The Grateful Duck

Oregonian OBD Fans: A Question?

I grew up in southern Oregon, I've been a Ducks fan since I can remember. My mom and dad grew up near Eugene/Springfield and my mom was a Daisy Duck. Yet...

I have 3 solid Beaver fans (that I know of) in my immediate family as well. I've had to wear Beaver gear for a month after Duck losses in the Civil War. I still occasionally wear the Beaver gear because I'm indifferent to Beaver hate.

Am I considered disloyal to OBD? (Under no circumstances would I wear purple. We have purple napkins which I refuse to use. I hate the Huskies! And I live in the greater Seattle metroplex. It sucks!)

My question: are there other homegrown Duck fans like me or am I really a pariah, at best a platypus?

• Thumbs Up 1

To each his/her own.  We have had platypus fans from the beginning, and as one of the biggest "haters" of all that is orange at the moment--I was one of the biggest supporter of both schools for my entire life....up to a few months ago..

I grew up in Corvallis, and loved-to-hate-the-Ducks, as my father was a professor at OSU.  But I went to Oregon, and thus began 37 years of cheering for both schools except for Civil War games.  I even had season tickets for BOTH teams for a number of years.  (Imagine that? Mr. FishDuck with season tickets to OSU games?)

But this stealing of millions they did not earn, and the shameless attitude of their fans has really drawn a line in the sand for me.  I will not support the Beavers in any way again, and will continue to actively make jokes at their expense.

If you wish to continue to cheer for them--I respect that, but would suggest you do not expect that of others here.  The Pig-2 are taking over 30 million total from Oregon Athletics, and it is unconscionable, yet they have no shame.  Not the actions of winners, IMHO.

And they will waste the money stolen, and still be a Group-of-5 team five years from now.  (Bad management got them to this point, so why would that change?)

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I have also lived in Corvallis. I enjoyed my time there, especially Squirrels. Also some late nights at the Peacock...maybe I drank the Kool-aid? 

I have to admit to wearing orange for 3 years in grade school when my family lived in Corvallis, but luckily we moved to Eugene as I went into 5th grade and never looked back. 

My family now has 3 generations of UO degree holders, and none of us even own anything orange, it’s an evil color.

I used to marginally root for and wish them well, as long as their doing well didn’t interfere with our success or prospects. Their success after all would help our success, the better the conference, the better we look when we win.

No more. The last year has made it clear how much they’ve depended on us for relevance over the last 20 years. They blame us for their shortcomings and then decide what the heck, let’s squeeze out every last drop and somehow finagle a home game, which alone is probably worth $20m on the ledger to them, at least. 

I’m guessing eventually I won’t wish them ill, but I want them to struggle while they are living off stolen time. Once they solidify and use up their looted funds, I could see becoming indifferent.

But orange will still be an evil color.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

To paraphrase and double quote Kevin Leary "those cockroaches are dead to me".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I used to not wish ill on them but with their fans decrying how OBD should have helped their school find a home. Then stealing all the monies from the departing schools and telling everyone it's the least the departing schools can do. The best that they will do is continue to be mediocre in the mountain west or completely go bankrupt with their mismanagement of funds.

Either way. I won't be rooting for or purchasing anything with their logo on it even if OBD logo is on it too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to claim we called the rivalry game the "Civil War" because of our civility towards each other.

Many (most?) of us are related to or work closely with fans of that large water rodent team. So there is less reason to "hate" those guys.

Plus we win more than lose, at least in recent years.

So from my perspective, it's not a betrayal to root for the "other team" as an OBD member occasionally. 

I do question the wearing of orange/black when not losing a bet...

But to each his own.

But can you imagine running into Mr Fishduck at the market wearing orange!

Lord have mercy!

As for Pig2 stealing $$, what goes around, comes around. I expect they will end up being just an average G5 team.

On 4/1/2024 at 2:32 PM, DanLduck said:

But can you imagine running into Mr FishDuck at the market wearing orange!

Lord have mercy!

Over 20 years ago...I actually did have some OSU shirts to appease my extended family when going to games.  

Not anymore!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

A native Oregonian I too, grew up rooting for both schools, back when they both sucked big time on the gridiron.

I have family who attended both, and I actually had a warm spot in my heart for Beavus, right up until they shamelessly took the money they didn’t earn.

There are a contingent of people who root for every in state school, as long as they're not playing their designated favorite. There are graduates of one school, but a sports fan of another. There's no guidebook for being a "real" fan.

But I would say for myself, that it's one program. Oregon State used to recruit for the same guys as Oregon. Now the two aren't in the same tier, but the bragging rights still exist.

Duke fans relish North Carolina losses on the hard court. Miami fans would never pull for FSU. Same goes for Texas and Texas A&M. I'm inline with these people. I grew up around Ohio State fans, none of them care to see Cincy win at all. Michigan fans look down at MSU. Auburn fans vs Alabama fans is on another level.

So enjoy sports how you want. Don't worry about having your Duck card pulled. Just don't expect others to follow the path, and expect some ribbing.

• Thumbs Up 1