FishDuck Article

Rob Mullens: Is it Sloth or Apathy?

Hello, Rob, this is Obidiah Dee, thanks for taking my call. How did I get your private number, you ask? Why shouldn’t you hang up, you ask? Well, Rob, a good friend of mine is one of the founding members of Division Street and he gave me your number to be used one time only. I’d be happy to let ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Hello, Rob, this is Obidiah Dee, thanks for taking my call. How did I get your private number, you ask? Why shouldn’t you hang up, you ask? Well...
  • Applause 4

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Everything you wrote today Jon, is excellent!  I couldn't have expressed myself better.  I still haven't heard a legitimate reason from the AD for his decisions.

The best line in your article, "Rob, you and your friends did not seek a path toward a settlement, you folded like a cheap suit."

I wish Rob was more like Winston Churchill, "Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Keep the articles coming Jon.  I appreciate your point of view!

• Thanks 1

I enjoyed reading some of my complaints also. I do believe for that the removal of TT from the schedule this year to add the Beavis game was garbage but there were a LOT of fans that decried "tradition" because the game was removed--I was NOT one of them. We may have people in this forum that like having the game?

The robbing of the entire Pac12 monies has been the reason why I would never schedule any game with the Beavis or Fougs. They don't need any national attention brought by any team with a footprint in football or basketball. They can have the baseball and gymnastic spotlight.

Anyone that believes they "deserve" the monies need to examine how they invested their share of the Pac monies the last few decades. You reap what you sew...or steal it like a common meth addict--we have many examples of those the PNW.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Jon, thank you for this article.  What Mullens has done is unbelievably incompetent, and he should answer for it.  Another point comes from the season ticket holders, those of us who are OBD.  Rob, you removed a great game from the schedule, and gave up what will probably be Oregon's share at 35 million easily to the Pig-2, and then you will come to us later for more donations?

More donations after you have given away an incredible amount like that?

And you reward their thieving behavior with a Civil War home game to save their season ticket revenue earnings for 2024?

Rob Mullens...

giphy.gif

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I'm glad they're still playing. And if OBD buries then in the dirt so much the better.

Personally I've moved on. It's one less thing that's not all that important in my personal day to day to get my goat. I know there's enough that boils my blood more directly relevant to my well being than either the Beavs or the Cougs.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Grateful, hats off for moving on. However, this is a gift that will continue to keep on giving over the course of the NCAA Tournament payout. What happens to the Pac-2/12 after the NCAA two-year grace period to rebuild a conference to at least eight teams? If there is no longer a Pac-12, should the Pac-2 continue to receive 100% of the basketball tourney payout? 

The Pac-2 is using the 10 teams leaving as the result of the Pac-12 business failing money, to among other things buy game inventory from the MW. The MW charged the two a significant amount for games to be played in 2024 and 2025.

Here's the hook Grateful, the MW only agreed to this under the condition that it would cost the Pac-2 $10 Million, in addition to the exit fee the departing MW team would have to pay, for every departing MW team that in the future affiliates with the Pac-2 under the Pac-12 trademark or otherwise. 

Is this the act of two teams intending to rebuild a conference or two teams looking for a lifeline as they rip off their former partners; partners who delivered 90% of the money? A lifeline that for two years means not having to share with new conference members. And it's Oregon that is 'greedy,' right?

I would appreciate it if you would provide your reasons for being happy that a home game vs a P4 team was called off to play a game on the road vs. a G5 team. I certainly respect your opinion, but I'm not certain of the 'why' for any other reason perhaps than 'Tradition.' 

The game being played in Corvallis is an economic hit to Lane County, an entity the UO has to regularly do business with. Were representatives of the County and the cities of Eugene/Springfield consulted before this decision was made?

It's only a short trip up the road, but in a season when you are playing eight games in a row without a break why add another away game? 

Thanks for the comment. I am certain that other friends of Puddles are fine with all of 'this' just going away. In my case, I wouldn't ask a thief who breaks into my house to stay for dinner. 

All the best and Go Ducks!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

There are ten other teams in the same situation as Oregon as far as the Pig-2 is concerned. With that in mind I can almost give Rob(bed) a pass on responsibility for the payouts, liability within the Pac-12 money's.

What blows me away is to give the beavs a home game, and to take a home game away from us. You give the beavs even more money while screwing the Oregon faithful out of a home game?

This is where you have to look at the two sides of the coin and make a decision. Should I help the beavs out, or do I stay loyal to the fans. Rob(bed) made his decision and all I can say is 'did he get a kick-back or what was going on!'

Most of the time a school is left looking for a new AD when he leaves. I would say we should start looking now, and give him notice of intent to look for somebody who can lead us going forward. We need somebody who has the best interest of the fans, and the players, that isn't Rob(bed). Too many boneheaded decisions, I will say it, time to move on!

200w.gif

• Salute 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1

This was in Wilner's column on March 23...

"Arizona defeated Dayton on Saturday, pushing the unit count to 10 and $20 million.

That said, the NCAA revenue is contingent on Pac-12 survival. If the conference dissolves or if it becomes a different legal entity, a source said, the revenue earned this month from the Tournament will revert to the 12 current schools, regardless of future conference affiliations.

Also, any additional members of the Pac-12 — if we assume WSU and OSU pursue expansion in some form — might attempt to negotiate access to a portion of the NCAA units.

And it’s unclear how the CFP would handle revenue distributions if a Pac-8 or Pac-10 were to emerge in a few years, with schools from the Mountain West or other conferences."

Me, today...this is why I think OSU/WSU will continue the charade of being Pac12 as long as they can...it's for the money.  Not just whatever the 2024 Tournament pays out over the next 6 years, but also the money from Tournaments prior to 2024 which are still being paid out.  I read an estimate somewhere that those prior Tournament's payout will be around $50 million cumulative over the next five years.

• Applause 1

On 3/25/2024 at 1:53 PM, Haywarduck said:

There are ten other teams in the same situation as Oregon as far as the Pig-2 is concerned. With that in mind I can almost give Rob(bed) a pass on responsibility for the payouts, liability within the Pac-12 money's.

What blows me away is to give the beavs a home game, and to take a home game away from us. You give the beavs even more money while screwing the Oregon faithful out of a home game?

This is where you have to look at the two sides of the coin and make a decision. Should I help the beavs out, or do I stay loyal to the fans. Rob(bed) made his decision and all I can say is 'did he get a kick-back or what was going on!'

Most of the time a school is left looking for a new AD when he leaves. I would say we should start looking now, and give him notice of intent to look for somebody who can lead us going forward. We need somebody who has the best interest of the fans, and the players, that isn't Rob(bed). Too many boneheaded decisions, I will say it, time to move on!

200w.gif

Rob(bed?) Perfecto!

Good afternoon, Jon. Thanks for your respectful response. I'm afraid that I've unintentionally disrespected you and others who might take umbrage with my "moving on" position. I'll leave it at that.

To all fellow OBD fans, I apologize for my post. I've unintentionally crossed the threshold of fishduck posting acceptability. And for that I'm sorry if my words hurt anyone.

Good day all and goodnight... 

• Thumbs Up 1

The offending sentence was edited out before hardly anyone saw it, and what is left is fine.

A safe way for everyone to post is simply to post your own opinion and that is it. Nothing in reference to others and their opinions, just state your own opinion, facts and relevant logic that applies.

We want debate, we want to see all sides, and have very successfully done it now for a couple of years without taking obvious or oblique shots at each other.

My thanks to you and everyone for understanding,

Charles 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/25/2024 at 3:58 PM, The Grateful Duck said:

Good afternoon, Jon. Thanks for your respectful response. I'm afraid that I've unintentionally disrespected you and others who might take umbrage with my "moving on" position. I'll leave it at that.

To all fellow OBD fans, I apologize for my post. I've unintentionally crossed the threshold of fishduck posting acceptability. And for that I'm sorry if my words hurt anyone.

Good day all and goodnight... 

No way did you insult me, my friend. I think your position is completely understandable.

I'm mindful of the Serenity Prayer: Give me the wisdom to accept things I cannot change.

In light of how the Pac-12 break-up went down, it's entirely reasonable to not be subsumed by anything out of your control. 

I'm a frustrated old attorney who cannot help but wonder if the leaders of the Pac-10 gave any consideration at all to alternative courses of action.

The House and other anti-trust decisions will be decided within a year or two. House could bring in a $4 Billion judgment against the NCAA and its member schools. Athletic departments might need all of the money available in any manner to pay their share if the NCAA does not file bankruptcy and deal with the judgment as part of a liquidation plan. 

$30 Million and counting is a lot to walk away from.

Thanks for the follow-up comment.

• Great post! 2

The tourney units sound like they could ultimately come into question unless the PIG2 stand completely pat for up to 6 years. If they are stupid enough to not move on, and only hang on to dwindling dollars earned in a less lucrative era, instead of trying to find a way to make new dollars, it will not end well for them. These old dollars are pennies on the future dollars that are out there to be had.

I’ll say again, IMO we should not have immediately donated a home game to them in year one. We gave up a home game and gave them a home game while in the midst of litigating our exit? That is insane IMO. We should have just skipped a year to let things settle down a bit…no one would die from skipping a year no matter how much tradition we have had.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Jon.

Your wisdom is matched by your knowledge. And perhaps by your loyalty to OBD. We definitely share that passion.

Thanks for your time and insight. Someday, I hope, these "Beaver difficulties" will be behind us and we can just focus on the games being played. Legalese is not my register nor my lane. I'll leave to that wiser souls.

Cheerio. 

• Thanks 1

Perhaps the skip should be for six years...

WWW.SPORTICO.COM

The Pac-12 has reached a settlement between its remaining and departing members over how they'll split league revenue and future income.

On 3/25/2024 at 5:28 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

The tourney units sound like they could ultimately come into question unless the PIG2 stand completely pat for up to 6 years. If they are stupid enough to not move on, and only hang on to dwindling dollars earned in a less lucrative era, instead of trying to find a way to make new dollars, it will not end well for them. These old dollars are pennies on the future dollars that are out there to be had.

I’ll say again, IMO we should not have immediately donated a home game to them in year one. We gave up a home game and gave them a home game while in the midst of litigating our exit? That is insane IMO. We should have just skipped a year to let things settle down a bit…no one would die from skipping a year no matter how much tradition we have had.

If the Pac-12 (2) is not in existence two years from the official expiry date, the remaining tourney payouts would go to the schools that earned the money.

Whether this issue was addressed or not I do not know. 

The way OSU/WSU have legally taken the pants down of the 10 departing schools I can't imagine a scenario where the attorneys for those two allow the conference to disband/dissolve before fiscal 2026.

After the end of fiscal 2026, if the conference is still in existence OSU/WSU get everything.  If it dissolves before then, they would have to share any remaining assets on a pro-rata basis.

"Remaining assets" could mean, for example, OSU/WSU sell off the Pac12 Network and time it as such to avoid sharing the proceeds.   Read the Sportico link I posted above.

I do not know Rob Mullins.  I am going to assume that he is a very capable AD due to the fact that he has been at Oregon quite a while and has not been pushed out by those who have $$,$$$,$$$,$$$ and know what is going on.  Also, I'm going to assume that the possibility of "losing" the Pac-12 money going forward was baked into the cake with the AD.  They must think that it will pencil out.  Going forward this is what I will believe.  It makes sense due to Oregon's ability to take care of itself.  The math was probably done and in a few years we will be in a much better place.

******4-D chess, tin foil hat warning*********

Notice UW's AD problems?  Are we reading Hardcore Husky?

Seems to me that Washington is having financial trouble.  So very sad.  That half share discount, IMO, will play hell with them much more than it will play hell with OBD.  Will UCLA be any different?  Even with a full share?  I believe we have our poop in a pile and will blast through this half share era not even noticing it due to our unique situation.  Washington?  Not so much.  This brings a tear to my eye.

OAC is doing exactly what we would do.  I have to believe that this, again, was baked into the cake.  Let them have their money.  In the long term it is not all that much.  What happens when it runs out? 

I really hope they use every cent on debt from the new set of urinal bleachers they put up.  The cost ratio for each toilet on that place is high.  Should have put in a trough.

My biggest fear is that the taxpayers of Oregon will be supporting that whole clown show going forward.  Heck, it has already started.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/26/2024 at 7:52 AM, DC Featherbutt said:

My biggest fear is that the taxpayers of Oregon will be supporting that whole clown show going forward.  Heck, it has already started. 

That is a very real concern, getting 10 million from the Oregon legislature already when they are stealing their half of close to 300 million.

You make another great point, in that in the end....the money stolen changes nothing for them.  They are still a G-5 program...

The Beavs and the MTW...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Just going to add this for consideration and context- Mullens is very astute financially and has earned respect among his peers for that. That is also one of the reasons that his name surfaces when jobs open.

Scholz also has deep background in economics - here is his bio for reference: 

My point is, I have to believe that both Mullens and Scholz along with others in athletics like Eric Roedl (who like Mullens is a CPA) analyzed this situation a million ways to Sunday.  I am sure they had every possible data point possible and used every analytics tool possible to figure out the best path forward.  

Please don't take this as defending anyone or the process or even agreement with the final outcome.   My point is I have to believe they considered all possible options and moved forward with the one that made the most sense from all possible angles for EVERYONE involved.  

I get the frustration of keeping the OS game on the schedule as opposed to TT and the big payout to OS and WSU.  Imagine the optics if Oregon had said no way to playing that game.  No one from OS WILL EVER admit it, but they need that game on their schedule way more than Oregon does and that rubs alot of UO people the wrong way too.

It's the proverbial rock and a hard place and in the famous words of Bruce Springsteen, 'nobody wins unless everybody wins'.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/26/2024 at 10:32 AM, Augduck said:

Just going to add this for consideration and context- Mullens is very astute financially and has earned respect among his peers for that. That is also one of the reasons that his name surfaces when jobs open.

Scholz also has deep background in economics - here is his bio for reference: 

My point is, I have to believe that both Mullens and Scholz along with others in athletics like Eric Roedl (who like Mullens is a CPA) analyzed this situation a million ways to Sunday.  I am sure they had every possible data point possible and used every analytics tool possible to figure out the best path forward.  

Please don't take this as defending anyone or the process or even agreement with the final outcome.   My point is I have to believe they considered all possible options and moved forward with the one that made the most sense from all possible angles for EVERYONE involved.  

I get the frustration of keeping the OS game on the schedule as opposed to TT and the big payout to OS and WSU.  Imagine the optics if Oregon had said no way to playing that game.  No one from OS WILL EVER admit it, but they need that game on their schedule way more than Oregon does and that rubs alot of UO people the wrong way too.

It's the proverbial rock and a hard place and in the famous words of Bruce Springsteen, 'nobody wins unless everybody wins'.

Good post!

I don’t doubt they’re astute. Doesn’t mean they didn’t hit the panic button when it came to fully considering the exit. It also occurs to me that they didn’t necessarily think through that nearly the entire league would be leaving, and would evolve into the absurd PIG2. At the very least, he should be criticized for not communicating with fellow exiting members to develop an exit strategy that dissolved the conference, there was definitely a sense of panic.

All that being said, there’s still no excuse for canceling a home game and gifting a home game to someone at the very moment they're trying to pickpocket you. Again, it seemed like hitting the panic button and the reaction of a schoolboy that felt guilty.

No pass from me on that.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Great post! 1

My guess is that the 10 escapees thought they had it covered when they announced their departures would be effective August 1, 2024.  The B1G and others announced the new members would join August 2, 2024.

Judge Gary Libey threw a wrench in it when he agreed with OSU/WSU that the date of announcement, not the effective date, is what matters.

In retrospect, the escapees should have let rumors flourish for months until finally "announcing" on August 1, 2024?  Can you imagine the "public angst" from OSU/WSU who then would complain the escapees waited until the last second to give notice?

Perhaps in "Libey World" a landlord who receive a notice of departure from a renter six months in advance should no longer expect to have an enforceable contract with the renter because the renter has given advance notice?

• Applause 1

Either Sloth or Apathy?

It is more like Sloth AND Apathy.

Rob’s a nice and respectable AD.  He’s certainly not a trail blazer or innovator. Oregon deserves better results.

Step up Rob, or get off the Ducks bus.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/26/2024 at 2:28 PM, HDuck said:

My guess is that the 10 escapees thought they had it covered when they announced their departures would be effective August 1, 2024.  The B1G and others announced the new members would join August 2, 2024.

Judge Gary Libey threw a wrench in it when he agreed with OSU/WSU that the date of announcement, not the effective date, is what matters.

In retrospect, the escapees should have let rumors flourish for months until finally "announcing" on August 1, 2024?  Can you imagine the "public angst" from OSU/WSU who then would complain the escapees waited until the last second to give notice?

Perhaps in "Libey World" a landlord who receive a notice of departure from a renter six months in advance should no longer expect to have an enforceable contract with the renter because the renter has given advance notice?

$65 Million to "settle" what? A Washington state court determined that the Pac-2 were the sole board members and at the same time warned the two not to abuse the decisions.

Abuse the situation is EXACTLY what the Pig-2 did. The Pac-2 filed no suit claiming damages against the Pac-10. Being the only 2 members of the 'board' means these two owed a fiduciary duty to the other members picking up 80% plus of the conference liabilities.

This is bass-awkward. 

I ask again: What in the hell is going on out there? And Pac-10, Is there a lawyer in the house? One that passed a bar exam or two? One that knows something about corporate law and civil litigation?

$65 Million out the door when you were being sued regarding an administrative matter and not a suit claiming damages. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I wanna know how Rob is gonna handle Oregon's future schedules from now on, IIRC he once spoke about that with John Canzano and said it's difficult to get good teams to visit Autzen.

But hopefully he can agree with Greg Byrne to finally get that Oregon vs. Bama matchup scheduled once in and for all, regardless if it is a kickoff game or a home and home series.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1