting; Will Stein has killed it with his high school QB AND Portal QB recruiting in just being here a year.  Is Chip going to be able to attract QBs to tOSU with his track record?

I am grateful to have this OC....

Will Stein_Screenshot from ESPN Video.jpg

Oh I'm not predicting here whether he will be successful or not. And, sure, he'll be recruiting, but he can focus more on his side of the ball and the ingredients that he wants while not being weighed down with head coaching obligations. He can be the chef without having to run the restaurant. I'm sure he'll be more happy and motivated to focus on QB's and WR's than linebackers. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/11/2024 at 8:37 AM, Haywarduck said:

I think Chip Kelly was the luckiest guy in college football, much like MariØ, Slick and a few assistants. They road the backs of guys who really put in the hard work, Bellotti and Brooks, and built a program they took advantage of.

I give CK more credit than the others, but he was at the right place, at the right time. That place, that time, for him have passed, and he is just continuing to riding the fumes left over from that ride.

I don't have much good to say about CK going forward so I will leave my comments to the above. I do agree he had the potential to quietly be a good NFL OC, or small college HC, but that isn't who he is.

I think a good analogy is that he created a very successful startup company but wasn't good at running the company once it got big. Heck, I remember studying that stuff at the U of O biz school in the 90s. Hey, I did learn something afterall!!!

• Thumbs Up 3

Thank you, Darren. Always great to read your takes. 

Before delving into your article I wonder if OBD fans know that both Chip and Ryan Day were born and raised in Manchester, NH. Former Florida coach Dan Mullen is also a Granite State guy. Three 'Boston-Irish' guys with basically the same upbringing and with little tolerance for the negative. Recall Day calling out Granny Holtz last season. And Chip, unless he is working for ESPN, is not a warm and fuzzy media guy. Although he seems to have lightened up with the move to Columbus. 

[OT - Chip played high school hockey in Manchester and his line held the NH record for total points, goals, and assists, for decades.]

I think Chip to Columbus is serendipitous for Chip, Day, and Ohio State. Chip likes to run the football. Day after 3 consecutive losses to That Team Up North knows that the Buckeyes have to be more physical on offense. The hiring of Jim Knowles from OK State two seasons ago to be the DC has paid dividends for Day. Ohio State had one of the best Ds in the nation last season and all of the top draft-eligible starters on D are back. Plus, Day added all SEC CB, Caleb Downs, from the portal. I think Chip could have the same impact on offense that Knowles has had on the defense. 

Chip will have a dual threat playing QB, Will Howard the All B12 2nd team QB in 2023. (Behind our man Dillon but ahead of Texas' Quinn Ewers.) The tOSU Blue Chip Roster features two excellent RBs in Henderson and Judkins who transferred in from Ole Miss. The WRs even without Marvin Harrison Jr., will be elite and a 4* TE is on the roster waiting to replace Cade Stover, one of this season's top TEs in the NFL draft. 

The OL has been an issue for tOSU; good but not great. This could be the only weak link on the entire Buckeyes roster in 2024, as so noted below. 

Ohio State averaged 31 points a game in 2023 with a good but not great fit at QB. McCord had tough duty following Justin Fields and CJ Stroud. I expect, especially with a 'lightweight schedule' that Ohio State will exceed this average by quite a bit in 2024. Kelly and the O have the luxury of beginning the season with three home games vs. Akron, W. Michigan, and Marshall. Three G5 teams that all finished with losing records. Akron and W. MI. were not bowl eligible and Marshall lost its bowl game to finish 6-7. 

Before the trip to Eugene on 10/12, Ohio State plays at Michigan State and home vs. Iowa. Close to a lock to be 5-0 when Ohio State plays Oregon. The Ducks will also be favored in the first five games setting up a B1G Battle of the Os in Autzen. 

I would have preferred for O'Brien to stay in Columbus and for Chip to stay at UCLA. Chip will have lots of shiny new toys to play with on offense in Columbus. UCLA with DTR at QB, finished 3rd in the nation in 2022 in total offense. I do not think Will Howard is as good as DTR but he will be able to be both a pass and run threat. 

A happy Chipper = a tough out.

WWW.ELEVENWARRIORS.COM

A Cotton Bowl collapse calls for every aspect of Ohio State's offensive line to come under the microscope entering the 2024 offseason.
Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/11/2024 at 9:52 AM, Darren Perkins said:

I think a good analogy is that he created a very successful startup company but wasn't good at running the company once it got big. Heck, I remember studying that stuff at the U of O biz school in the 90s. Hey, I did learn something afterall!!!

Or he left the startup and tried to run a couple public corporations and went on to define the Peter principle.

The sad thing is that startup might have become something special under Chip. Much like when Jobs left Apple, actually was run off, it instead floundered.

Rather than Jobs coming back, we upgraded and are now looking to realize the promise of that once amazing startup.

Great analogy, and thanks for letting me run with that!

I agree with Charles, Chip isn't what he was at Oregon and I think more will start to understand this after his time at Columbus is over.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Proof will be in the pudding, we’re all really guessing.

I personally think Chip caught lightning in a bottle at the UO and the moment has passed. I also think Day might be creating a bit of an echo chamber that won’t help tOSU evolve…but they do have a LOT of talent.

This will be a ton of fun to watch.

The hiring of CK did not push tOSU into the National Championship spotlight. They were already a favorite before the hire. Therefore, Day and Kelly will be under scrutiny, and pressure, to produce that championship. 

The part that I like….

Oregon is on a collision course with them, and can impact that outcome. 

btw…I also am of the opinion that the college football world has caught up to “CK’s genius.”

On 3/11/2024 at 10:52 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Thank you, Darren. Always great to read your takes. 

Before delving into your article I wonder if OBD fans know that both Chip and Ryan Day were born and raised in Manchester, NH. Former Florida coach Dan Mullen is also a Granite State guy. Three 'Boston-Irish' guys with basically the same upbringing and with little tolerance for the negative. Recall Day calling out Granny Holtz last season. And Chip, unless he is working for ESPN, is not a warm and fuzzy media guy. Although he seems to have lightened up with the move to Columbus. 

[OT - Chip played high school hockey in Manchester and his line held the NH record for total points, goals, and assists, for decades.]

I think Chip to Columbus is serendipitous for Chip, Day, and Ohio State. Chip likes to run the football. Day after 3 consecutive losses to That Team Up North knows that the Buckeyes have to be more physical on offense. The hiring of Jim Knowles from OK State two seasons ago to be the DC has paid dividends for Day. Ohio State had one of the best Ds in the nation last season and all of the top draft-eligible starters on D are back. Plus, Day added all SEC CB, Caleb Downs, from the portal. I think Chip could have the same impact on offense that Knowles has had on the defense. 

Chip will have a dual threat playing QB, Will Howard the All B12 2nd team QB in 2023. (Behind our man Dillon but ahead of Texas' Quinn Ewers.) The tOSU Blue Chip Roster features two excellent RBs in Henderson and Judkins who transferred in from Ole Miss. The WRs even without Marvin Harrison Jr., will be elite and a 4* TE is on the roster waiting to replace Cade Stover, one of this season's top TEs in the NFL draft. 

The OL has been an issue for tOSU; good but not great. This could be the only weak link on the entire Buckeyes roster in 2024, as so noted below. 

Ohio State averaged 31 points a game in 2023 with a good but not great fit at QB. McCord had tough duty following Justin Fields and CJ Stroud. I expect, especially with a 'lightweight schedule' that Ohio State will exceed this average by quite a bit in 2024. Kelly and the O have the luxury of beginning the season with three home games vs. Akron, W. Michigan, and Marshall. Three G5 teams that all finished with losing records. Akron and W. MI. were not bowl eligible and Marshall lost its bowl game to finish 6-7. 

Before the trip to Eugene on 10/12, Ohio State plays at Michigan State and home vs. Iowa. Close to a lock to be 5-0 when Ohio State plays Oregon. The Ducks will also be favored in the first five games setting up a B1G Battle of the Os in Autzen. 

I would have preferred for O'Brien to stay in Columbus and for Chip to stay at UCLA. Chip will have lots of shiny new toys to play with on offense in Columbus. UCLA with DTR at QB, finished 3rd in the nation in 2022 in total offense. I do not think Will Howard is as good as DTR but he will be able to be both a pass and run threat. 

A happy Chipper = a tough out.

WWW.ELEVENWARRIORS.COM

A Cotton Bowl collapse calls for every aspect of Ohio State's offensive line to come under the microscope entering the 2024 offseason.

Thanks for your take, John, I agree. One thing for sure, it will be entertaining.

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2024 at 11:52 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

I personally think Chip caught lightning in a bottle at the UO and the moment has passed. I also think Day might be creating a bit of an echo chamber that won’t help tOSU evolve…but they do have a LOT of talent.

Yes, talent shouldn't be the issue at Ohio State. Time to see what Chip has left in the tank.

On 3/11/2024 at 11:54 AM, Drake said:

The hiring of CK did not push tOSU into the National Championship spotlight. They were already a favorite before the hire. Therefore, Day and Kelly will be under scrutiny, and pressure, to produce that championship. 

The part that I like….

Oregon is on a collision course with them, and can impact that outcome. 

btw…I also am of the opinion that the college football world has caught up to “CK’s genius.”

Yes, Chip created something new that nobody was used to, but the world has long passed caught up. We'll see how he now does with only offense to worry about and elite talent. 

On 3/11/2024 at 2:52 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Talking about proof in the pudding around Irish Guys is dangerous. 😁

• Haha 1

The half-of-the-time that I am right....I remind people until I am insufferable.  My track record with Chip Kelly is pretty good, and below is what I wrote before he began at UCLA..."I see good seasons at Westwood, (8 or 9 wins max, Mora or less) but not contending for National Championships as Chip did at Oregon."

FISHDUCK.COM

Charles Fischer of FishDuck.com wonders aloud if Chip Kelly can avoid many of mistakes he made in Eugene that could be easily averted … if he wants to.

FISHDUCK.COM

Charles Fischer of FishDuck.com reviews reasons why the Chip Kelly offense will and won’t be successful at UCLA.

Chip Kelly will not average over 35 points per game in 2024, and that is with a lighter schedule.  At minimum?  Will Stein will average more points-per-game at Oregon than Chip will with Ohio State.  (Think about that statement for a moment....whew!)

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I find it slightly humorous that coaches (and players) lose so much of their luster when they no longer wear yellow and green (or whatever other colors the Ducks are currently modeling).

The Chipper took a good offense and made it amazing. He made Dixon into a potential Heisman candidate (before injury) when Dixon was so unsure about football he played baseball the summer prior.

Between the CK offense, and the Fishduck website, football is not the same anywhere.

One of the reasons CK was so successful at Oregon, he had better players to work with.

He may have even better players at tOSU. 

They need a better run game, maybe now they'll have one. And even though good teams have caught up to the spread, playing at tempo is still tough for everyone. 

I think a happier Chip will make for a more productive Chip.

He doesn't have to score 40 per game in the B1G to win, just against the likes of Oregon.

I'm so glad we play them in Autzen. 

I'll always love CK for what he did here, but I want him to continue to go 0- Fer against us in Autzen. 

Sco Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/11/2024 at 5:59 PM, DanLduck said:

I find it slightly humorous that coaches (and players) lose so much of their luster when they no longer wear yellow and green (or whatever other colors the Ducks are currently modeling).

The Chipper took a good offense and made it amazing. He made Dixon into a potential Heisman candidate (before injury) when Dixon was so unsure about football he played baseball the summer prior.

Between the CK offense, and the Fishduck website, football is not the same anywhere.

One of the reasons CK was so successful at Oregon, he had better players to work with.

He may have even better players at tOSU. 

They need a better run game, maybe now they'll have one. And even though good teams have caught up to the spread, playing at tempo is still tough for everyone. 

I think a happier Chip will make for a more productive Chip.

He doesn't have to score 40 per game in the B1G to win, just against the likes of Oregon.

I'm so glad we play them in Autzen. 

I'll always love CK for what he did here, but I want him to continue to go 0- Fer against us in Autzen. 

Sco Ducks!

I wanted Chip to go dominate the NFL and was rooting for him at UCLA as well. Given how few of our offensive players from his era really did much in the NFL, I would also argue that his schemes made good college players great at Oregon, which is a tribute to him. The pac south was pretty poor during most of his time at UCLA, he should have had enough talent once or twice to make some noise, and it didn’t really happen.

Not luster lost for me, just the fact he has not sustained any success since leaving us, which was quite a while ago now.

PS New Englanders are never happy 😅

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1