Autzen Magic

Stubblefied Returns to Oregon

Tony Stubblefield is returning to help coach and recruit for the men's program.  I believe this is big news.  The Ducks were playing last season without its' full allotment of coaches and it is clear that Dana really wanted Stubblefield back. 

Assuming the Ducks can add a couple of quality transfers (another big and a good shooting wing that can play D) to a core returning linuep of Bittle, Shelstad, Tracey, Barthlemy, Cook and probably Evans (I'd be surprised if Oquendo returns), I believe that the Ducks will again be dancing in 2025.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Stubblefield, who spent 11 seasons working as an assistant at UO, is returning to Dana Altman’s staff.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

The guy I want, #10 Robbie Avila.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Here are the best transfers in the portal so far during college basketball's 2024 offseason

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

GREAT to have him back!

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

As I surmised, Oquendo is transferring.  He could attack the basket, but he could not be relied upon to hit the 3 and his defense was less than stellar so Dana moved him down the rotation.  It's too bad he was unable to better assimilate;  I had higher hopes for him.  Good luck to him wherever he lands.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Oquendo averaged 7.2 points, 2.4 rebounds and 1.0 assist for the Ducks

On 4/10/2024 at 11:25 AM, Haywarduck said:

I'd rather have Eugene Omoruyi's "little" brother, 6'11" Clifford.  Would be a big help on defense and would, in my opinion, better complement Bittle.

Great news! 

As to who to get in the portal, I wouldn’t hold my breath on Bittle being a productive starter. Get the dude with glasses in a heartbeat if he’s an option! 😆

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 4/10/2024 at 1:44 PM, Autzen Magic said:

I'd rather have Eugene Omoruyi's "little" brother, 6'11" Clifford.  Would be a big help on defense and would, in my opinion, better complement Bittle.

One would think given the name and Rutgers parallel that Eugene and Clifford would be related. Turns out not though, as Omoruyi is a fairly common Nigerian name and there is not a family connection. 

Regardless, Clifford is a talented big that would help ease the loss of Dante on the inside and it would be great if Oregon could land him.

And Stub coming back to Eugene is a huge get for DA and the Ducks. Great assistant coach and recruiter that former players rave about. 

On 4/10/2024 at 3:39 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

One would think given the name and Rutgers parallel that Eugene and Clifford would be related. Turns out not though, as Omoruyi is a fairly common Nigerian name and there is not a family connection. 

Thanks for the correction. My mistake just goes to prove the old adage of what happens when you ASSUME something ...

Mr Stubbs may be the transfer of the year!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/10/2024 at 11:25 AM, Haywarduck said:

Probably not going to happen:  Sources told ESPN that Avila is a strong favorite to follow former ISU coach Josh Schertz to Saint Louis, where Schertz was hired in the wake of ISU's regular-season Missouri Valley title and a run to the NIT Finals.

Avila's portal entry is marked by a red exclamation point, which means not to reach out to him, a sign that he's already made up his mind on his destination.

But no harm in wishing.

How about "Dante lite" = Oumar Ballo from AZ:  7-feet and 260 pounds makes him a difficult player for opponents to manage. He averaged 12.9 points and 10.1 rebounds in 2023-24 for Arizona on 65.8% shooting. There isn't much versatility to his game, and Ballo's free-throw shooting dipped to a career-worst 49.5% this past season. But he's a productive bruiser with a proven track record at an elite program.  

On 4/10/2024 at 8:47 PM, Steven A said:

Probably not going to happen:  Sources told ESPN that Avila is a strong favorite to follow former ISU coach Josh Schertz to Saint Louis, where Schertz was hired in the wake of ISU's regular-season Missouri Valley title and a run to the NIT Finals.

Avila's portal entry is marked by a red exclamation point, which means not to reach out to him, a sign that he's already made up his mind on his destination.

But no harm in wishing.

If Stubby goes after Avila it appears that Schertz will be his Arch enemy, no?

Will Schertz lead Saint Louie to Arch madness? 

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

Stubblefield and Altman are the yen and yang type of coaches that can provide a team with a little more balance and cohesiveness. Not all players connect and learn in the same fashion and having a strong assistant coach, That's on the same page, helps the team to gel quicker and be more resilient.

In the transfer portal era the Ducks have struggled to solidify their team in to a cohesive unit like the teams when Stubblefield was around. 

We've got plenty of talent to work with now's the time to put it all together a make a deep run in the tournament.

• Thumbs Up 1

I cannot express how exciting this is for Oregon Mens Basketball.  Stubblefield is a "players" coach and understands how to "teach" players how to use and improve on their God given abilities.

Many, many years ago I remember my first true exposure to Tony's coaching knowledge and style was a video showing him working with "Jordan Bell" on downlow, in the key, footwork and body control to dominate the boards offensively and defensively.  I was very impressed with his ability to coach the "nuances" of the inside game in just a two minute video.

I believe some of the frustrations Duck Mens Basketball has experienced over the past few years probably had a lot to do with the lack of a coach that has these abilities to help coalesce and elevate an individuals game.

The fact that Dana Altman recognizes "game" from his former assistant and welcomed him back with open arms shows me that there are No Ego issues, just the desire to continue to compete at the highest level.  Dana and Tony have worked Very Well together over the years.  I think Mr. Stubblefield "shot his shot" and is now personally satisfied to be part of the Altman team, once again.

Welcome back Tony.  Missed Ya!

Now lets put together a team to take on the B1G 's gauntlet of top college basketball programs!  Go 🦆🏀!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1